IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any DIY on replacing the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 05:19 PM
Iceman5210
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexudv
Just wanted to give a huge thanks to Iceman5210 and lancematic for tips on replacing the water pump on my car. I finished it this weekend and so far its looking good. Took a bit of work, but I saved about $550 and I became a little more familiar with my car! I wanted to do a DIY, but my camera charger is missing so I couldn't do it.

In case anyone is curious, its relatively simple to do the install. You don't need to remove the AC compressor at all. There are only two tricky parts to it. The first is removing the water pump pulley. You don't need a special tool for this. You can use a screwdriver or something similar to counteract the spin of the pulley to allow you to remove the 4 bolts on it. The second is removing one bolt from the water pump that's partially blocked by the tensioner pulley. The repair procedure actually says to remove the AC compressor to allow you to remove the whole tensioner pulley assembly and gain access to the bolt, but this is not necessary. As lancematic pointed out to me, all you have to do is remove the tensioner pulley. It will be a left hand threaded bolt.

Other than that, it should be relatively easy to do. If anyone needs help, I'll be more than happy to help. Just send me a message!
You welcome , im glad you got it done !
Old 05-11-11, 12:20 PM
caudlek
Driver

I just had mine in to the dealer for the fuel leak recall, oil chg and diff fluid change (75w90 synthetic) .

The header of this thread caught my eye though .... because when i picked it up they said they also replaced the water pump under warranty. I guess it must have been under the longer engine warranty because the basic 4 yr warranty ended last April (2010).

Anyway, are water pumps an known issue ?

KC
Old 08-19-11, 12:32 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

other then leakage how do you know the water pump is going bad? Is it anything like the noise of pulleys or bearings going out? Im reach 80k on my 07 and am fearing this may be my next task at hand... Thanks
Old 08-19-11, 02:17 PM
sqa4life
Rookie

So I've been hearing a low grinding sound coming from my car's engine and I also noticed some coolant leaking. I figured it might be the water pump, but I still had Lexus take a look to make sure. The dealer confirmed that the water pump needs to be replaced and I'm out of warranty so they're charging me $720!

I want to try and replace it myself. Do you guys know of any DIY out there for this or any sources that I can use to help me out?

Thanks in advance!
did the dealer inspect it for free?
I think I am having the same problem on my 06 IS350
Old 08-20-11, 01:52 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Deegee
other then leakage how do you know the water pump is going bad? Is it anything like the noise of pulleys or bearings going out? Im reach 80k on my 07 and am fearing this may be my next task at hand... Thanks
My indicator was the sound of a bearing going out. No need to fear it. Get down then and check how solid the water pump pulley/bearing is. When it's time to replace it, as long as you know what to do and have the right tools (not too many crazy ones) it's pretty easy and you'll feel good for having done it (if you're like me and this would be your first engine part repair/replacement) It's surprising that I heard it because of how loud my music is but I'm usually overly aware of sounds/feels. after about a week of a 'new noise;' I got down there and could see some places where coolant had leaked from the bearing going out so....there it was.
Old 08-20-11, 06:55 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sqa4life
did the dealer inspect it for free?
I think I am having the same problem on my 06 IS350
No, they did charge me around $60 for inspection. Should have trusted my instincts though and passed on the inspection. It's pretty obvious when it's the water pump. Like everyone else has also mentioned, it's usually a grinding sound. Just open the hood and put your ear next to the water pump.
Old 08-20-11, 11:12 AM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should make reading the Lexus Forums a habit. My 06' IS 350 with 53k miles stranded me the other day. It was a radiator leak and maybe a water pump and maybe more. The dealership has had the car for 3 days and I still have not received a call. Second time in my life I have bought Xtended warranty on a car. My first one was on My Tauros SHO.
I am glad I did.
Old 01-07-12, 04:54 PM
B00tyli0us
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 lexus IS 250 water pump

Originally Posted by lancematic
I replaced my water pump myself last fall. Cheapest place to get a rebuilt pump is rockauto.com (A-1 Cardone for $73.79). If you search you will find that I did a review on the pump. Install took about 2 hours and a few beers. If you want I can write up a basic DIY and send it to you.
Hi my name is Veronica le, i just read your blog about to fix your water pump on your is250 lexus. would you be able to give me the detail directions on how to replace/fix my water pump, what tools would i need? i would really appreciate your kindness.

Thank you
Old 01-08-12, 01:21 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B00tyli0us
Hi my name is Veronica le, i just read your blog about to fix your water pump on your is250 lexus. would you be able to give me the detail directions on how to replace/fix my water pump, what tools would i need? i would really appreciate your kindness.

Thank you
There was a PDF posted on page 1 by Iceman5210.

Here you go:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-pump-svce.pdf))

Old 08-15-12, 08:47 AM
Butchie72
Driver School Candidate

Default Tis

[QUOTE=Kurtz;6339001]TIS is what dealerships use. It's the most current and complete information available. It's $15 for 2-days access.

Hi, I planning to replace my water pump as well, I just had a service in Toyota and I was told my water pump has leak and my front timing cover has leak as well; i`m just wondering where i can get original parts and how can i get access toTIS...thanks...
Old 08-21-12, 01:31 PM
Butchie72
Driver School Candidate

Default Thermostat

Just wanted to give a huge thanks to Iceman5210 and lancematic for tips on replacing the water pump on my car. I finished it this weekend and so far its looking good. Took a bit of work, but I saved about $550 and I became a little more familiar with my car! I wanted to do a DIY, but my camera charger is missing so I couldn't do it.

In case anyone is curious, its relatively simple to do the install. You don't need to remove the AC compressor at all. There are only two tricky parts to it. The first is removing the water pump pulley. You don't need a special tool for this. You can use a screwdriver or something similar to counteract the spin of the pulley to allow you to remove the 4 bolts on it. The second is removing one bolt from the water pump that's partially blocked by the tensioner pulley. The repair procedure actually says to remove the AC compressor to allow you to remove the whole tensioner pulley assembly and gain access to the bolt, but this is not necessary. As lancematic pointed out to me, all you have to do is remove the tensioner pulley. It will be a left hand threaded bolt.

Other than that, it should be relatively easy to do. If anyone needs help, I'll be more than happy to help. Just send me a message!
Hi LexuDV, just wanna know if there is a need to replace the thermostat as well...just curious....thanks
Old 08-21-12, 05:37 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Dang! Great info here! I'm hitting 95k soon, maybe I should check for signs of the water pump going out,
Old 04-02-13, 03:24 PM
dtexan
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a PDF for the IS350 or is it very similar to the 250?
Old 04-02-13, 09:10 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should be the same process, maybe slightly different parts.
Old 04-03-13, 07:27 AM
dtexan
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the clarification. My wifes 350 has 85k miles on it, and I think I might just change it for the heck of it.

Quick Reply: Any DIY on replacing the water pump?