IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Old 11-20-09, 10:07 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
Sounds like I'll have to get used to it.. I like the way BMW does it where once you hit redline, it just shifts up.. But that's just me... I remember racing an IS350 with my 05 LS430 a few years ago - and it was the first time I'd went all-out and raced - and as soon as I hit redline, the car just bogged out and I looked ridiculous.
Yeah, give it a try and see for yourself. If you're going to let the car stretch its legs a bit, though, its better to leave the upshifting to the auto. I'd like to say I have fair tolerance for some of the quirks of the car, but timing the upshifts manually isn't one of them.

Otherwise, enjoy the future purchase if you decide to pull the trigger.
Old 11-20-09, 10:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are buying this car for the sport shift, you are making a mistake. The paddle/sport shift sucks. All it does is lock out the upper gears. So, for example, if you put the sport shift in "4" and do nothing else, you will be driving around as if you had a 4 speed automatic.

I only use it when it snows to lock out higher gears.

And, if you want ML--special order. There is no reason to immediately be disappointed with a car you just spent $40G on. Some dealers will tell you they won't discount a special order, but with a little more leg work, you will find a dealer that will discount the same as a car on the lot.
Old 11-20-09, 10:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember racing an IS350 with my 05 LS430 a few years ago - and it was the first time I'd went all-out and raced - and as soon as I hit redline, the car just bogged out and I looked ridiculous.
Why would you be using the paddles at all if you were racing?

They're not shifters, they simply set an upper gear limit.

If you're racing, where you want to floor the gas and accelerate as quickly as possible, you'd just put the car in D.
Old 11-20-09, 01:15 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Yeah, give it a try and see for yourself. If you're going to let the car stretch its legs a bit, though, its better to leave the upshifting to the auto. I'd like to say I have fair tolerance for some of the quirks of the car, but timing the upshifts manually isn't one of them.

Otherwise, enjoy the future purchase if you decide to pull the trigger.
I won't use the paddles because I hear too much bad stuff about them.. So that's not an issue for me. It also sounds as if leaving it in "auto" is better than even sequential/manual shifting (or whatever you call it). Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds as if most people are making great times just leaving it in "auto". However, I can definitely see myself having the urge to drop it into a lower gear rather than just flooring it at highway speed... I suppose I should do my best to refrain from doing that.. I guess there's really never any reason to put it into "sport" mode at all...

Originally Posted by tex2670
If you are buying this car for the sport shift, you are making a mistake. The paddle/sport shift sucks. All it does is lock out the upper gears. So, for example, if you put the sport shift in "4" and do nothing else, you will be driving around as if you had a 4 speed automatic.

I only use it when it snows to lock out higher gears.

And, if you want ML--special order. There is no reason to immediately be disappointed with a car you just spent $40G on. Some dealers will tell you they won't discount a special order, but with a little more leg work, you will find a dealer that will discount the same as a car on the lot.
I'll keep that in mind if the car I'm going to look at falls through. I was supposed to go this afternoon but I ran out of time today - so it's tomorrow...

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why would you be using the paddles at all if you were racing?

They're not shifters, they simply set an upper gear limit.

If you're racing, where you want to floor the gas and accelerate as quickly as possible, you'd just put the car in D.
When I raced the IS350, I owned (and was driving at the time) an 05 LS430 - so I had no paddles... It was the first time I ever really pushed the LS so I had no idea what would happen if I left it in sequential mode and just floored it...
Old 11-20-09, 02:02 PM
cadfael_te
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by funnie
the ML system also allows u to play DVDs. I thought the ML system is 7.1 set up not 5.1?

I have nav w/o the ML and i'm happy with it and I dont think its a FAIL. BUT, i would recommend to get a car with the ML set up if you are really particular about your music. As for me, the regular stock system works for me.

Don't have experience with the nonML has mine has it and the one I test drove does. I like my ML but the sound diference wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. The integration would be. My system works excellently with my iPhone (which isn't officially supported for music) and the touch screen sat and nav are one of the main reasons I went with this other than another BMW product (335i or MINI S).

As to the 5.1 versus 7.1. My convertible is 5.1, the sedans are 7.1. There's not room in my drop top for the other two speakers.
Old 11-20-09, 02:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

When I'm in manual mode and floor it, the rpm's race up as if I was in auto mode. However, this only happens if I really punch it. At partial throttle in manual mode, nothing really happens beyond what that "gear" is capable of doing (there's no kickdown).
For agressive passing or when you need speed asap, I find being in auto mode gets me the power fastest.
Old 11-20-09, 02:37 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

paddles are for fun in the twisties and to downshift for 'rolling from...' races to get the car in the right gear then once you punch it you put it back to auto. Straight line races from a stop you leave the car in auto.
Old 11-20-09, 03:02 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

so is there a difference between auto vs. s-mode with 6th gear selected? or are the two identical in terms of how the car behaves? been wondering about that.
Old 11-20-09, 04:42 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the official Lexus iPod integration kit only costs $250.00 plus install - what $100.00? - than that'll do just fine.. It seems to cost much more to have it done in my 2010 RX350...

well the dealer will charge you more. the ipod kit is 246 from sewell and they have a 10% discount code. so with shipping you are looking at 230ish. and dealer will always rape you on labor.
Old 11-20-09, 05:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by raptor22
so is there a difference between auto vs. s-mode with 6th gear selected? or are the two identical in terms of how the car behaves? been wondering about that.
Should be the same as far as I know.

Only thing I'm aware of that changes actual shift behavior is the ECT-Power/ECT-Snow/ECT-Normal switch... (and for a drag race ECT-Normal is the fastest mode... ECT-Power really only shows any benefit in part-throttle or on/off gas driving).
Old 11-20-09, 08:08 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camerri
Oh, and I bought the iPod integration kit from Bestbuy and installed it myself in about 30 minutes. It's probably not the best product out there, but it was cheap, and it does everything I need it to do, choose by playlist, album, artist, etc. Shows track names and artist names.
Does what you had to do to install it void the warranty for whatever is connected to it? Audio, Navigation, etcetera? I'm guessing yes...
Old 07-16-10, 11:53 AM
vipergts
Rookie

Default Thinking of selling Vette and getting IS350 - need advice

So guys I love my c5 corvette coupe but it's unreliable and in the shop several times a year. Thinking of getting a higher milage (70K plus) IS350 with all options. Can you educate me on what i stand to gain or lose? The guys on the vette site have no love for Lexus. I do happen to own a LS430 and love it. Main thing i am looking for is reliability and more practicality than my vette. Any wisdom or advice appreciated...
Old 07-16-10, 12:24 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Toyoto are very realiable cars, even the expensive ones, aka Lexus. One of my family still have driving an old 150,000 miles GS without a problem.

Last edited by Initial_K; 07-16-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 12:32 PM
ujs2slow
Driver

any pics sir of the vett.
Old 07-16-10, 12:35 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

if your vett is your daily driver and you want a more plushy, reliable car, then yes by all means get the 350, throw a lil money at it, and you will have an upgrade as far as daily drivers go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)