IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint tape on bumper for traveling long distance

Old 08-26-11, 11:58 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Painters tape won't leave adhesive on the car, at least not more than can be washed off with just water. I've done it and taken it through heat and through rain. The heat didn't do anything to the adhesive, the rain does make it come off though.

Here's a pic of how i did mine..make sure you get the front side of the mirrors too. And of course, make sure the panels you tape are clean before applying the tape. But that should be a no brainer

Old 08-27-11, 12:47 AM
rich250x
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

painters tape ftw don't use masking tape tho lol left some on when I was marking an area when I was doing some fender work and it left some residue
Old 08-27-11, 03:07 AM
CloudN32
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check Out This Tape http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...o?code=FROOGLE
Old 08-27-11, 06:13 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long did it take you guys to tape up?
Old 08-27-11, 10:16 AM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

I always use painters tape for my long distance trips. Usually takes anywhere from 5-20mins.. all depends on how much you use and how much you cover up. after taking the tape off, i use turttle wax's bug and tar remover (something like that) spay to take off any adhesive left over.
Old 08-27-11, 01:19 PM
IS350FAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just get the ClearBra protective film? LOL
Old 08-27-11, 02:26 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

I have a clear bra, but still use the tape. Double the protection and makes bug clean up easy!
Old 08-27-11, 04:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Denver
how long did it take you guys to tape up?
Took me over a half hour to do everything in the pic i posted. Probably would have been faster if i had cleaned the car before lol.

Originally Posted by aCortIS101
I always use painters tape for my long distance trips. Usually takes anywhere from 5-20mins.. all depends on how much you use and how much you cover up. after taking the tape off, i use turttle wax's bug and tar remover (something like that) spay to take off any adhesive left over.

What brand of tape are you using? JW cuz i've never had to use anything more than water to remove anything left over.
Old 08-27-11, 05:54 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I think he likes to use turtle wax because he wants 2 jobs to be done at once (remove adhesive left over and wax)
Old 08-27-11, 07:30 PM
duder06
Rookie

ISC racer tape clear and strong and wont leave residue
Old 08-27-11, 07:55 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

how many layers of tape do you guys use? one layer or double layered? maybe even tripled layered? o_0
Old 08-27-11, 08:00 PM
comcongen
Rookie

Use the 3m brand only, I used cheap tape from 99cent store and it left tape residue bad on paint, I learned it the hard way
Old 09-09-11, 07:23 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Made it up to the Bay Area last week! I forgot to tape the side view mirrors and that's one of the spot that had bug splatter lol.. but Miguiar's quick detailer took care of it pretty easily.. here's the pic

Old 09-09-11, 07:57 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

I might be a noob or just a really meticulous person when it comes to keeping my paint in "just as new" condition year after year so I don't worry about taping my car for long trips... which might be wrong. But what is the deal with taping your front end for long trips? Tell me its not just for bug splatter? Does it protect against chips or something... what is the concern? Or is this for long distance travel to car shows or something so you want to avoid bug splatter which kind of would make sense to me. Not really understanding the reasoning behind it otherwise. Not trying to be rude or a smart a$$, literally baffled by this thread.

I usually strive to use quality products... and with all due respect, and I do mean with all due respect, meguiars and turtle wax are pretty much cheap crappy products that just "do the job" but don't provide long lasting protection or quality. This is just my opinion, I am a car washing and waxing fiend... I've tried a lot of products, and unfortunately I have to order all of them from various websites; shampoo, wax, sealants, paint cleansers, buffing pads, towels, etc.

Can someone please explain the purpose... and once again, not trying to come off rude or like some kind of cocky "wannabe" pro car detailer. But I am good with paint and my methods so I feel like I have no worries. But now this thread has me thinking twice about possibly taping my car for my next long trip, haha. I traveled from the bay area to Sac and back. Came home & washed my car off with no pressure washer or hard scrubbing and every bug splatter & yellow bird **** spots washed right off, leaving no marks.
Old 09-09-11, 08:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
I might be a noob or just a really meticulous person when it comes to keeping my paint in "just as new" condition year after year so I don't worry about taping my car for long trips... which might be wrong. But what is the deal with taping your front end for long trips? Tell me its not just for bug splatter? Does it protect against chips or something... what is the concern? Or is this for long distance travel to car shows or something so you want to avoid bug splatter which kind of would make sense to me. Not really understanding the reasoning behind it otherwise. Not trying to be rude or a smart a$$, literally baffled by this thread.

I usually strive to use quality products... and with all due respect, and I do mean with all due respect, meguiars and turtle wax are pretty much cheap crappy products that just "do the job" but don't provide long lasting protection or quality. This is just my opinion, I am a car washing and waxing fiend... I've tried a lot of products, and unfortunately I have to order all of them from various websites; shampoo, wax, sealants, paint cleansers, buffing pads, towels, etc.

Can someone please explain the purpose... and once again, not trying to come off rude or like some kind of cocky "wannabe" pro car detailer. But I am good with paint and my methods so I feel like I have no worries. But now this thread has me thinking twice about possibly taping my car for my next long trip, haha. I traveled from the bay area to Sac and back. Came home & washed my car off with no pressure washer or hard scrubbing and every bug splatter & yellow bird **** spots washed right off, leaving no marks.

The tape does make it easy to clean up all the crazy bug splatter from long road trips, but more importantly it prevents all the tiny rock chips that you get. I noticed a lot of little chipped areas in the tape by the time i got back home and removed it...coulda been my paint lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint tape on bumper for traveling long distance