IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best Wiper Blades for 2nd Gen isx50?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 07:43 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Best Wiper Blades for 2nd Gen isx50?

I am looking to change the old rainx blades that came with the car, I was looking to spend a good amount since these old ones seemer higher end since they lasted 2 years. Let me know what you would recommend, I am willing to spend 30ish tops per blade and im in norcal so temps do swing around here. Thanks
Old 12-14-20, 09:14 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Buy wiper blade inserts from your local dealer, they are long lasting and great quality.
Silicon wiper blades are one of the best you can buy. Look for them online as retail stores don't usually keep them in stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by primavera:
mike33 (12-16-20), ncatona (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 03:57 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I bought Bosch and love them
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 11:44 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by primavera
Buy wiper blade inserts from your local dealer, they are long lasting and great quality.
Silicon wiper blades are one of the best you can buy. Look for them online as retail stores don't usually keep them in stock.
ive seen rainx having the silicon wipers, they are 32 a pop at walmart
Old 12-15-20, 11:45 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
I bought Bosch and love them
what model bosch was it? Im torn between them or rainx for the moment.... I currently still have the rainx that I bought the car with
Old 12-15-20, 12:00 PM
IS350mumba
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

denso hybrid, same as oem. about 30 pair.
Old 12-15-20, 12:24 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 767 Likes on 670 Posts

A few years back when I purchased my car. The previous owner had replaced the stock wipers for aftermarket. I searched the forums for possible replacements. I tried the Denso beam style from rockauto for awhile. They didn't do a good job at anything.

So I turned to buy a new set of the OEM wipers. What I noticed is the passenger side did a better job of squeegeeing than my driver side. Taking a look at it the middle part was making more contact with the windshield. Later on I found a video of someone changing out the blades for Lex/Toyota. I noticed that their passenger side metal supports where curved, and their driver's side as well.

I went out, and inspected mine. The passenger side was curved. The driver was slightly curved only.
Seeing that I shaped the metal inserts until it had a bigger bend. After that I reassembled them, and inspected the way they contoured to the windshield. They looked about right finally. Then tested them by having someone mist with a water hose. They worked way better like wipers should clean the windshield with no streaks.

See video below on how metal supports have a bend. To apply pressure against the windshield. Even them being spring loaded already. It was not creating even pressure across.

If you have stock OEM wipers. Check them out before buying aftermarket. I also clay, and wax my windshield a few times a year. It also helps the blades glide on the surface.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 12-15-20 at 12:34 PM.
ncatona (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 12:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,395 Posts

This is very subjective and you are going to get a million different answers, just like if you were to ask what oil do you use, what toothpaste etc. You get the idea. So I'll just say I use a brand called Aero I buy on Amazon, I've been using on all my cars for years, they are $18 a pair and they last me anywhere from 2 to 3 years and snap on in about 2 seconds
ncatona (12-15-20)
Old 12-15-20, 09:06 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

OEM Denso Aero... not too expensive, might be cheaper than the aftermarket stuff. Plus rubbers are replaceable from dealer for like $5 to $7 each.

These are exactly what came from Japan on these cars.

Wiper Right (06+), Denso 160-3120 $12.55 - https://www.amazon.com/Denso-160-3120-Style-Profile-Wiper/dp/B002Y37K0Y
Wiper Left (06+), Denso 160-3122 $17.83 -
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-160-3122-Style-Profile-Wiper/dp/B002Y37K4U
ncatona (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 12:18 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by primavera
if the oem blades are silicon I may just buy those since its a cheaper set and well worth the cost/investment.
Old 12-16-20, 12:20 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
A few years back when I purchased my car. The previous owner had replaced the stock wipers for aftermarket. I searched the forums for possible replacements. I tried the Denso beam style from rockauto for awhile. They didn't do a good job at anything.

So I turned to buy a new set of the OEM wipers. What I noticed is the passenger side did a better job of squeegeeing than my driver side. Taking a look at it the middle part was making more contact with the windshield. Later on I found a video of someone changing out the blades for Lex/Toyota. I noticed that their passenger side metal supports where curved, and their driver's side as well.

I went out, and inspected mine. The passenger side was curved. The driver was slightly curved only.
Seeing that I shaped the metal inserts until it had a bigger bend. After that I reassembled them, and inspected the way they contoured to the windshield. They looked about right finally. Then tested them by having someone mist with a water hose. They worked way better like wipers should clean the windshield with no streaks.

See video below on how metal supports have a bend. To apply pressure against the windshield. Even them being spring loaded already. It was not creating even pressure across.

If you have stock OEM wipers. Check them out before buying aftermarket. I also clay, and wax my windshield a few times a year. It also helps the blades glide on the surface.

https://youtu.be/qKgQtZnfHbk
its starting to sound like oem is the best way to go! If those rubbers are silicon I will pull the trigger on them. The current rainx that I have installed work well but like you I do clay them and put a sealant too which helps a lot as well. I do notice a streaking from the drivers side blade but not passenger, and its always been like this.... I will have to reproduce it and show the pics here. It causes water spots/streaking spots for a small section on the left for some reason.
Old 12-16-20, 03:17 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatona
what model bosch was it? Im torn between them or rainx for the moment.... I currently still have the rainx that i bought the car with
bosch icon 22a , 20b
ncatona (12-17-20)
Old 12-16-20, 02:32 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatona
its starting to sound like oem is the best way to go! If those rubbers are silicon I will pull the trigger on them. The current rainx that I have installed work well but like you I do clay them and put a sealant too which helps a lot as well. I do notice a streaking from the drivers side blade but not passenger, and its always been like this.... I will have to reproduce it and show the pics here. It causes water spots/streaking spots for a small section on the left for some reason.
I like the OEM rubber replacement option. I didn't know someone made a video on doing it -- very nice. I pull the old ones out with pliers since I don't care about damaging them. I also don't take the whole blade off the car -- if you can reach them safely and keep them up without slapping back on your windshield.
Old 12-16-20, 04:29 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Same same here. The OEM last in the rainy state 1.5 years driving 17k miles a year.

Wiper Blade (insert only):
85214-0E140
85214-0T040

Don't forget that aged a
ccessory belt:
99367-K1550

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-16-20 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Typing fail...
ncatona (12-19-20)
Old 12-17-20, 04:19 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

+1 on Bosch Icons, steep but well worth it. Last longer as well.
ncatona (12-19-20)

Quick Reply: Best Wiper Blades for 2nd Gen isx50?