IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Success: Installed an IS300 Torsen LSD in my IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 01:19 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Wow this seems like an expensive mod... I wish I can test drive the IS with this mod to see how fun it is lol. Anyone in Southern CA have this mod done?

2012IS250 which mountain drive do you drive on?
I think it is haha. if you have a shop do it, you're looking at spending about 900-1k at least if you purchase a new differential and have a shop do it, but it's worth what you get out of driving with it. I drive on highway 9 and 35/skyline boulevard, right next to the Santa Cruz mountains. I want to bring my IS down to SoCal and try GMR though haha.
Old 04-25-14, 05:06 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you AWD guys want to get a little crazy, I suspect the rear Torsen diff from an RX 300 could possibly fit in the front diff. The rear open differential carrier on RX300/330/350 is the same part number as the front carrier on many of the Lexus IS cars. Believe it or not, the RX 300 was available with Torsen out back. There are many "ifs" here, including carrier bearings and CV stub shaft compatibility.
Old 04-25-14, 05:27 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

That torsen uses larger axle stubs than the open diff, so you'd probably need some custom/magic axles or something to make that work.

Jeff
Old 04-25-14, 08:11 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Just looked it up, the fiche lists the same stub axle part number for both open and LSD on the RX300. This does seem a bit weird... would you happen to have any further info?
Old 04-25-14, 10:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

No it doesn't.

41309-20020 - 99-00 Non-LSD Stub
41309-20030 - 99-00 LSD Stub
41309-32020 - 01+ Non-LSD Stub

LSD wasn't offered on the RX300 after 2000.

Jeff
Old 04-26-14, 04:26 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Yes, you are correct, just found that mistake on my part... that's why I thought it was weird. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-05-18, 02:46 PM
NorthernIS
Driver School Candidate

Default Building my own LSD unit

I've been looking for IS300 lsd diff in local junk yard for a while. Every case I've saw (except one that was looking brand new but was an open one), was in terrible shape. Meaning I would have to sand down, repaint and refurbish those unit before thinking to install it.

So I came to that question: can I bring the LSD unit out of an IS300 and swap only the internal. My case, stub, pinion are in great shape so I would like to reuse them instead of using a hi mileage unit. My plan would be to open both case, extract the LSD unit. Change the rack of it, then reassemble everything in my case which bring me two questions. I've read that those unit are 205mm is it the width of the LSD unit and is it the same as the open carrier we have. Then, do the spline and length of the stub will fit? Thank for any input!
Old 03-05-18, 02:54 PM
Nitrous23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work! Car looks clean.
Old 03-05-18, 07:42 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by NorthernIS
I've been looking for IS300 lsd diff in local junk yard for a while. Every case I've saw (except one that was looking brand new but was an open one), was in terrible shape. Meaning I would have to sand down, repaint and refurbish those unit before thinking to install it.

So I came to that question: can I bring the LSD unit out of an IS300 and swap only the internal. My case, stub, pinion are in great shape so I would like to reuse them instead of using a hi mileage unit. My plan would be to open both case, extract the LSD unit. Change the rack of it, then reassemble everything in my case which bring me two questions. I've read that those unit are 205mm is it the width of the LSD unit and is it the same as the open carrier we have. Then, do the spline and length of the stub will fit? Thank for any input!
The rest of the unit is the same, you can certainly swap the LSD unit into your existing differential housing. Just make sure you get the gear mesh and bearing preload set correctly.

Jeff
Old 03-05-18, 09:25 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Unless you've set up few Diff's before, paint a used diff and be happy. It will be far less work and if it was a good gear set, life will be good. It's one thing to swap a carrier and far more time consuming to swap gear sets and cases on a shimmed diff. Done wrong and you destroy the gear set. Not to mention the cost of new bearings, seals, crush collar, snap rings (various thickness for swap needed)... etc. etc. etc.

Jeff, does the narrow flange 250 case need ground out like the 350 case to take an LSD carrier?
Old 03-05-18, 10:01 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Unless you've set up few Diff's before, paint a used diff and be happy. It will be far less work and if it was a good gear set, life will be good. It's one thing to swap a carrier and far more time consuming to swap gear sets and cases on a shimmed diff. Done wrong and you destroy the gear set. Not to mention the cost of new bearings, seals, crush collar, snap rings (various thickness for swap needed)... etc. etc. etc.

Jeff, does the narrow flange 250 case need ground out like the 350 case to take an LSD carrier?
This is all true.

I haven't seen any modifications required for the IS250 case to accept an LSD carrier. Definitely not for the factory LSD, and I've also seen a few aftermarkets and none of them required it either.

Jeff
Old 03-06-18, 10:14 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yep, shimming the non-OG diff into your carrier is ALOT more involved than you think :

Old 03-08-18, 10:17 AM
Nitrous23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Good to know! Thank you
Old 03-08-18, 03:20 PM
NorthernIS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input, I've made my research and found that the torsen unit seam to be the same into the FR-S, BRZ and IS300. I will probably try an installation knowing it's a different job but I'm comfortable with that. It will be a first-time for a differential rebuild, I'm learning the much I can from YouTube since a month, the rest will be the learning curve that's how you learn things.
Will probably change only the unit on which I'll install my rack so the pinion will stay in the case with its original settings, will take the back lash before and try to set it to the same then the only thing that remains is the torque apply on bolt retaining the unit ( c shape) and the torque change at the input shaft between the pinion only and the pinion and rack installed.
If anybody knows if a T1 Torsen similar unit can be found, I would be interesred to know.
Old 03-08-18, 06:13 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Good luck. And FWIW that video has fail in it.
It took him 17min to mention pinion depth. If you follow his process and your pinion uses a crush sleeve, you just wasted a crush sleeve.
You set the pinion depth 1st, assemble w/out crush sleeve, get the ring gear pattern desired and obtain proper backlash and preload. Then once everything is right pull the nut, flange, front bearing and install crush sleeve, bearing, seal, flange and nut. It's slow and painful. And high HP vehicles can munch gears setup with a crush sleeve. Use a solid shim stack if possible.

Anywho, tossing an LSD into an existing diff can still have its issues as you need to set the proper preload and obtain correct backlash using shims you may have to order.

FWIW video guy should have used a case spreader INSTEAD of a hammer to install those side bearings and shims. That was bad info...

So how you gonna get your preload set using snap ring shims when you can't get the shims into the case because of the preload needed doesn't let them drop in???

Quick Reply: Success: Installed an IS300 Torsen LSD in my IS250