IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Warning lights, oil cap, and coolant level

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 10:09 AM
ExtraZero8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning lights, oil cap, and coolant level

I have a 2008 IS250 AWD, 75k miles. Yesterday I was driving across town and the master warning, check engine, and traction lights popped on, with the TFT display reading check VSC.

In the past I had done some research on this set of warnings (ran out of gas once and they turned on) and read that most of the time the lights aren't a big deal. So when the lights came on yesterday, didn't freak out, I just noted that the performance was fine, there were no smells, noises or smoke, etc. so I decided I'd drive home and schedule a visit to the local Toyota (Lexus is 70 miles away.) Kept an eye on the temp gauge, it stayed at it's normal level without wavering. Got home, parked, went to bed.

This morning I backed out of the driveway so my roommate could get out of the garage and noticed a trail of water on the ground. It rained yesterday, so I didn't think much of it but since the warning lights were still on I figured I'd check the coolant level. Why not?

Pop the hood, the oil cap is off

Why, you might ask? My oil was low a few weeks ago and I added a quart of 5w-30. Then my dumb a** didn't screw the cap back on. Yeah, I know. I've rebuilt 2 rotary engines but I can't manage to pour some grease down a tube.

In a stroke of luck, I had set the oil cap in the clip recess on the engine cover to the right of the engine, and apparently the hood had kept it pinned there the whole time. For your amusement, here is a picture to immortalize my idiocy:

Name:  IMG_7618.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  251.4 KB

Clutch. So, now my question is, could driving 100 miles without the oil cap on cause problems?

Should I disconnect the battery to reset the Check VSC light or let it go away on its own?

I also checked my coolant level. It's at low. At what rate should the coolant drop in an IS250?

I have a relative with an IS250, his water pump failed at 72k (I was initially concerned that this might have happened to my car, hence why I was watching the temp.) How frequently does this occur in IS250s?

Last edited by ExtraZero8; 10-29-15 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Accidentally posted early
Old 10-29-15, 01:13 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Wow, consider yourself lucky! At least you can laugh about it afterwards.

I'd not worry as log as you didn't run low on oil. Sure the motor is to be a "sealed system", but I'm sure the motor's health wasn't affected by the "loose" oil cap.

Now about the coolant; have you looked closely beside and below the water pump looking for coolant crust forming or signs of any fluid trails? These water pump are VERY common to go out; in fact, the previous owner of my '06 IS350 had the water pump replaced at 27k miles!

Once everything is topped off and looking good again, go ahead and reset the battery for good measure. 20 minutes disconnected is a good amount of time.
Old 10-29-15, 07:50 PM
ExtraZero8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky indeed! Would have been even less fun to have to get a new cap.

Topped the coolant. Checked the oil, it seemed either quite high or there was oil in the tube getting on the stick. I don't see how it could be overfilled though, it was a hair before the low mark when I put in 1.5 quarts, which is what the manual calls for to go from low to full.

Haven't gotten a look yet at the water pump to look for the dried coolant yet, though after reading the DIY pump swap write-ups and watching the videos, it's pretty obvious what to look for.

Had some errands to run and the warning lights went off on their own after a couple miles, now that there's actually an oil filler cap on. Nice to not have to d/c the battery and reset the windows and whatnot.