IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation System Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 08:13 AM
rljames
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System Opinion?

Shopping for my fisrt Lexus, specifically a 2011 IS250 AWD, and although I'd much prefer to not get the Navigation System it appears that's not possible if I would like the Luxury Package which includes the Bi-Xenon HID headlights. (Not sure why getting the car configured a particular way is such a problem but based on what I've learned over the past few weeks apparently it is even though the Lexus sales brochure for the model clearly suggests it's possible...)

In any case, the questions for this thread are; Is the latest Navigation System worth the price? Does it add features that are outside of navigation? For instance, is the "Climate" button shown in the Lexus webSite Nav overview video part of the System? And if so, what does it provide? Other Pros? Cons?

I can get Dealer spiel but I'd much rather hears from what seems to be very knowledgeable owners in this forum...

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-04-11, 08:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's absolutely possible to get Lux without nav.

If your local region doesn't get cars that way you have 3 options:

Get your dealer to swap cars with a dealer in a region that gets cars the way you want

Buy directly from a dealer in another region that gets them the way you want

If neither is possible (ie no region gets the config you want "standard") then you'll need to special order. Find a dealer competent enough to do this, and not gouge you on price for it, and you're all set. Note this will take between 2.5-4 months depending how good the dealer is.

As to the nav system- the 2010 and newer navs are much better than the previous years... they still do considerably less than a $150 Garmin does, but now it's a handfull of missing "extra" features rather than pretty basic stuff like traffic data.

I went out of my way to avoid the antique low-feature nav offered when I special ordered my 2008... if I were getting an '11 I'd probably more seriously consider the OEM system (though still not sure I could justify paying 10-15x more than a standalone nav to still get less features)

The only real "features" it adds besides navigation on 10+ models are:

backup camera
video display for ipod controls (versus a single line on the radio)
video screen for bluetooth controls (IIRC you can get BT without nav on 10+ models but won't have the touchscreen, just steering controls)
Old 03-04-11, 09:03 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to keep in mind: if you do purchase the Nav system, it won't all go to waste. Nav systems are pretty much the only option you can pay extra for on a new car that will hold its value when it comes time to resell/trade it in. When I traded in my 2003 E55, the dealer told me he could have given me $1k more for the car right off the bat if it had had Nav. Especially if you're buying a 2010, by the time you want to resell or trade it in, you'll find demand will be stronger (and potential prices higher) for your car than without Nav.
Old 03-04-11, 09:07 AM
LonghornIS
Driver School Candidate

I know when I was shopping for my car I felt the navigation was a must have. Not because I wanted the actual navigation aspect as much as I just didn't like the look of the center console without it.

I'm driving an '07 so I know it's a little different but those are my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-11, 09:11 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was happy my 07 didnt have it.

It's 2011 and their ugly UI really is just out of place, even the brand new ones. Boxes, ugly colors no fading......makes ya sick
Old 03-04-11, 09:14 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the nav if I were you in fact I have in every lex but 1 and they gave me the same story about resale value when I traded it in. According to the dealer its hard to sell a 30k car that doesent have nav bec if your payin a bunch of money its a feature that would be nice to have. With that said I certainly don't use my nav much. The reason I got the nav was maily for the back up camera. Very nice unless its raining and has water on the camera then you can barely see. Anyway unless you plan on keeping the car untill it dies and really dislike the nav. I suggest getting it.
Old 03-04-11, 10:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Again the whole "nav is good for resale" thing is a myth-

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ale-usat_N.htm

Built-in navigation systems increase the depreciation of a car or truck, a startling fact that has some car companies rethinking their approach to the $2,000 factory-installed systems.
Old 03-04-11, 11:45 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

I know you guys are mentioning just the nav part of it, but I like mine just as much for the touch screen aspect of controlling climate, radio, back-up cam, etc.
Old 03-04-11, 12:02 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
I know you guys are mentioning just the nav part of it, but I like mine just as much for the touch screen aspect of controlling climate, radio, back-up cam, etc.
Yeah, that's the part I also don't like. Having a touch screen for controlling all that crap makes it more dangerous to use while driving. I need buttons where I don't have to look. The backup camera is the one reason I like the nav screen.
Old 03-04-11, 12:12 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jmags
Yeah, that's the part I also don't like. Having a touch screen for controlling all that crap makes it more dangerous to use while driving. I need buttons where I don't have to look. The backup camera is the one reason I like the nav screen.
It's actually very simple to control I would argue the exact opposite. To each his own I guess.
Old 03-04-11, 12:18 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thinktwice
It's actually very simple to control I would argue the exact opposite. To each his own I guess.
Ok, not "complicated" but you can't hit exactly what you want without looking right?
Old 03-04-11, 12:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I can change the climate, radio presets, etc... and everything just by pushing the physical buttons...versus having to switch screens and look for the right on-screen button.

Everytime I have a loaner with nav I hate the controls compared to the non-nav version.
Old 03-04-11, 12:28 PM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jmags
Ok, not "complicated" but you can't hit exactly what you want without looking right?
Well.... no. lol
Old 03-04-11, 12:49 PM
350FSport
Driver

Guys/Gals the Lexus nav system is beyond bad. I let them know in the satisfaction survey. I have a 2009 Ford Escape and the nav system is FAR FAR superior. And that one is not even as good as Ford's 2011 system.. This was my biggest surprise when buying the Lexus, not big enough to send me to Infinity but close.. I am PRAYING they fix this for 3IS!!!! My lease runs up in 2 yrs 10 months

Also, I will lend some credence to the nav-resale argument, only in that for me personally, I would not by a 35k+ car without nav. Something doesn't seem right, it should be standard above a certain price point.. IMO. So, when I am looking to buy a car in this class, no-nav is not an option (for me).

Last edited by 350FSport; 03-04-11 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 12:55 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Again the whole "nav is good for resale" thing is a myth-

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ale-usat_N.htm
thats a dumb article. it actually says the nav adds value to car but the residual % is lower. any car with a higher msrp will always have a lower residual %. actual dollar value is still higher with nav.

Quick Reply: Navigation System Opinion?