IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Taillights and Reflector Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 01:57 AM
The1Ghost
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillights and Reflector Removal

does anyone know a how to or a DIY on how to remove the taillights and reflectors. i want to smoke them out with VHT nights shades, so if you also how a good way of smoking out tails please let me know so i can get the best results. i rather take them off them just to tape off because i want to do a cleaner job and make it look good. also if you have pics on your work and how dark you have them please share, i would love to see it. Thanx again
Old 08-03-11, 02:18 AM
FutureITR
Driver

There's a diy on here for the reflectors and look up the IS-F taillight installation. It'll show you how from there.
The reflectors are fairly simple, but you have to take off the rear bumper.
Old 08-03-11, 02:57 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is pictures and video of my blacked out taillights

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-part-out.html
I'm in FL too.
Old 08-03-11, 05:18 AM
The1Ghost
Driver

Originally Posted by FutureITR
There's a diy on here for the reflectors and look up the IS-F taillight installation. It'll show you how from there.
The reflectors are fairly simple, but you have to take off the rear bumper.
Think you can hook me up with some links.. Not tryna be lazy just work almost all day long and would be hard to research by the time i get home and if anything would like to read over during a brake please if.you dont mind if not i understand. Thank you
Old 08-03-11, 05:25 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

sewell has pdf you can download off their site. thats what i used to install my rear lip. check there
Old 08-03-11, 07:30 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The1Ghost
Think you can hook me up with some links.. Not tryna be lazy just work almost all day long and would be hard to research by the time i get home and if anything would like to read over during a brake please if.you dont mind if not i understand. Thank you
In the time it took you to write that post you could have found what you were looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/3uvqwed

http://tinyurl.com/3rhw3u5
Old 08-03-11, 01:03 PM
The1Ghost
Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
In the time it took you to write that post you could have found what you were looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/3uvqwed

http://tinyurl.com/3rhw3u5
Damn bro thanx, to be honest woth you i didnt kno you can do that like that on google i usaully just use the search button on theforum and it comes up with some much different things for different models but thanx and now i kno.
Old 08-03-11, 01:04 PM
The1Ghost
Driver

Is vht a better way of doin it or should i try painting them with actaully.black paont mixed with clear coat...
Old 08-03-11, 06:57 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black in the clear will have the best results. Thats what i did with my tails on my truck

Old 08-03-11, 07:23 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The1Ghost
Is vht a better way of doin it or should i try painting them with actaully.black paont mixed with clear coat...
Originally Posted by Silver10
Black in the clear will have the best results. Thats what i did with my tails on my truck

Ghost I'm a huge fan of VHT.
The first time I hadn't used VHT was just yesterday and Brinks auto body in Boca Raton did it. It isn't the same as VHT in my opinion.
VHT turned out much more uniform and there were no bubbles. For whatever reason the EBAY LED tails they blacked out for me had some bubbles in the paint. Not sure why?
Also when the light shines through it appears hazy. Silver when your lights are on do they appear hazy?
Ghost all tailights I've done in the past I've VHT night shaded & they all turned out crispy. The OEM ones I have for sale that I linked above were VHT night shaded.
Old 08-03-11, 08:02 PM
The1Ghost
Driver

@ ccj22 so what your sayin is i should go ahead with the VHT NS and do them right for offical results... i woiuld pick them up but i want my clears still and also would want them darker almost pure black... do you have a write up on how you did it?
Old 08-03-11, 08:56 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Yea I used this write up on how I did it.
On all my cars in the past I did 2 coats of VHT night shade but you can apply as many coats as you're comfortable with.
Here is the write up I have followed for years.
I'd go with the VHT bro. I for once tried the paint w/ clear coat method and didn't do it myself like I probably should have and it turned out shetty by Brinks auto body in Boca Raton.

Follow this procedure for minty fresh black taillights bro. http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index....oke_Taillights

Keep in mind I could have just had a fluke bad experience with black paint and clear coat method... But the way Brinks auto body did it is shet. I wish I could show you in person how the lights come through hazy as fawk and the paint has bubbles in it for whatever reason.

VHT is now what I swear by because of this crap experience I had this week with Brinks auto body in Boca.
Old 08-03-11, 09:24 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Ghost, I made some videos for ya.

Notice the EBAY LED tails on the driver side appear hazy? yea, that's thanks to brinks auto body using a clear coat plus balck paint rather then VHT night shade. Pisses me off. I'm going to have to remove what they did and just re-do it myself. I'm going tomorrow to ask for them to make right on this screw up.
I don't think the video catches the bubbles in the paint either.
The passenger side tails are my OEM ones that were VHT night shaded that I have for sale in classifieds. Notice how the light is as it should be? Real sharp and crisp not hazy.

Here is copy and paste from my thread I made HERE

Here are some comparison vids of my VLED reverse bulbs vs OEM bulbs along with
VLED turnsignal bulbs vs OEM turnsignal bulbs & finally
EBAY LED taillights that I smoked vs my OEM taillights I smoked.

ALL VIDEOS CAN BE SEEN IN 720HD just click the link to go to youtube then click on the 240P area and make it 720P then expand the video to take up your whole screen.
Sorry the video has some small fragmentations in it. It was shot with my cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCnUGzazkUI

On the below vid in the middle of watching it the screen goes black just give it a couple of seconds. I was installing the bulbs into the taillight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-T6NP_HJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2x6NuBm8yE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMOYdohbNY
Old 08-04-11, 02:05 AM
The1Ghost
Driver

nice work ccj22 thanx alot bro, looks good guess ima go with the VHT this weekend than if weather permits...how long it take you ? what K of bulb did you get from VLEDS for the reverse lights? looks good by the way. and yes i seen that write up and seemed pretty spot on for minty tails, ima do that one as well... youve been a big help bro.. thanx again maybe well see each other one day at a carshow or meet or something.. and dont worry youll know its me, my tags say GHOST TM on them .. with ghost decal here and there..
Old 08-04-11, 02:11 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the compliments
I went with 5k VLED reverse bulbs. They're BRIGHT! The vid doesn't really do em justice. And I wouldn't pay the VLED's $49.99 asking price. Wait till they have a promo code. They always dish out promo codes.
Yea that write up is one I've followed for years. It's a pain in the **** and takes awhile. I thought I'd save myself time by taking my tails to a body shop but I'm not a fan of how they turned out.
Yea I live in West Palm Beach. Not sure what city you in but I try and attend the car shows when I can.
Good talkin to ya bro, glad I could help.