IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Warranty for Used Vehicle from Private Seller >50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 03:15 PM
threevoIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats weird because our rep said the only exceptions they can make for the platinum VSA is when the time is a little over but the car is still under 50k miles. They make no mileage exception, not even a 1. Look on the paperwork and see what the mileage was they put on your warranty registration form...
Old 06-22-11, 06:19 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AmirLexus
Actually it was Lexus extended VSA warranty Platinum Coverage. Full Bumper to Bumper. Ive taken it in for squeak noises etc. never paid a dime. I was told by a couple of dealerships when i was shopping around that they do not offer a extended platinum warranty but there were a couple that did up in the NY and CT area. =D she wrote down my miles (which was about 69,000) and everything. She Also told me that she was able to do it even if my warranty was expired (being past 70,000 miles) for an extra cost.

Not sure how this works as the lexus site states something different but ive taken my car in numerous times and never had a problem. Word of advise, give them a call and ask for yourself. Just my 2 cents

DISCOVER CARD AND VISA =D
I assume you bought your car from a dealer? In that case, then yes, you can buy a Platinum VSA at the time of purchase for any car within the last 9 model years, regardless of mileage. I discuss this in the 2IS Buyer's Guide thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html.

The relevant excerpt is:

At the time of purchase of a non-CPO vehicle that is within the last 9 model years, you CAN elect to purchase a Platinum, Gold, or Powertrain VSA, but NOT an extended CPO warranty.

For a car out of the factory warranty period (past 4 years/50k miles), the only way you can purchase an extended VSA is at the time of purchase from a Lexus dealer.
Old 06-22-11, 07:16 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Actually i did not buy it from a Lexus dealership. I bought it from my car from a Audi dealership which was not affiliated with the Dealership i bought the extended warranty from (which was a Lexus Dealership in Mnt Kisco). I bought my warranty completely over the phone. Since it seems no1 believes me ill go dig up my paperwork and show you it is possible. I would hate someone to buy a warranty from a 3rd company when this person offered it to me for less than what a 3rd party warranty offered me.
Old 06-23-11, 05:28 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Actually i did not buy it from a Lexus dealership. I bought it from my car from a Audi dealership which was not affiliated with the Dealership i bought the extended warranty from (which was a Lexus Dealership in Mnt Kisco). I bought my warranty completely over the phone. Since it seems no1 believes me ill go dig up my paperwork and show you it is possible. I would hate someone to buy a warranty from a 3rd company when this person offered it to me for less than what a 3rd party warranty offered me.
Then you must be able to buy a warranty at the time of purchase even if it's not from a dealership. I do know you cannot buy an extended warranty at any time other than at the time of purchase for a car outside the factory warranty. What I didn't know was that this applied whether you bought from a Lexus dealer or not. If this is the case, it's news to me, so I'm glad to learn it. I do have to imagine there are stipulations though - like I don't imagine you can buy a used Lexus from a private seller and then buy an extended warranty from a dealer somewhere else, since the car you bought could be a total lemon. Lexus has to have some way to vet the car.
Old 06-23-11, 06:46 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

Damn I didn't know this... I screwed up. I just rolled 50k and was thinking about buying a warranty. Guess I'm SOL now.
Old 06-23-11, 12:28 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Smile Ok

Just pulled out my documents

Heres what it states
Agreement Type: used plan
Deductible: $0
Coverage Level: Platinum
Agreement Applicable Mileage: 69243
Agreement purchase price: 1425 before tax
Plan code: 27E
Years: 2
Miles: 24,000

I would add photos but im on my mobile device. But i hope this helps and doesnt get this representive in trouble =|.

Okay jus called Lexus about this and they confirmed the process with me. What happened was the dealership i sent it into sent in a "application" and lexus looks at certain credentials such as year make model and miles. I told him it was my friend that did this and he told me it was not possible and exactly what you guys stated. Soo assuming i got lucky to get a VSA warranty, maybe you will too. I would give it a shot.

Last edited by AmirLexus; 06-23-11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-23-11, 12:39 PM
threevoIS
Driver

I wonder if they changed the code because my 27E is a $50 deductible. But seems legit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-23-11, 04:32 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Just pulled out my documents

Heres what it states
Agreement Type: used plan
Deductible: $0
Coverage Level: Platinum
Agreement Applicable Mileage: 69243
Agreement purchase price: 1425 before tax
Plan code: 27E
Years: 2
Miles: 24,000

I would add photos but im on my mobile device. But i hope this helps and doesnt get this representive in trouble =|.

Okay jus called Lexus about this and they confirmed the process with me. What happened was the dealership i sent it into sent in a "application" and lexus looks at certain credentials such as year make model and miles. I told him it was my friend that did this and he told me it was not possible and exactly what you guys stated. Soo assuming i got lucky to get a VSA warranty, maybe you will too. I would give it a shot.
Very interesting, thanks for following up with all this info. I called Lexus as well and they confirmed the above, that you can't get a VSA warranty for a car out of factory warranty unless it's at the time of purchase from a Lexus dealer. So it just sounds like you got super lucky - congrats!