IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Sewell Vent

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 05:32 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sewell Vent

Heres my little vent about Sewell and how I think some of their business practices are a bit disappointing. Sewell is a name on the forum that was associate with good service and good prices for parts, but the more I buy from them the more disappointed I am.

I just recently ordered a few maintenance items from them (replacement wipers etc), I weighted the items I got and they totaled less than 1lb, but they went ahead and charged me 4lb of fedex shipping, in addition to that my package was missing items!

I emailed them about my missing item asking them to just credit me the money for the item I no longer need it. Instead of emailing me back with a message they just sent me a shipping notification, no apology or anything. Its like dealing with a machine. I remember a few years ago they were all about customer service, not I feel theres defiantly a lack of that. Ok thanks for listening guys!
Old 09-26-11, 05:37 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember Sewell is with Lexus north america, Servco is not and we have CL memebers who work for Servco so~ buy locally and thus support local jobs ALTHOUGH going to pick up the parts with that lowered unfriendly driveway is another story
Old 09-26-11, 05:38 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks. I think their shipping is high as well. Really sucks you are in HI and they charged you for 3lbs more than it was. It would have been nice for someone to have contacted you. I guess once dealerships get real big, customer service starts to lack.
Old 09-26-11, 05:52 PM
delphiDH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by weesped
Heres my little vent about Sewell and how I think some of their business practices are a bit disappointing. Sewell is a name on the forum that was associate with good service and good prices for parts, but the more I buy from them the more disappointed I am.

I just recently ordered a few maintenance items from them (replacement wipers etc), I weighted the items I got and they totaled less than 1lb, but they went ahead and charged me 4lb of fedex shipping, in addition to that my package was missing items!

I emailed them about my missing item asking them to just credit me the money for the item I no longer need it. Instead of emailing me back with a message they just sent me a shipping notification, no apology or anything. Its like dealing with a machine. I remember a few years ago they were all about customer service, not I feel theres defiantly a lack of that. Ok thanks for listening guys!
In a practical business world, it is very hard to maintain a good customer satisfaction. Treating a customer one way doesn't mean it is appropriate for another. Workers in companies will have turnovers, so that means everyone will have different agendas over time. Prices and bottom line along with cost of operation will have some influence on the way how a company will operate.

BTW - I am not defending Sewell.
Old 09-26-11, 05:56 PM
Black04IS
Rookie

I live in Dallas and i always get top notch service when i go in there , but one day i went to the parts department and i asked them for a part thats listed on there closeout site and they told me that they couldn't get me the part, the only way was to order it online which is really stupid as i live in Dallas! I have come to the conclusion that sewell parts online is sort of separate from the dealer, the parts guy i talked to wanted to special order me a new center cap for like $50 when they are going for $12 on the closeout page and they have like 20 of them in stock
Old 09-26-11, 06:15 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sucks to hear about these bad experiences. I'm thinking about buying some stuff from them soon and I hope things go smoothly. I've never bought from them before. I've heard some say that they don't reply promptly to your contact attempts, which is one thing I find annoying about buying online.
Old 09-26-11, 06:29 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wunko
Sucks to hear about these bad experiences. I'm thinking about buying some stuff from them soon and I hope things go smoothly. I've never bought from them before. I've heard some say that they don't reply promptly to your contact attempts, which is one thing I find annoying about buying online.
I have placed three orders with them over the past two weeks. So far, not one problem. The one time I contacted them via their site, they replied the next day.

I have ordered:

Filters: Engine Oil Filter-Oil Filter
Gasket: Oils and Fluids-Crush Gasket (Oil drain plug)
Leather Conditioner & Cleaner-Leather Conditioner & Cleaner Set
Steering Damper-Steering Wheel Shake Damper
GFX-Front Lip
All-Weather Floor Mats: 2-Piece-Floor Mat Set - Black (RWD
Old 09-26-11, 06:39 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They do have high shipping but if you order in bulk it offsets the shipping rates. I've placed 4 orders and have yet to have an issue. I did email them once about a part I couldn't find and they replied the next day. So I have nothing bad to say about them. Just don't order a $1 bolt and pay $10 shipping.
Old 09-26-11, 07:27 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

So far I have had pretty good experiences with Sewell... Sorry to hear about the mishap, OP.
Old 09-26-11, 08:00 PM
dackp143
Pole Position

It's like this.. We are getting a shi* ton of cash knocked off the top, getting stuff cheaper than eBay, and I think its okay to pay an extra $10 in shipping. Remember, you maybe ordering 1lb worth of stuff but I promise you they are not packing your boxes and weighing it on a machine. They simply guess-timate the weight. When they over weight an object guess who wins?? FedEx, not Sewell.

They most likely have a couple people running the entire show and are overwhelmed with product and customers. Ever owned a business? The more people they hire then the higher the prices will be. I say just have patience and understanding. Remember, you can just go some where else and pay more for that missing customer service.
Old 09-26-11, 08:01 PM
thebossac
Driver

i think Darrel Diller is the one who responsible for the internet sales. he ignored my emails and calls...i ended up buying the parts from a local dealer (one of our vendors here, Kerry from Westminster Lexus)...
Old 09-26-11, 08:03 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess ( from my experience ) it depends on what the situation is...i purchased 2011 led headlights for my 07', its not mentioned on their site that you have to reuse your old ballast and have to modify your old bracket.i just wanted help with it.well i emailed, pm'd on CL, and called, nobody replied and when called and left message for darryl who, the person on the phone said only knew about the 2011 led's and he or anyone else didnt return the call...

Last edited by Deathrow23; 09-26-11 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 08:14 PM
shizblam
Driver School Candidate

Another thing to consider... The items you bought weighed less than 1 pound, but UPS and FedEx use dimensional weight... Which means - if you ship something that weighs 1 pound at UPS, and its dimensional weight is higher than 1 pound (which it almost certainly will be unless it's very small), you will be charged for the higher amount...

It's standard practice with just about every shipping company.

I shipped an Upper Innercooler Pipe for my Evo X... weighed no more than 5 lbs, but based on box size, cost me the same amount it would have if it weighed 40 lbs....

Basically... it doesn't matter what it weighs. Both the size and weight of the package are taken into consideration. You will be charged the higher amount. Always.

Just food for thought.
Old 09-26-11, 08:21 PM
shizblam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dackp143
It's like this.. We are getting a shi* ton of cash knocked off the top, getting stuff cheaper than eBay, and I think its okay to pay an extra $10 in shipping. Remember, you maybe ordering 1lb worth of stuff but I promise you they are not packing your boxes and weighing it on a machine. They simply guess-timate the weight. When they over weight an object guess who wins?? FedEx, not Sewell.

They most likely have a couple people running the entire show and are overwhelmed with product and customers. Ever owned a business? The more people they hire then the higher the prices will be. I say just have patience and understanding. Remember, you can just go some where else and pay more for that missing customer service.

This is wrong. Basically because it doesn't matter if they guess or not. If you have a Fedex or UPS shipping account, it doesn't matter what you estimate the weight to be. You will be charged the amount that it either weighs or its dimensional weight... Fedex doesn't win... they get the same amount. If you got charged the amount you stated... wouldn't you ALWAYS understate the weight and size?
Old 09-26-11, 08:34 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dackp143
Eh I don't know about that. Who says what they charge for shipping actually goes to Fedex? You forget that a business has an account with a shipping company. They get deals and rates a lot less than you would if you were to walk into a Fed Ex store.

He'll I ship stuff through work all the time and get hella good deals. Makes you realize how many places are pocketing shipping charges.

In the past month I have shipped a 45lb exhaust to VA for $22. A 20lb road bike to VA for $18. AVS visors to CA for $9.

Just paid $9 to Sewell for a F Sport **** shipped to me. That's high.

Quick Reply: My Sewell Vent