IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone here have a molded trunk spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 02:49 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone here have a molded trunk spoiler?

So two of my friends got me a Wald replica spoiler for my birthday recently. Great stuff and I love the spoiler. Only problem is that the fitment isn't too great. The edges have a good gap and the emblem area is a cut oval instead of how the real one is with the emblem in a sunken in area where the there is lots of space above the emblem but none below it. I tried using some Bondo to take up the space on the edges but it got confusing and I got tired of it. So now I'm thinking I should just have a body shop "mold" the spoiler on. Either that or I can get an Ings or IS-F spoiler in the future. So for those who gotten their spoiler molded on, how much did it cost you and how is it holding up? Thanks!
Old 10-19-11, 02:52 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

+1 For a molded Wald spoiler. Looks tooooo sexy

There was a thread on this a while back, he paid $550 for the work...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-spoiler.html
Old 10-19-11, 04:23 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah the rep fitment isn't good on the edges.

+1 on molding it.

HeyArms just got a molded wald spoiler while out in CA for the pursuit... Try PMing him for pics. I'm pretty sure his is not a rep - but it'll give you an idea of what it will look like.

Last edited by GiantsFan; 10-19-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 04:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

You should try hitting up a few body shops in your area too just to see the local prices! I know people get decent prices on bodwork here in CA but that's cuz there's so many bodyshops trying to get your business, dunno how it is in IL though lol.
Old 10-19-11, 08:37 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You should try hitting up a few body shops in your area too just to see the local prices! I know people get decent prices on bodwork here in CA but that's cuz there's so many bodyshops trying to get your business, dunno how it is in IL though lol.
I have but no shop was even willing to do the install lol. Most just told me to save the installation costs by using tape. I asked one body shop and they said $300 for paint and "shaving" it to fit perfect. No idea how that will work but I might as well have it molded fully instead.

There's not too many modded cars here in Chicago expect for ricers lol and those with exotics. I'm sure when you were in the Chicago area, you probably noticed all 2IS's are purely stock if you saw any.

I'll look for shops in the future. I got other mods to do in the meantime.
Old 10-19-11, 08:51 PM
starknight
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$300 for labor isnt that bad...
Old 10-19-11, 09:01 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starknight
$300 for labor isnt that bad...
It's not bad but for $200 more, I could have gotten the real Wald and have it painted. The fitment should be perfect and I could do it myself. The $300 is for paint and modifying the spoiler to fit, not actually molding it to the trunk.
Old 10-19-11, 09:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chi123
I have but no shop was even willing to do the install lol. Most just told me to save the installation costs by using tape. I asked one body shop and they said $300 for paint and "shaving" it to fit perfect. No idea how that will work but I might as well have it molded fully instead.

There's not too many modded cars here in Chicago expect for ricers lol and those with exotics. I'm sure when you were in the Chicago area, you probably noticed all 2IS's are purely stock if you saw any.

I'll look for shops in the future. I got other mods to do in the meantime.

I'm surprised you remember i came to to Chicago

Yeah...i saw like, 2 IS's when i was there total, both were bone stock lol.

But don't put on the replica with the fitment issues, it looks wack. If you can't find a good bodyshop to do the molding, are you gonna just sell the spoiler?
Old 10-19-11, 09:21 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I'm surprised you remember i came to to Chicago

Yeah...i saw like, 2 IS's when i was there total, both were bone stock lol.

But don't put on the replica with the fitment issues, it looks wack. If you can't find a good bodyshop to do the molding, are you gonna just sell the spoiler?
No idea, just have it sit around lol. Not planning on putting it on. It'll look bad and I'm scared it'll fall off. I'll look for shops to mold it later on, but I'm going to get a few other mods done first and then worry about this.
Old 10-19-11, 09:41 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My authentic Wald spoiler is molded. If I told you how much I paid your need new underwear! That's only cause the rear quarter panels were raised to meet the height of the Wald and they were made of fiberglass. The entire rear bumper, trunk, spoiler, quarter panels to the mirror, front bumper and authentic Vertex kit installed was the whole job I had done.
You can try to have that shop shave the bottom to sit well. It remember this. The shops rated are like $95-&125 an hour. The more they mess with it, the more money it cost.
Old 10-19-11, 09:47 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
My authentic Wald spoiler is molded. If I told you how much I paid your need new underwear! That's only cause the rear quarter panels were raised to meet the height of the Wald and they were made of fiberglass. The entire rear bumper, trunk, spoiler, quarter panels to the mirror, front bumper and authentic Vertex kit installed was the whole job I had done.
You can try to have that shop shave the bottom to sit well. It remember this. The shops rated are like $95-&125 an hour. The more they mess with it, the more money it cost.
So they used fiberglass to mold it on? I'm not really wanting the shop to shave it. I might as well buy an authentic Wald, get it painted, and install it myself for $200 more. I'll see what shops want, not doing anything above $600 though lol. I just want the trunk section messed with, nothing with the rear quarters so it lines up.
Old 10-19-11, 09:49 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am guessing you'll probably spend about $600-$800 to mold it on.
Old 10-19-11, 10:51 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^you can be baller like mariano, or shave down the spoiler corners to match the quarter panel height.

Both ways work
Old 10-20-11, 07:01 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Yeah the rep fitment isn't good on the edges.

+1 on molding it.

HeyArms just got a molded wald spoiler while out in CA for the pursuit... Try PMing him for pics. I'm pretty sure his is not a rep - but it'll give you an idea of what it will look like.
I will soon be whoring out pictures of my awesome new trunk after i wash my car, it's a mess after the drive back from Cali.

I bought it off areukhmer, but i think he said it was around $1000 for the spoiler, molding and painting, which leads me to believe he has a good hook-up haha.
Old 10-20-11, 07:27 AM
maximL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123

There's not too many modded cars here in Chicago expect for ricers lol and those with exotics.
Oh man are you wrong about that. There are a TON of cleanly modded cars in Chicago. As far as body work goes....you should check out Autowerks in Northbrook. They do amazing work.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a molded trunk spoiler?