IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why wait for parts when Lexus Dealers Will Price Match Sewell

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 11:48 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why wait for parts when Lexus Dealers Will Price Match Sewell

If you take the time to speak with the parts mgr they will price match your Sewell online price. I called and told them I was about to push the button on Sewell's site to get 6 plugs shipped for $88. The parts manager seemed to have no problem matching their price sight unseen. Had I been thinking a little better I would have excluded the shipping cost and gotten them for $77 from the dealer. Labor will be $358 and I get a free loaner which many other dealerships just don't do (Hyundai = have to pay 40 bucks a day for rental). Kinda spendy for a routine plug change but it is what it is. I will just have to save money and do the wifey's car on my own (05 Hyundai). Has anyone else gotten prices matched at the dealer?
Old 05-20-11, 11:55 AM
kurency
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't get any Local Dealers to match their price for an F-Sport exhaust. I live in the Los Angeles area and called Van Nuys, Westminster and Carson. They all told me Sewell had a great price and they could not match it so i went with Sewell. Also even if they matched, shipping for the Exhaust was less than what Tax in CA would be.
Old 05-20-11, 11:57 AM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kurency
I couldn't get any Local Dealers to match their price for an F-Sport exhaust. I live in the Los Angeles area and called Van Nuys, Westminster and Carson. They all told me Sewell had a great price and they could not match it so i went with Sewell. Also even if they matched, shipping for the Exhaust was less than what Tax in CA would be.
Fair enough...maybe I have a super awesome dealer, Lexus of Wayzata, MN, or they cut me a break since I'm having the work done with them.
Old 05-20-11, 12:08 PM
P51SN95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
If you take the time to speak with the parts mgr they will price match your Sewell online price. I called and told them I was about to push the button on Sewell's site to get 6 plugs shipped for $88. The parts manager seemed to have no problem matching their price sight unseen. Had I been thinking a little better I would have excluded the shipping cost and gotten them for $77 from the dealer. Labor will be $358 and I get a free loaner which many other dealerships just don't do (Hyundai = have to pay 40 bucks a day for rental). Kinda spendy for a routine plug change but it is what it is. I will just have to save money and do the wifey's car on my own (05 Hyundai). Has anyone else gotten prices matched at the dealer?
I would imagine this would only work (or be likely to work) on parts that the dealer has in stock. Since plugs are a common service part and they had them on hand it is probably why they did it. I'm sure there are Quite a few parts that Sewell has that the dealer wouldn't have in stock and wouldn't price match on. But I could be wrong.

Either way, it worked out for you.
Old 05-20-11, 12:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, my local dealer laughed when I asked them to match pricing either with sewell on parts or Jerry on extended warranty.

If yours does it, great! (though as you mention you're out of state you'd have to balance the cost of shipping vs. the cost of sales tax with Sewell, might be cheaper one way or the other depending on the item) but I don't think it's the norm.
Old 05-20-11, 12:14 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by P51SN95
I would imagine this would only work (or be likely to work) on parts that the dealer has in stock. Since plugs are a common service part and they had them on hand it is probably why they did it. I'm sure there are Quite a few parts that Sewell has that the dealer wouldn't have in stock and wouldn't price match on. But I could be wrong.

Either way, it worked out for you.
That makes sense...the main reason I started the thread is that I saw quite a few posts where peeps were saying they ordered plugs from Sewell...I always wondered why they didn't just get the dealer to match...so I tried it with mine and it worked. Hopefully this will inspire others to do the same and not have to wait for plugs in the mail. I'm not trying to take anything away from Sewell as they seem great but sometimes it's just not convenient to wait on shipping.
Old 05-20-11, 12:18 PM
kurency
Rookie

ya, doesn't hurt to ask, plus you can get the parts right away if they have it in stock. I hate ordering things then having to wait for them. I want them NOW!
Old 05-20-11, 12:23 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

some do match but california's tax is 9.75.. so if they match the exhaust on sewell for 1083... tax its like 100 dollars more.. while sewell is just 50 dollar shipping bringing it to like 1140..
Old 05-20-11, 01:15 PM
P51SN95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
That makes sense...the main reason I started the thread is that I saw quite a few posts where peeps were saying they ordered plugs from Sewell...I always wondered why they didn't just get the dealer to match...so I tried it with mine and it worked. Hopefully this will inspire others to do the same and not have to wait for plugs in the mail. I'm not trying to take anything away from Sewell as they seem great but sometimes it's just not convenient to wait on shipping.
yep I agree and as long as it is something the dealer has in stock it might just work. No harm in trying
Old 05-20-11, 03:53 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When they're charging you $358 labor for something that takes less than an hour to do yourself, I'm sure they're not really that concerned about getting full retail for the parts. If you're doing cash and carry for larger ticket items and they're still matching you, then I'd say they're hooking you up.
Old 05-20-11, 03:59 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kyoso23
When they're charging you $358 labor for something that takes less than an hour to do yourself, I'm sure they're not really that concerned about getting full retail for the parts. If you're doing cash and carry for larger ticket items and they're still matching you, then I'd say they're hooking you up.
Agreed. Probably only matching because they had the parts on hand and were getting the labor for it too. I'd be curious what they would have said if you just wanted the plugs and were going to do the work yourself. Go in and ask them to match Sewells price on a cabin airfilter or maybe even a sway bar and see what they say. =)
Old 05-20-11, 04:01 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer said the prices sewell offers is under their invoice price lol.
Old 05-20-11, 04:17 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

358 for a plug change? are you sure you don't have too much money over there? What color is your hair?
Old 05-20-11, 04:36 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

^From out of the woodwork... haven't seen you on here for awhile.
Old 05-20-11, 05:00 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Me: do you price match?

Parts MGR: yup.

Me: AWESO*INTERRUPTED*

Parts MGR: Everyone but sewell. Damn them.

Me:

Story all over socal except Westminister on F-SPORT parts. But as mentioned before, tax is more then shipping.

Quick Reply: Why wait for parts when Lexus Dealers Will Price Match Sewell