IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 10:52 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Are you very sure 2012 OEM lights would fit on 2010 bumper. They told me that the 2012 lights were slightly bigger than the 2010 ones and would not fit.
I think there are a few members that installed them on 09-10 models. I have an 06 and had no problem! You may need to modify the bumper brackets that attach to the lights.
Old 07-15-12, 11:20 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by NimaM
I think there are a few members that installed them on 09-10 models. I have an 06 and had no problem! You may need to modify the bumper brackets that attach to the lights.
Yeah even i went through those threads and the only modification that was done was to the brackets. So I guess they are just bluffing that I need to change my bumpers , liners , grills , etc. I'm going to forward these threads to them and lets hope they help me out. Thanks mate.
Old 07-15-12, 04:44 PM
jroselo
Driver School Candidate

Awesome job! Im thinking of doing this aswell
Old 07-17-12, 08:29 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by NimaM
Hi Nimam, just to keep you updated. Spoke to my advisor at Lexus today. They said that they will fix the 2012 OEM headlights without any other modifications as I showed them our thread here and told them that this is possible unlike what they claimed.

Now the issue is the 2012 OEM lights will come only after a month which i said is ok. But they also said that my warranty would be void and I should not hold them responsible if any of my electronics malfunctions or catch's fire . Now I'm scared as in our thread here I have seen few issues like AFS signal flashing on the MID display and LED lights not connected for 100 % brightness.

Is all this a risk worth taking ?

But I so love the 2012 headlights despite its shortcomings like no AFS and bubbling issues .
Old 07-17-12, 08:34 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Nimam, just to keep you updated. Spoke to my advisor at Lexus today. They said that they will fix the 2012 OEM headlights without any other modifications as I showed them our thread here and told them that this is possible unlike what they claimed.

Now the issue is the 2012 OEM lights will come only after a month which i said is ok. But they also said that my warranty would be void and I should not hold them responsible if any of my electronics malfunctions or catch's fire . Now I'm scared as in our thread here I have seen few issues like AFS signal flashing on the MID display and LED lights not connected for 100 % brightness.

Is all this a risk worth taking ?

But I so love the 2012 headlights despite its shortcomings like no AFS and bubbling issues .
They just scare the crap out of u man, many of the cl member got it done here has no issues at all
Old 07-17-12, 08:53 AM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bubbling issues...
Old 07-17-12, 10:47 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by ohiois350
They just scare the crap out of u man, many of the cl member got it done here has no issues at all
Thanks mate. So if the cost involved is reasonable I'm going to sign tomorrow hopefully and ask them to go ahead and fit it.

I just hope they let me watch them do it so I know that they are not messing up with anything else. I'm thoroughly reading this thread completely with all the short comings.

Guess I can ask them to remove the AFS fuse since I don't want that to keep blinking. Don't think the auto leveling feature is needed on the straight roads here though.

Also I need to make sure that they do the wiring correctly for 100 % brightness. Gosh thinking of all this is just making me nervous.

Last edited by stanjohn12; 07-17-12 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 10:18 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by Strid3r
Done! Here's a pic. I got these on ebay and bought all the cover from sewelll. Very easy upgrade and worth the cost and time. Thanks for the help guys.

Ok can anyone confirm to me what all will work if we just connect the 2012 OEM headlights directly to the connectors without doing any re-wiring like the OP and many of you have done ?

I'm asking this since my dealership said that they will not do any kind of modification to the connectors but will just change the entire wiring from the body to the headlights. But even if they do this they will not warranty the work and said they did it for one customer and he had issues with check engine and VSC lights always ON.

So I was thinking to make them leave the wiring as is and connect the 2012 OEM headlights directly to the connectors , so my belief is that only the DRL's won't work. Which I can fix later by doing the re-wiring my self. Is this a crazy idea ?
Old 07-19-12, 10:41 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Ok can anyone confirm to me what all will work if we just connect the 2012 OEM headlights directly to the connectors without doing any re-wiring like the OP and many of you have done ?

I'm asking this since my dealership said that they will not do any kind of modification to the connectors but will just change the entire wiring from the body to the headlights. But even if they do this they will not warranty the work and said they did it for one customer and he had issues with check engine and VSC lights always ON.

So I was thinking to make them leave the wiring as is and connect the 2012 OEM headlights directly to the connectors , so my belief is that only the DRL's won't work. Which I can fix later by doing the re-wiring my self. Is this a crazy idea ?
yeah the 2012 headlights is directly connect, so you don't have to worry about it, for the AFS fuse, just look underneath your driver side panel look UP you will see the fuse box, just look at the 7.5 A fuse right front of the 10A fuse close to the side wall remove the 7.5A fuse, that will take care your AFS light. For the DRL since you in different country, you can leave or disable that light if you wish by the dealer can do it so. Now to the new 2012 LEDs like many members here including myself, we are wired the 100% bright straight to the IGN 2 in the engine fuse box to get that constant power on all the time when the car is on, if that seem too hard to do it to you, just leave the way the headlights you received from Sewell, don't do anything to that, but to have the LEDs to turn on you have to turn your parking lights on every time you want that Leds to come on
Old 07-19-12, 11:27 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

yeah the 2012 headlights is directly connect, so you don't have to worry about it, for the AFS fuse, just look underneath your driver side panel look UP you will see the fuse box, just look at the 7.5 A fuse right front of the 10A fuse close to the side wall remove the 7.5A fuse, that will take care your AFS light. For the DRL since you in different country, you can leave or disable that light if you wish by the dealer can do it so. Now to the new 2012 LEDs like many members here including myself, we are wired the 100% bright straight to the IGN 2 in the engine fuse box to get that constant power on all the time when the car is on, if that seem too hard to do it to you, just leave the way the headlights you received from Sewell, don't do anything to that, but to have the LEDs to turn on you have to turn your parking lights on every time you want that Leds to come on
The problem is this is not 2012 sewell headlights. It is 2012 OEM headlights from my lexus dealership. Can I still connect it the same way directly like Sewell's lights ?
Old 07-19-12, 11:54 AM
str8hust1a
Pole Position

which ebay buyer did you buy these led head lights from op? want to get my hands on em. they make the car so dam nice..
Old 07-19-12, 12:40 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

The problem is this is not 2012 sewell headlights. It is 2012 OEM headlights from my lexus dealership. Can I still connect it the same way directly like Sewell's lights ?
Yeah all Is headlights has the same connection harness, sorry i missunderstood u? Are you trying to upgrade to OEM headlights like the older models not the 2012 Leds? Or are you truying to get the leds lights put on your car?
Old 07-19-12, 11:02 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Question

Yeah all Is headlights has the same connection harness, sorry i missunderstood u? Are you trying to upgrade to OEM headlights like the older models not the 2012 Leds? Or are you truying to get the leds lights put on your car?
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I am trying to upgrade to 2012 OEM headlights on my 2010 IS. Just wanted to know if those 2012 OEM lights will directly fit the default connection harness and what all would work without doing the re-wiring ?
Old 07-19-12, 11:36 PM
LexusIS17
Driver School Candidate

NIce clean job
Old 07-20-12, 10:41 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Question

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan

I was able to get it some information is right, red is power for LEDs, Green is for high power LED, Black is for dim LED
You will not be able to leave the red wire in it's original pinout as suggested around page 7 or 8, it must take another pin that has power.
I wired mine this way:

the light purple and white is for the orange led on the side, i disabled it completely by putting them where red and black go originally. and by plugging the red into the "marker -" I was able to tap power.

good luck everyone!
Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Originally Posted by Joe Z
Glad you got it John... I didn't have "time" to search for different options...

As I mentioned in post # 203 of this thread... "Thinktwice's" original wiring worked, his updated version has NOT worked for anyone else...

All I did was snip the thin Red wire and tap it to the Black&White wire underneath it..
I then moved the green wire (for 100%) to the empty slot right next to the Black&White wire that I tapped.. and I was done..

I didn't not touch the amber led lighting as I like how it works..

~ Joe Z
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Since posting my diagrams earlier I have installed them in my car that way and can confirm everything works as expected. They come on 100% when the engine is running, stay at 100% if the marker is turned on, and drop to 50% with low or high, and they come on at 50% with marker, low or high when the car is off.

It is of course quite a bit more complicated, but I do enjoy the correct functionality. Wonderful.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Joe Z
LoL...
My first sentence was meant toward the LED 100% to 50% dimming switch over.. (which means splicing / custimization as well)

Glad to see you found a proper repin solution.. Next time I pop off my bumper, I will try out as you have shown in your photo..

If you show a photo of the before and after that might be cool too..
When your other headlight arrives..

~ Joe Z
I should have asked this question much earlier but still it's never too late.

My question is if I connected the 2012 OEM headlights to my 2010 IS without doing any re-wiring , essentially everything else should work ( like indicators , high beam . low beam etc ) except the LED DRL lights , correct ?

Quick Reply: Pics of my '06 IS250 with 2011MY headlights w/ LED Strip