Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't syn last longer?
Old 10-08-11, 06:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ML11IS250
doesn't syn last longer?
Yes it does. On my previous car, I used only syn with Motorcraft filters and changed oil at 10-12K.
I had only 10 oil changes after the first factory fill which I did at 5K up to the time I sold it after 7 years @ 110K.

The engine was clean as a whistle...no sludge no varnish....Even the person who purchased the car was a car nut and was really pleased with the engine cleanliness.
Old 10-08-11, 09:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ML11IS250
doesn't syn last longer?
It does...but not everyone is willing or able to run long oil-change intervals for a number of reasons.... (severe duty driving is one example I cited already)
Old 10-09-11, 07:21 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $0.02

The others who said you can switch back and forth between synthetic and conventional, mix and match, etc are correct. There is absolutely nothing bad that can happen by switching to synthetic.

If I were in your shoes, I would do the Mobile 1 oil change. These cars have reasonably complicated engines (variable valve timing, dual cams, etc) with a lot of parts in the head that should be kept clean and well lubricated. A good synthetic should help flush any varnish or crap out of these parts.

As for when to change the oil, in the warranty period I would change every 5k. If you are doing it yourself, even with synthetic its pretty cheap. After all warranties are expired maybe go 10k on the oil and 5k on the filter.
Old 10-09-11, 10:47 AM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by hades281
My $0.02

A good synthetic should help flush any varnish or crap out of these parts
Thats why I should not switch to syn when the engine is quite old and maybe some sludge build in it. That what I was told.

If my car was running on Syn from new I would have no objections to put synthetic again, but my car is 47k miles done and I am really confused whether to put syn or regular. In addition I can say my car was used in Florida and I have no idea what oil is in the engine right now..? I would say it is regular.. If I have some sludge build up in my engine right now (btw may this happened @ 47k??) I would put regular oil cause syn going to flush the current sludge which may kill the engine.
Old 10-09-11, 01:14 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by boss22
Thats why I should not switch to syn when the engine is quite old and maybe some sludge build in it. That what I was told.

If my car was running on Syn from new I would have no objections to put synthetic again, but my car is 47k miles done and I am really confused whether to put syn or regular. In addition I can say my car was used in Florida and I have no idea what oil is in the engine right now..? I would say it is regular.. If I have some sludge build up in my engine right now (btw may this happened @ 47k??) I would put regular oil cause syn going to flush the current sludge which may kill the engine.
If it did that'd be great, since you'd get a new one from Lexus under the 6 yr/70k mile engine warranty.

But no, your engine will be perfectly fine using synthetic or any other oil at 47k miles.
Old 10-22-11, 01:21 PM
boss22
Driver

thank you for answers, appreciate it guys.

I am not convince yet to put full synthetic right away, instead of this I have an idea to put Castrol syntec blend (part synthetic oil) 5w 30 at this time and if it's going to work with no problems I would put full synthetic after some time? Does the engine would like Castrol part synthetic?
Thanks.
Old 10-22-11, 06:57 PM
weenstan
Driver

I switched around at 40k and had no problems, I usually go Mobil 1 though.
Old 10-22-11, 08:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

thank you for answers, appreciate it guys.

I am not convince yet to put full synthetic right away, instead of this I have an idea to put Castrol syntec blend (part synthetic oil) 5w 30 at this time and if it's going to work with no problems I would put full synthetic after some time? Does the engine would like Castrol part synthetic?
Thanks.
Why?

A blend just costs more without giving you most of the benefits of a full synthetic.

And the very existence of blends proves to you there's no problem in mixing the two types of oil, since that's what a blend is.

Heck, the IS250 is coming with synthetic from the factory nowadays (started on 2011 models I think)
Old 10-22-11, 08:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL at the sludge build up killing your engine if switching to synthetic. Synthetic will not harm your engine, if it could, it would come with a warning...you can be sure the big oil companies like Mobil would take no chances if they knew running synthetic could seriously harm your motor. At most, synthetic will only clean the sludge and allow for it to be burnt off during your driving or drained out when you do an oil change.

The only negative thing i have heard about synthetic oil that makes sense is that older motors may have oil leaks that are "hidden" because oil sludge has built a temporary barrier over the leak spots....and when switching to a full synthetic, the sludge will be removed, causing the leak to come back because the sludge is now gone. If that's the case, its not really a negative anyways, does anyone really want sludge holding their motor together? lol better to fix the leak.

Your motor should be fine for the switch. If you want to put castrol blend just to see if there's any problems, go ahead, but you might as well just run full synthetic now. Blend doesn't offer much benefit, and the price is higher.
Old 10-23-11, 01:05 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's never to late to change to syn, I run Mobil 1 0w30 full syn, car runs a purrs all the time. When I switch from dino to syn I notice a power difference. Hey and when ever the weather is bad out, I take my car to toyota with my synthetic oil and lexus filter and have them change it. It's only $15, and the check all the stuff around the car and such, and I see that service record on my carfax later when I trade this bad girl in for a badder girl later on! $15 well spent!
Old 10-24-11, 12:12 PM
boss22
Driver

ok guys. if some bad things gonna happen - I'll blame on you

Now, Castrol synthetic or mobil 1 synthetic? Hey are u serious that at Toyota dealers they going to change oil for 15 bucks only and they going to put the record to carfax? No waay..?
Old 10-24-11, 01:29 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Out of here!!!
$15. for an Oil Change at Toyota or Lexus???? Never heard of it. NOt even Jeffy Lube and they are a bunch of rip offs. If you do the math, the Oil itself will cost more than $15. Knowing Lexus, they don't let go any profit go out their hands. South Carolina there may be a possibility but not in California. Please let me know Where in S. Calif. in the LA CO I can go get my $15. oil change, have some snacks, relax on a leather massage chair, and still get the record be put up on CAR FAX.
Old 10-24-11, 01:42 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am happy with Pennzoil Platinum.
Old 10-24-11, 02:33 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok guys. if some bad things gonna happen - I'll blame on you

Now, Castrol synthetic or mobil 1 synthetic? Hey are u serious that at Toyota dealers they going to change oil for 15 bucks only and they going to put the record to carfax? No waay..?
$15 for labor only maybe because on my Honda i used to get oil changes for $30 at the dealership. But that $30 of course was only regular oil.

Just get some Mobil 1 full synthetic, its probably the oil used most by CL members. Oil alone will cost you about $40 though. Then you pay the dealership for oil filter (unless you have one) and labor. I find at a Lexus dealership its about $50 for filter + labor.

Quick Reply: IS 250 oil at 47k miles, synthetic vs. regular