IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!

Old 04-30-11, 08:30 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look awesome for a little modz.
Old 05-01-11, 10:51 AM
zeuolaxxx
Pole Position

is there any difference between the $200 eBay grille and the $100 eBay grille???
Old 05-01-11, 11:00 AM
HERBos
Lead Lap

nicely done indeed
Old 05-01-11, 11:54 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeuolaxxx
is there any difference between the $200 eBay grille and the $100 eBay grille???
Same grille....
Old 05-02-11, 09:18 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the eBay IS-F style grille on my 2007 IS350 and it looks great, however I need to now remove the Lexus emblem from the OEM grille and put it on the new grille. I'm going to attempt removal tonight, I got a putty knife and I'm going to try and slowly pry it off while heating it up with a hair dryer to try and loosen the adhesive.

My question is about the reattachment to the new grille; everyone keeps saying to use double-sided tape. I've heard people reference 3M industrial-grade red-backed double-sided tape that's thin, almost like carbon paper. Problem is, I cannot find anything that matches this description at the local hardware store. Only thing I can find is this indoor/outdoor double-sided tape, a picture of which is attached below.

This tape is not thin like carbon paper, it is a bit thick and due to a layer of almost foam in between the two sides. It seems to me to be too thick to use; the L emblem would be raised off the grille.

Is this what I need, or is it something else, and if it's something else where do I find it?
Attached Thumbnails IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!-01.jpg  
Old 05-02-11, 11:45 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I just installed the eBay IS-F style grille on my 2007 IS350 and it looks great, however I need to now remove the Lexus emblem from the OEM grille and put it on the new grille. I'm going to attempt removal tonight, I got a putty knife and I'm going to try and slowly pry it off while heating it up with a hair dryer to try and loosen the adhesive.

My question is about the reattachment to the new grille; everyone keeps saying to use double-sided tape. I've heard people reference 3M industrial-grade red-backed double-sided tape that's thin, almost like carbon paper. Problem is, I cannot find anything that matches this description at the local hardware store. Only thing I can find is this indoor/outdoor double-sided tape, a picture of which is attached below.

This tape is not thin like carbon paper, it is a bit thick and due to a layer of almost foam in between the two sides. It seems to me to be too thick to use; the L emblem would be raised off the grille.

Is this what I need, or is it something else, and if it's something else where do I find it?
3M sells a double sided tape specifically for automotive emblems. I've seen it at Checker and Autozone both, it's quite thin and gets even thinner as it cures.
Old 05-02-11, 02:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I've heard someone put those 3m double side type on the emblem and place some thing heavy on it and let it seat for a while for the type get thinner? you can try that to see if it get thinner or not
Old 05-02-11, 05:37 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the 3M double sided tape from Advanced Auto Parts. I used it to stick on my roof spoiler and it's still in place after almost a year. As far as the Ebay grill, that doesn't look bad for a $100 grill. Fitment looks spot on.
Old 05-02-11, 05:51 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Just ordered mine and going to match it with black pearl emblems! Can't wait
Old 05-02-11, 05:52 PM
aira
Pole Position

Do they make this grill for the bumper as well?I've managed to damage it and would be great to have matching upper and lower grilles.
Old 05-02-11, 08:34 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
My question is about the reattachment to the new grille; everyone keeps saying to use double-sided tape.
I purchased this at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's even though I didn't end up using it.

Yours seems to be the same. I'm not sure if there's a difference in adhesive strength, but for use on an emblem, you should be fine .

Originally Posted by Silkky
Just ordered mine and going to match it with black pearl emblems! Can't wait
Congrats! Hope you like it, post pictures once you've got your black pearl emblem on it!

Originally Posted by aira
Do they make this grill for the bumper as well?I've managed to damage it and would be great to have matching upper and lower grilles.
I haven't seen one around. Maybe one will pop up on eBay one day .
Old 05-03-11, 07:38 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexitegra
I purchased this at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's even though I didn't end up using it.

Yours seems to be the same. I'm not sure if there's a difference in adhesive strength, but for use on an emblem, you should be fine .
Thanks for the help. I actually just got the emblem off last night and reattached it to the new grille with the tape I linked to above. It was a little odd because I had to cut really short, thin strips to fit them on the outer edges of the emblem, but it's now on there pretty snug and looks fine. Fitment was great.

Originally Posted by aira
I just installed this myself and frankly this eBay grille matches the OEM lower bumper grille very well. I have never seen this exact type grille made for the lower bumper, but I can say that with this grille, if you purchased the OEM lower grille from Sewell or somewhere else, it would match pretty well.
Old 05-09-11, 04:19 PM
fatjoez
Rookie

just posting to say I bought this grille & installed it last night
Like the original guy said the mesh is black plastic and would be nice if there was a more glossy look to it
I'm considering taking mine off and spray painting it with a gloss paint or something like that to give it more shine

I'm buying an emblem off Ebay so I can keep my existing grille in tact

ps: no difference between the $100/$200 grilles on ebay
pps: they fit perfect and pretty easy to install
Old 05-09-11, 04:51 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

As for the painting, there are short nap rollers or maybe a paint pad. You can check the big box stores and craft/painting stores.

Use a common color so you can touch up any rock chips.
Old 05-09-11, 05:11 PM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Just installed mine over the weekend and slapped on a black pearl emblem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS-F Style Grille for '06-'08 from Option Racing (ebay)- Part 2, Installed!