IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone messed with "kiwi wifi OBD2"/iphone/pad with rev or dashcommand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 12:45 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone messed with "kiwi wifi OBD2"/iphone/pad with rev or dashcommand?

I'm curious if anyone has tried this with their lexus and your impressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4f3...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwaLeVoW8I

http://www.ram-mount.com/Portals/0/S...rap2992ap8.jpg

Last edited by patrick323; 04-12-11 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 03:14 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I came across this sometime ago, I'd be curious if anyone is using it as well...
Old 04-12-11, 09:40 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

well, i bit the bullet, I'll let you know in 3 or 4 days
Old 04-12-11, 10:16 AM
Moto
Driver School Candidate

Wow, that guy did an amazing job in the installation of the ipad!

The kiwi looks promising. Is it a code reader as well?
Old 04-12-11, 11:48 AM
machefai
Driver

wow! Now that's some serious dedication!
Old 04-12-11, 12:11 PM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

I used to use the Kiwi Wifi + Rev (iPhone) on my previous Audi but when I sold the car I moved the Kiwi over to my 350. Works just fine. However, there are a lot of features that aren't supported by the Kiwi itself e.g. WHP.
Old 04-13-11, 07:43 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Moto

The kiwi itself just transmits a signal, it's the app that reads the codes, and yes, it should.
Old 04-13-11, 07:49 AM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Moto

The Kiwi OBDII just plugs into the port. REV, Dashcommand, etc. is a paid for app from the App Store that can be installed on any iDevice and connects to the Kiwi via WiFi. You can scan (limited) codes, clear codes, monitor and log.
Old 04-14-11, 11:17 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received kiwi today. The kiwi works as it should.

As far as Apps. There are 3 or 4 major ones, all with mixed reviews. I rolled the dice and spent $50 on "dashcommand" which is either a waste of $50 or takes a lot of troubleshooting to get working correctly.

Fuzzycar, is cheaper: $5. It gives general info you'd want/need but without a cool user interface.

THen I broke down and spend another $40 on the "Rev" app, hoping I'd have some better luck on this last chance. It works, very well except a few questionable troubling codes that came back. My car seems to be operating flawlessly but it was giving me 7 codes. Not in the vehicle now I cant remember all of them but I do remember it telling me I had 3 misfiring cylinders (2, 4, and 6). I'm not sure what this actually even means. It sounds serious but I notice no performance decline unless something was always wrong..but it's had a diagnostic check many previous times while in this operating condition and I was never told of such codes. I'm hoping it is an error in the Rev application, as these apps are good but, developing still. I'll gather the codes and post a thread about these codes soon. I'll also post a youtube video or something

There is an app specifically for VW/AUDI/PORSCHE that seems awesome. It has a "security mode" that sends a signal to the computer to not start the car (even with key) until a preselected PIN is entered. It has a valet mode where you can set throttle/speed limitations for someone driving your car. I wish someone would develop this much of an in-depth app for Lexus.

Last edited by patrick323; 04-14-11 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 11:55 PM
IS3003o3
Pole Position

^^ the app for V/A/P - did you see which company it was from? Was it APR?
Old 04-15-11, 02:31 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

No it was..."speedport"
Old 04-16-11, 11:53 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Got it up and running so decided to post a quick youtube video of it. I Was going to do a quick walk over of the car, well i did, then I realized that a couple of my trunk monitors are not working. Ugh. I rarely open my trunk and a couple years of bumps and wear have taken their toll. I really like the program. At first a few codes were troubling me, namely multiple cylinder misfires which was mysterious because my car runs fine. Then I realized I had a little issue DIY issue (quickly fixed) when I replaced my spark plugs a year ago and that those codes likely stay. Also had catalyst codes but that pops up every couple months for a day or two. I can now see them, and clear them. I don't really drive around with the program running non-stop (it's a 250, not a race car) but it's very useful and very very nifty. Camera sure picks up nose breathing HEH

I think the video looks a lot better on the youtube site from my HD iPhone as opposed to the viewable youtube link on this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_iXbIoG7eU

Last edited by patrick323; 04-16-11 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 05:41 AM
SatxIS350
Driver School Candidate

ive had it for a little over a year and a half...its a pretty cool little toy, but as far as the different parameters its able to view in the app our cars dont give the option to view them...on other cars, especially boosted applications its great...just really use it as a diagnostics tool...but nice pick up...have fun with it!
Old 04-17-11, 03:32 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

I can view nearly all of them. I can just only pick five to view at one time.

I can monitor:
Speed, RPM, Throttle, WHP, Max air flow, torque, forward and lateral G forces, Barometer, intake temp, Boost if i had it, 4 different options for "fuel trim" which I dont know what they are, Timing advance, fuel consumption/averages (on vehicles dash too), and engine load.

The only options on the app I cannot view are boost (i have none), Evap Pressure, fuel pressure, and IM pressure (again i dont know what that is.

The options seems limitless. For instance,throttle control (no need for Tom's throttle booster...just this hardware and app for phone). And other security functions like I mentioned from before.

Did you input the correct static IP and subset numbers?? I cant see any other way that you wouldn't be able to view these things. Are you using REV? It's the only one i've tried that seemed to monitor much more than speed, rpm and timing

Last edited by patrick323; 04-18-11 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-30-11, 10:17 AM
F-LEX350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Where can I see the OBDII port? Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone messed with "kiwi wifi OBD2"/iphone/pad with rev or dashcommand?