IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Old 10-04-11, 03:47 PM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jblessing
What does everyone think of buying cars that already have various mods on them? I tend to think that means they may have been abused more than I would like...

I've found an 06 is350 with K&N Typhoon intake and Tanabe Medallion axle-back exhaust at a local Ford dealership for $17k. It has 96k miles and is in ok shape (seats are a bit worn). It is a base model w/o navi or any luxury/etc package, and has some new no-name all seasons the dealership just put on. The car fax looks clean, and the dealer has the maintenance and recall records that are up to date (minus the 90k that still needs to be done). What specifically should I be looking out for here?

thanks!
First off, when I read your post I thought there's no way that price can be supported by market data. But I went and checked Autotrader and that doesn't look like too bad a price frankly based on market conditions. I personally can't believe a 2006 base model with essentially no options and 100k miles is going for $17,000. That bodes well for those of us with 2IS that might be selling in the future!

As far as what you should be looking out for, I'd point you to the common 2IS issues in the first post of this thread. You'll want to be sure for example the cam gear TSIB is performed, the dash doesn't rattle, etc. I'd also check the water pump, as I've seen that go out for some people around 100k.

As far as that specific car, I'd personally be wary of whatever no-name tires are on there, and potentially make a deal with them to knock off some from the price to put on some real tires, and they can keep the cheapos to put on another car. In addition, I wouldn't pay a dime for that car until the 90k service is performed or they credit you money for it. The 90k I believe is an oil change ($50), brake fluid flush ($100), and filters change ($25). In no case should you buy a car particularly from a dealership that's past due on maintenance. It's not acceptable from a Lexus dealership and only slightly moreso from any other.

Finally, as far as buying a car with mods, my car had the F-Sport exhaust and upgraded wheels when I bought it, though granted they were dealer-installed. I'd just be sure to take the car to a Lexus dealer for a pre-purchase inspection ($120), and ensure they inspect the mods carefully. I would say that a car with mods like that will in general have had a rougher life than one without, but that's a general rule and there would certainly be exceptions. Instead of being a sign that it was abused, it could be a sign that it was owned by someone who appreciated the car and treated it well.

Check the Lexus dealer service history as well as Carfax and Autocheck.
Old 10-04-11, 03:57 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When I think of performance mods that I'd worry about the car being ragged out I think of a lot more than bolt on intake and exhaust.

When I think of mods that'd worry me about the condition of the car I'm thinking mods that actually touch engine oil... cams, pistons, forced induction, nitrous etc... none of these really exist for the 2IS though (short of one-off custom stuff or the couple LMS kits floating around).

I suppose if it was drastically lowered I might have suspension/alignment concerns too, but those are easier to fix and again are more than just basic bolt ons.
Old 10-14-11, 02:15 PM
LFAdreamer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise please!?! (buying a 06-07 IS250)

I'm looking to purchase a 2006-2007 IS250 with under 50,000 miles for under $20,000. My dilemma...HARD TO FIND ONE! I found this one...is this a good deal??? Here is a link to the car http://www.globalautosports.com/car/...dan-37285.html
Old 10-14-11, 02:19 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend another 4 or 5k, and dont settle....

One good repair is going to cost 2-3k, so look for something that you can rely on not one you find! I would def find a jap made 2007 or later, seems they have less issues with some of the TSB's... ie AC drain plug.

Good LUck Man,,, there are a lot of good ones out there
Old 10-14-11, 02:23 PM
LDNN
Driver

Well, it certainly fits your criteria of under 50K miles and under $20K. Have you checked KBB, Edmunds, NADA for values?
Old 10-14-11, 02:44 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

There are alot on CARS.COM but the ones I saw were mostly base models. I don't know what options you are looking for like navi or AWD but they have some for 18K. Have you already checked there?
Old 10-14-11, 04:14 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with the one that you posted. You can probably get the price down at least another $500-1k. Just check the Carfax, Autocheck and have the car inspected by a trusted mechanic.
Old 10-17-11, 02:51 PM
LFAdreamer
Driver School Candidate

I am looking for one with navi...LEXtegra your def right but they seem to be all base models...I guess I'll just wait a few months until they drop in price. - Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-11, 05:26 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Why just a 250? Take your time and find a 350. Used ones are nearly the same price but it will take a little longer to find a 350. You might want to expand your search range.
Old 10-18-11, 10:18 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to find one that an individual has for sale. Chances are they have tested the waters and looked at trading and realized that they are going to lose a lot of money if the trade theirs in. Make them an offer that is above trade-in value and they just might take it. In a couple of instances, I have saved a couple of thousand dollars buying from an individual versus paying retail at a dealer.
Old 10-18-11, 04:55 PM
kmshark
Driver School Candidate

Default Good deal? $28k 2008 IS 350 Premium w/Navigation

Black on black 2008 IS 350 Premium w/Navigation with 33,132 Miles. It is a CPO with the standard 3yr/100K warranty.

The 10spoke wheels are the 17" right? So I don't see any other features over base. The vin is JTBE262085021622 and I've gotten them to $27,719 before tax/tag/title...

Is this a good deal?

Last edited by kmshark; 10-18-11 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added information
Old 10-18-11, 05:17 PM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kmshark
Black on black 2008 IS 350 Premium w/Navigation with 33,132 Miles. It appears to have the 18" wheels but I don't see any other features over base. The vin is JTBE262085021622 and I've gotten them to $27,719 before tax/tag/title... Is this a good deal?
I was going to ask you to post it but I found it myself, why didn't you post the listing?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Also, it's clear from the listing what options it has, and on top of nav it appears to have the premium package?

Carfax says it was a commercial vehicle, meaning it was likely a lease or loaner car prior to sale. Carfax shows basically no history. I personally am not sure I'd buy a car that was previously a loaner/lease, given how people treat them, but it's up to you.

Otherwise based on Autotrader, car seems like a good deal. I don't think you'll find a better deal out there, and that's because previous lease/loaner cars sell at a discount given their history.
Old 10-18-11, 06:05 PM
kmshark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Calvin - I actually found it via a cpo search on Lexus' site but should have posted the link. Looking on Autotrader it's the lowest priced CPO with nav... just wondering if I wait and be selective if a better deal will come along in the next month.. maybe same price but with more options or a better price with same options.
Old 10-18-11, 11:03 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know about extended warranty, thanks.
Old 10-19-11, 08:32 PM
kmshark
Driver School Candidate

Well I pulled the trigger after getting them to throw in the 2011 navi dvd. I'm very happy and excited... now just looking into oem trim add-ons that I'll put on myself... hope that won't be any warranty issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)