IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carmax ruined my Rear Defrosters ---suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 12:41 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry Carmax ruined my Rear Defrosters ---suggestions?

Just bought an IS350 from Carmax a week ago. Checked out at Lexus with no issues. Yesterday I got the windows tinted. The dude was like, have you had it tinted before? I was like no, why? He told me there was tint on there before and it was taken off and who ever did it, used a razor blade on the back window and cut the hell out of the rear defroster lines. He turned it on for 10 mins and there was no heat what so ever. There are cuts in all the lines.

He said the car must have had tint and he found small pieces of tint left under the windows and they must of taken it off because of inspection. Make sense because the car was transported from SC where tint can go darker but in NC, the legal limit is only 35%.

Its still under Carmax's 30 day warranty and it includes rear defrosters. However, under the exclusions, it says :

"Damage or breakdown due to vehicle/component abuse, misuse, or alteration".

I take it means they won't cover a part that was damaged due to alteration to a part. In this case, window tinting and then removal.

So I'm think should I pretend the current tint was on there before and be like, yo the rear defrosters don't work.

Or should I say my tinter told me you guys removed tint and cut up the defroster lines?

I'm afraid won't stand by their warranty and they'll act like oh your tinter must of did it so not our fault, or oh the previous owner did it so not our fault? I don't know if they will remember whether it had tint on or not. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-16-11, 01:00 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Just bought an IS350 from Carmax a week ago. Checked out at Lexus with no issues. Yesterday I got the windows tinted. The dude was like, have you had it tinted before? I was like no, why? He told me there was tint on there before and it was taken off and who ever did it, used a razor blade on the back window and cut the hell out of the rear defroster lines. He turned it on for 10 mins and there was no heat what so ever. There are cuts in all the lines.

He said the car must have had tint and he found small pieces of tint left under the windows and they must of taken it off because of inspection. Make sense because the car was transported from SC where tint can go darker but in NC, the legal limit is only 35%.

Its still under Carmax's 30 day warranty and it includes rear defrosters. However, under the exclusions, it says :

"Damage or breakdown due to vehicle/component abuse, misuse, or alteration".

I take it means they won't cover a part that was damaged due to alteration to a part. In this case, window tinting and then removal.

So I'm think should I pretend the current tint was on there before and be like, yo the rear defrosters don't work.

Or should I say my tinter told me you guys removed tint and cut up the defroster lines?

I'm afraid won't stand by their warranty and they'll act like oh your tinter must of did it so not our fault, or oh the previous owner did it so not our fault? I don't know if they will remember whether it had tint on or not. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
I don't think Carmax has any liability here. I highly doubt they went about taking the tint off - it was likely the previous owner. In that case, Carmax wouldn't be responsible. Your best chance here is just to bring the car back, say your rear defrosters don't work and ask them to warranty it. Don't say anything about tint whatsoever - don't mention you took it to a tint place, don't mention you suspect it was in the removal of tint that this occurred, etc. Just play dumb and say you'd like to have it fixed because rear defrosters are covered by warranty. If they refuse, ask their reason, then raise hell with them and the manager saying that they sold you a car with damage they didn't disclose and that the parts are clearly covered by the warranty.

The only way Carmax would be fully liable for this is if they actually did the tint removal that caused this. That would be hard to determine, but you could certainly ask. I'd try the above first though.
Old 07-16-11, 01:53 PM
istarzan
Instructor

^ Thanks for your suggestion Calvin. Just as what I was thinking to do. Although I do think they removed the tint when they moved it to NC because on their website, it did look like it had tint. Tint installer said usually they leave it on and the only reason to take it off is if it failed inspection in NC.
Old 07-16-11, 05:03 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Calvin, just play dumb. My G35 is from CarMax and I had several issues addressed under their warranty, they're usually pretty lax about it. Just take it to the store and see what they say, we're not much help.
Old 07-16-11, 05:08 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you just need a new rear window. good luck!
Old 07-16-11, 07:31 PM
indyberett
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have held off on the tint so they could repair it. There is some material you can purchase to repair damaged defroster lines. It is made by Permatex. The cost to repair in materials is usually $10 or less.

Now the problem will be if you remove it again, it will probably strip even more of it off and might not be repairable. The window might need to be replaced if enough material is off.

Why would you put new tint on a broken defroster? This is like having a new tire mounted and balanced on a bent and leaking wheel...
Old 07-16-11, 07:46 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by indyberett
You should have held off on the tint so they could repair it. There is some material you can purchase to repair damaged defroster lines. It is made by Permatex. The cost to repair in materials is usually $10 or less.

Now the problem will be if you remove it again, it will probably strip even more of it off and might not be repairable. The window might need to be replaced if enough material is off.

Why would you put new tint on a broken defroster? This is like having a new tire mounted and balanced on a bent and leaking wheel...
Exactly what I was thinking....
Old 07-16-11, 08:31 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Originally Posted by indyberett

I didn't know the defroster was damaged. I looked at it before tinting and noticed the lines were different colors. (Orange parts gone). But thought nothing of it, until my tint guy already finished tinting and told me. Most of the lines are missing 50% or more of the orange line.

Anyway, the tint place said they will re-tint for free if I get the window replaced so.

As for the repair kit, I read about it. If they refuse to fix it, I'll remove the tint and try the kit.
Old 07-16-11, 10:06 PM
Dchang937
Driver School Candidate

i would take it back and just tell them the truth, telling them a lie wouldnt get you far
Old 07-19-11, 02:21 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I agree with Calvin, just play dumb. My G35 is from CarMax and I had several issues addressed under their warranty, they're usually pretty lax about it. Just take it to the store and see what they say, we're not much help.
Felix, how is their craftsmanship on repairs? I don't particularly trust them and want to get my car serviced by Lexus.

The car took 2 weeks to get delivered from 300 miles away. They were making excuses like, its July 4th holiday weekend etc. I suspect they were using that time to remove the old tint so it could pass NC inspection.

I've set up an appointment for this Friday, their earliest availability. I've decided to play it dumb and see how it goes. If that fails, I'll raise hell and tell them my tint guy said they damaged it. If that fails, I'll hire a lawyer to write them a letter. And yet if that fails, I'll pay it myself at Lexus...

On another note, does the ISx50 have factory tint? I ask because even before my car was tinted, the windows did look a little dark from the outside. Maybe its just because I have a black interior?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 07-19-11, 06:24 PM
Proper 350
Pole Position

i work for carmax.we do take off tint and if it is still under your 30 days.take it back to them and complain and they WILL replace that rear window.
Old 07-19-11, 07:41 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Proper 350
i work for carmax.we do take off tint and if it is still under your 30 days.take it back to them and complain and they WILL replace that rear window.
Thanks a lot Proper. So you think they won't try to get out of it? Cuz I already retinted and was worried they'd say it was my fault.
Old 07-19-11, 11:00 PM
MonsterIS
Rookie

slick idea calvin. haha. either way, its a win, win situation! lol
Old 07-22-11, 02:13 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Update:

So I went in today and had them look at it. I just said I noticed it didn't work. After checking it out, service dude was like, have you recently tinted your windows? So I said yeah. He said well your tint installer must of ***** them up cuz half of the orange lines are gone. I immediately started to steam. I said I know cuz that's how I found out the defrosters don't work! My tint guy said you guys must of taken off old tint and messed them up. He didn't put up a fight after that lol. So I'm getting them replaced free Monday. A mobile glass installer is coming over. Made sure it was oem too.

Dealer quoted me $1000 installed. Looks like Carmax does stand by their warranty!
Old 07-22-11, 03:02 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good result, glad it worked out!

Quick Reply: Carmax ruined my Rear Defrosters ---suggestions?