IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Bumper Cover Replacement 08' IS350.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 11:29 AM
getfunky
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rear Bumper Cover Replacement 08' IS350.

This morning my mom decided to park her car in the middle of the driveway.... my driveway is pretty long and narrow and kinda curves around my house so as I was backing out, I hit her front bumper. My dumb fault for only using the side mirrors and not checking my rear view mirror and the handy rear backup cam. So much fail... i've been pissed off and embarrased about it since it happened... The bright side is that my mom's car appears to be fine, she just has a bent license plate.

Anyway, right now i'm in the market for an oem rear bumper cover(maybe even an aftermarket but I haven't seen any that i like so far). I'm pretty sure that's all I need since the damage isn't that severe. My question is how hard is it to replace/install a rear bumper? Are there any DIYs on the procedure?
Old 10-12-11, 11:38 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/4569.html

OEM bumper cover from sewell - painted. Make sure to log in for CL discount!
Old 10-12-11, 11:43 AM
getfunky
Driver

$550!!! Even with the discount im assuming that'll still be expensive. Perhaps I'm better off finding a used one and repaint it?
Old 10-12-11, 04:01 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats not the right one, Go to here
http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2008.html
And then go to part number 5215953905
This is the replacement OEM Bumper UN Painted, If you can find a paint job + this for cheaper then the one posted above then youll be good.

It should be about $250 to paint.
Old 10-12-11, 04:26 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just FYI, you can "upgrade" to the '09+ rear bumper very easily. It's a subtle difference, but looks better IMO.
Old 10-12-11, 06:04 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A new rear bumper from Sewell is about $500 to $550 shipped. I was quoted that much just to repaint it. Might as well get a new one. I second 09+ one. Heard its direct fit.
Old 10-12-11, 06:28 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Installing/taking apart the bumper is very easy. All year model IS bumper should be a direct fit for you. Here's a DIY
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-method.html

The best place to get a replacement bumper will be from sewell. Trust me, you won't find a better price. First if you want to buy a bumper, its minimum of $200, then another $400 to paint. The painted sewell bumper is only $500 so your already saving money.

How big is the accident? If your a little tight on money just go get some touch up paint for like $20. If the damage is really low, maybe a gfx kit will cover it up? Post a picture and we'll be able to asses what can be done.
Old 10-12-11, 07:00 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy Sewell if you can spend $500 which should not be much if we can afford a $40K+ car or buy a used one and as other have said, "pay for painting and may turn out to be the same price" or your last option is (if the damage is not so bad and you can be tatience, search on ebay. There are tons of bumbers there. YOur luck, you find the color you need and with very ninor or no damage for a fraction of Sewel'sl price. Your choice!

Good luck.
Old 10-13-11, 06:49 PM
getfunky
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
Just FYI, you can "upgrade" to the '09+ rear bumper very easily. It's a subtle difference, but looks better IMO.
AWESOME! The newer 09 bumpers do look nice, but barely any difference. If the 08 and 09+ is the same price I think i'll just get the 09 bumper. Does the 2010-11 have a different rear as well?

A new rear bumper from Sewell is about $500 to $550 shipped. I was quoted that much just to repaint it. Might as well get a new one. I second 09+ one. Heard its direct fit.
Yeah good point... I thought about it as well and i think i'll just buy the one from sewell.

Installing/taking apart the bumper is very easy. All year model IS bumper should be a direct fit for you. Here's a DIY
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...ng-method.html

The best place to get a replacement bumper will be from sewell. Trust me, you won't find a better price. First if you want to buy a bumper, its minimum of $200, then another $400 to paint. The painted sewell bumper is only $500 so your already saving money.

How big is the accident? If your a little tight on money just go get some touch up paint for like $20. If the damage is really low, maybe a gfx kit will cover it up? Post a picture and we'll be able to asses what can be done.
Thanks, I'll just go ahead and order the bumper from sewell. And the diy looks fairly simple, thanks for posting, I googled but couldn't find the diy.... The accident wasn't anything crazy but it's bad enough... This isn't just a slight ding, it threw the bumper off alignment a bit and theres a puncture. Guess this is good excuse to go for an 09 or later year bumper. I'm just curious if they made any changes to the rear bumper after the 09'.

I'm so glad I have an account on clublexus... Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 10-13-11, 06:51 PM
getfunky
Driver

Originally Posted by kingster
You can buy Sewell if you can spend $500 which should not be much if we can afford a $40K+ car or buy a used one and as other have said, "pay for painting and may turn out to be the same price" or your last option is (if the damage is not so bad and you can be tatience, search on ebay. There are tons of bumbers there. YOur luck, you find the color you need and with very ninor or no damage for a fraction of Sewel'sl price. Your choice!

Good luck.
Yeah, I checked ebay and at first was happy to see some listed for around $180 used... But like everyone is saying... you add shipping and then a good quality paint job and price would probably be just as much if not more than the one off sewell.
Old 10-13-11, 08:59 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by getfunky
AWESOME! The newer 09 bumpers do look nice, but barely any difference. If the 08 and 09+ is the same price I think i'll just get the 09 bumper. Does the 2010-11 have a different rear as well?
Nope, 2009-2012 are all have the same rear bumper.
Old 10-18-11, 10:04 AM
getfunky
Driver

Thank you brociouz... Just a heads up for people wanting to replace their rear bumper. It might be cheaper to buy it from your local lexus dealership. I was planning on buying it from sewell but even after the clublexus discount, the total still comes out to be $622 after shipping. The guy from my lexus dealership quoted me $434 over the phone... Hope he was giving me accurate information because that's almost $200 less than sewell!
Old 10-18-11, 10:07 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^was that quote for painted? Also remember local dealership has to charge tax too.
Old 10-18-11, 10:12 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by getfunky
Thank you brociouz... Just a heads up for people wanting to replace their rear bumper. It might be cheaper to buy it from your local lexus dealership. I was planning on buying it from sewell but even after the clublexus discount, the total still comes out to be $622 after shipping. The guy from my lexus dealership quoted me $434 over the phone... Hope he was giving me accurate information because that's almost $200 less than sewell!
That sounds like a price for an unpainted unit, also like mentioned above you'll also have to pay for taxes.
Old 10-18-11, 10:14 AM
getfunky
Driver

I'm pretty certain he was talking about the actual bumper cover part. But i'll give them another call sometime to make sure. Here in Texas, tax is around 8 percent so even after tax it's still cheaper than sewell.

:edit:

Completely slipped my mind about it might being unpainted... I'll have to call and double check.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Cover Replacement 08' IS350.