IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is250 FX-R retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 11:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hmbvt
The first time is always scary but after you do the first one everyone after that is easy

...That's what she said

No really though...I think i'm gonna just tough up and bake em and see how it goes. If I **** up, it will be a learning experience...i'll just make sure i do it when i have enough to buy a new headlight just in case
Old 08-18-11, 03:50 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
...That's what she said

No really though...I think i'm gonna just tough up and bake em and see how it goes. If I **** up, it will be a learning experience...i'll just make sure i do it when i have enough to buy a new headlight just in case
Just make sure you take your time... dont forget to watch out for the tabs, when they get to hot they bend easy...good luck
Old 08-18-11, 04:25 PM
Legend217
Driver

If I was you, I would have installed led strips on the headlights since you already got them opened.
Old 08-18-11, 10:37 PM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Legend217
If I was you, I would have installed led strips on the headlights since you already got them opened.
I was thinking about it but was to excited to retrofit my headlight.... If I can find some led that don't look cheap then I'll open them up again and put them in.. but still working on mods for my car
Old 08-18-11, 11:56 PM
Legend217
Driver

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips.
Old 08-19-11, 10:05 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hmbvt

Here is a REALLY big point that I have no pictures for. Our OEM projectors are side fed. The FX-R projectors require the bulbs to go straight in through the back. In the TSX retrofit thread, the OP had to cut the back of the housings to make the bulb fit. When Project.ORS sold me the D2H bulbs, I thought it was just a money saver. But with all the room saved by those bulbs, I ran the wires through the OEM side slot. NO CUTTING!!!! Now I know when the bulbs go out I have to bake the headlights apart, but at least I didn't have to cut and worry about moisture seeping into the headlights due to a poor back seal. Well worth it to me.
You might want to look into this or not, but I also thought about reusing my aftermarket HID kit and bulbs when I did my TSX projector retrofit. However I did a comparison with one headlight running on a D2S bulb and the other running on the bulb from my HID kit. I noticed that the leadlight with the HID kit bulb was significantly dimmer than the one with the D2S bulb.

The reason for this was that the D2S bulb is longer and the aftermarket HID bulb hence lighting the bowl of the projector far better than the other bulb.

Again if this does not bother you it's fine but you probably aren't getting the amount of useable light that the retrofit should give you.
Old 08-19-11, 10:50 AM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Legend217
Thanks for the link I do love how the 2011 headlights look... maybe my next project
Old 08-19-11, 10:55 AM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
You might want to look into this or not, but I also thought about reusing my aftermarket HID kit and bulbs when I did my TSX projector retrofit. However I did a comparison with one headlight running on a D2S bulb and the other running on the bulb from my HID kit. I noticed that the leadlight with the HID kit bulb was significantly dimmer than the one with the D2S bulb.

The reason for this was that the D2S bulb is longer and the aftermarket HID bulb hence lighting the bowl of the projector far better than the other bulb.

Again if this does not bother you it's fine but you probably aren't getting the amount of useable light that the retrofit should give you.
I think the OP used D2H bulbs and not his aftermarket HID kit ones (h11?). Does your statement still apply to D2S vs. D2H output?
Old 08-19-11, 10:56 AM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by B16da9

Great point I didn't even think about.. I'm have to compare it with my friends FX R with D2S bulbs.. I already love my output as is, but if the output is better I'm definitely going to do it... hopefully I'll be able to to take some pics tonight and post up the results... Thanks for the info
Old 08-19-11, 11:03 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between the D2H and D2S:

Now if that affects output, I don't know...Would love to see pictures comparing output and cutoffs though
Old 08-19-11, 11:51 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by kumquatism
The difference between the D2H and D2S:

Now if that affects output, I don't know...Would love to see pictures comparing output and cutoffs though
Both of those bulbs are aftermarket. I used a Philips D2S bulb in my set up and it was longer than the bulb in my HID kit.
Old 08-19-11, 11:53 AM
hmbvt
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01gs3
I think the OP used D2H bulbs and not his aftermarket HID kit ones (h11?). Does your statement still apply to D2S vs. D2H output?
We need to check that out tonight... I'll hit you up when I get off work ... If yours are brighter I might have to swap out my bulbs.. We need to take some more of your beautiful photos
Old 08-19-11, 12:01 PM
B16da9
Racer

Like I said it's up to you if you want to look into it. I just wanted to use the Philips D2S bulb as it was brighter and I'm also OCD when it comes both my cars lol.
Old 01-30-12, 12:10 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Question: doing this know. How do you remove the oem projector? I can't remove the shroud to access anymore screws.
Old 01-31-12, 05:27 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by Jzsicklexi
Question: doing this know. How do you remove the oem projector? I can't remove the shroud to access anymore screws.
I responded to your PM.

Quick Reply: is250 FX-R retrofit