IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

can a tire mounting machine cause these scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 02:23 PM
silentbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a tire mounting machine cause these scratches?

hey guys,
i recently had some new tires mounted, but when i got the car back i noticed that one of my rims had been scratched. i'm in the middle of going back and forth with them right now, and they are saying that the type of scratch i showed them isn't typical for a mounting machine, especially since theirs has plastic mounting heads.

i don't know anything about how the tire mounting process works, so if anyone can shed some light on whether or not this could be caused in the tire mounting process, i'd appreciate it. here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails can a tire mounting machine cause these scratches?-img_0055.jpg   can a tire mounting machine cause these scratches?-img_0056.jpg  
Old 06-12-11, 02:29 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Yes them ****** did that, they use a bar/plastic bar to remove and install tires with. a tire shop once did me like that, scratches were smaller tho'.
Old 06-12-11, 02:33 PM
SimD
Driver School Candidate

yes i work at les schwab tirs ha
Old 06-12-11, 02:34 PM
SimD
Driver School Candidate

you are supposed to use a euro changer dumb****s, if its a 17inch wheel or bigger it cannot be mounted on a bar type machine and if you risk it , it will get scratched like this
Old 06-12-11, 02:35 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which CA tire shop is this? so we can avoid in the future? thanks!
Old 06-12-11, 02:37 PM
rayy117
Lead Lap

that can be from the mounting machine. the guy i first went to did the same shiet to mine but his rim clamping was metal so i said F*** him and went to a actual wheel store, "need for speed" in glendale and they didnt put a single finger print on my wheels, Love their work
Old 06-12-11, 02:37 PM
SimD
Driver School Candidate

Yea go back to them and complain they should replace the wheel or atleast refinish it for you for free
Old 06-12-11, 03:53 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

They did it and they know it. Stand your ground.
Old 06-12-11, 04:18 PM
silentbob
Driver

thanks guys. it was '714 tires' in westminster. i actually went there because it was recommended by clublexus members.

i'll update this thread with how/if they address the problem, so you guys can decide whether you would consider using them in the future.
Old 06-12-11, 04:20 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask them how they think it got there...

That's not curb rash by any means.
Old 06-12-11, 04:31 PM
murder
Driver School Candidate

That happened to me on a different car. Its from the tire machine
Old 06-12-11, 05:16 PM
8lastoff
Driver

Man, sorry to see this bro, but this was 100% caused by them monting your tire. Obviously this wasn't the first time this has happened to someone... Giving peoples similar testimonies on here.

This happened to me as well and it was a hassle to get them to repair my wheel, but in the end they repaired it. Also, this is WAY to clean of a scratch to be from a curb, and it seems to long in length to have been made from loose debris during driving. It's really consistent with the machine they use to install your tire though. I could be wrong, but man, it looks so much like the scratch that was on my rim after I had tires installed. I wish I had taken a picture to show you. I hope your tire gets fixed though. Good luck bro. Lets us know what happens.
Old 06-12-11, 08:10 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could they have done this? Sure. Did they do it? All these guys that are saying that 100% they did from just looking at a couple of pics should join the local police force ASAP. lol

Unless you inspected your wheels when you dropped off your car for new tires, even you can't say they damaged your wheels. Not trying to blame anyone, just trying to add the voice of reason.
Old 06-12-11, 09:00 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
Could they have done this? Sure. Did they do it? All these guys that are saying that 100% they did from just looking at a couple of pics should join the local police force ASAP. lol

Unless you inspected your wheels when you dropped off your car for new tires, even you can't say they damaged your wheels. Not trying to blame anyone, just trying to add the voice of reason.
i actually detailed my car myself a day before bringing my car in, so i knew the exact condition of my rims (1 had some minor rash, the other 3 were mint). the reason i came on here wasn't to find someone else to blame for a scratched rim. this is just a new situation for me, and of course the default stance that the tire shop is going to take is that it wasn't their fault. i came on here looking for other opinions from people who are more knowledgeable about tires than i am, so when dealing with the tire shop, i won't be swayed by the argument that 'our machines aren't even capable of scratching a rim like that.'
Old 06-12-11, 09:03 PM
8lastoff
Driver

Haha yeah I thought of that when I wrote "100%", but op clearly stated in his post that when his car was returned to him that he had noticed the rims had been scratched. I think everyone on here just assumed he had known the existing condition of his wheels prior to taking his car into the shop.

Were just trying to help a fellow CL member with our similar previous histories. Honestly though, it's reasonable to say that the shop's going to deny that all day long. Might as well fight it if the op said scratches we're there before. Police force....haha

Quick Reply: can a tire mounting machine cause these scratches?