IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear View mirror Vibration - issue found - Lexus Engineers do not have a fix - Yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 08:40 AM
chiks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear View mirror Vibration - issue found - Lexus Engineers do not have a fix - Yet

My 2008 IS250 is having problems which nobody has been able to solve. My local dealer, Park Place of Lexus applied the Lexus Service bulletin “L-SB-0072-09” but with no success. After looking into it personally with more interest, it appears that this is as a result of a design flaw by Lexus. Please find below the problem and the design flaw.

The Problem:
Rearview mirror vibrates under the following conditions:
1. Music volume is 20 or higher
2. Moon-roof is open and car is traveling at more than 40mph. The vibrations are worse when going up or down the freeway ramps, or if it is windy outside.

The Design Flaw:
The design flaw is in two stages:
1. The roof is not adequately damped. This causes the vibration from the subwoofer to travel to the windshield and consequently the rear view mirror which is mounted on the windshield. This is easily demonstrated by thumping on the roof with my palm and observing the rear view mirror vibrate.

2. The moon-roof wind deflector is inadequate and it does not spoil the wind flow over the opening. The result is the wind is flowing straight into the gap between the roof and the moon-roof glass when the moon is completely open. This causes a sever wind buffeting phenomenon.

Rear View mirror Vibration - issue found - Lexus Engineers do not have a fix - Yet-z8km1.png

For comparison, Here is a 2001 RX300 which does not have the rearview mirror vibration issue, especially when the moon-roof is open. As you can see the wind deflector actually deflects the wind away from the gap between the moon-roof glass and the roof itself.

Rear View mirror Vibration - issue found - Lexus Engineers do not have a fix - Yet-49frs.png

I sent this information over to Lexus Customer Service, which in turn apparently sent it to their engineers. However, they came back saying that they do not have a fix for this.
Old 05-19-11, 09:43 AM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe try one of these?

http://www.autoanything.com/deflecto...13A2547A1.aspx
Old 05-19-11, 02:14 PM
chiks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scampbell
and destroy the sleek looks?

I'd rather fight with Lexus and get money back on the moonroof since it is practically unusable because of this.
Old 05-19-11, 02:19 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chiks

I'd rather fight with Lexus and get money back on the moonroof since it is practically unusable because of this.
Let us know the results
Old 05-19-11, 03:53 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

It's an interesting and viable theory. Has anyone tried putting a wind deflector on their car and confirming it resolves the issue?
Old 05-19-11, 04:00 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

i think the major cause vibration is the subwofer when play loud music, and found out there is a little trick that I turn the rear sun shade up the mirror vibrate gone at the same sound volume, I don't know why but it reduce the vibrate by 90%
Old 05-19-11, 04:45 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I have an 09 that shook like crazy when the sunroof was opened. The dealer replaced the mirror with a 2010 design. The shake is 90% gone. There is a TSB for this.
Old 05-19-11, 04:45 PM
peteypablo
Driver

I took it to the dealer and complained about this and they replaced it with a new type of rear view mirror. If ur still under warranty it's free!
Old 05-19-11, 04:47 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had my rearview replaced on my 08 350 for a slight vibration and what the dealer called "marbling" (bunch of black spots starting to appear under the glass). As part of the service bulletin they removed my 08 mirror and put in the new 2011 version... or I guess its the 09 version? I'm not sure if they're the same but it looks like the one in my mom's 2010 250. I actually didn't want the newer mirror but my SA told me it was the only way to stop the vibrating/marbling and required per the service bulletin.
Old 05-19-11, 05:16 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

who looks in the rear view mirror?
Old 05-19-11, 05:48 PM
chiks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiks
My 2008 IS250 is having problems which nobody has been able to solve. My local dealer, Park Place of Lexus applied the Lexus Service bulletin “L-SB-0072-09” but with no success. .....
Originally Posted by ohiois350
i think the major cause vibration is the subwofer when play loud music, and found out there is a little trick that I turn the rear sun shade up the mirror vibrate gone at the same sound volume, I don't know why but it reduce the vibrate by 90%
Interesting phenomenon. Does the rear shade touch the roof? Maybe it is dampening the roof. Else it is breaking up the sound and making it less potent.

Originally Posted by Keppie
I have an 09 that shook like crazy when the sunroof was opened. The dealer replaced the mirror with a 2010 design. The shake is 90% gone. There is a TSB for this.
That is what I stated in my first post. TSB was applied which included changing the mirror to the IS250C design.

Originally Posted by peteypablo
I took it to the dealer and complained about this and they replaced it with a new type of rear view mirror. If ur still under warranty it's free!
see above.
Old 05-19-11, 08:59 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

at least they were honest about their flawed design... i think they r just cutting cost here and there so when they make enough cars... the saving is substantial.
Old 08-13-12, 07:27 PM
socplay50
Driver School Candidate

has anyone every heard of the sunroof glass breaking/cracking from all the vibration going on? i always close my roof when getting on the highway and kinda wish i didnt have to do that
Old 08-13-12, 08:04 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2010 350 vibrates due to the stock stereo at around volume 25. It's not too bad, but I'm impervious to it due to the stereo I have in my MR2.
Old 08-13-12, 08:05 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socplay50
has anyone every heard of the sunroof glass breaking/cracking from all the vibration going on? i always close my roof when getting on the highway and kinda wish i didnt have to do that
The vibration is not severe enough to do such a thing. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

Quick Reply: Rear View mirror Vibration - issue found - Lexus Engineers do not have a fix - Yet