IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Much better sound through aux port using iPod line-out cord

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 05:13 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Much better sound through aux port using iPod line-out cord

Just wanted to write about my experience and give a tip to those out there suffering from poor sound quality. I'm new to the IS350 and new to an Aux-In port, so I just pulled out a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord and played sound through the headphone jack on my iPhone. The sound was OK, but I got a little static and almost no bass response.

Then I stumbled across an article saying using the line-out on your iPod/iPhone (the dock connector, not the headphone jack) provides much better sound quality, so I picked up a line-out cord that goes from dock connector to 3.5mm (Aux-In port). The cord I got (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1AU0) is actually a bonus because it allows charging while playing (this also gave me a good reason to go in and get the TSIB for aux/charging buzz or ground loop issue fixed under CPO warranty). These cords actually aren't too easy to find, and ones with good reviews are ever rarer.

I'm sure some of you already know this, but I just wanted to write to inform those who didn't. My sound quality is 10x better, with great bass response and a much better overall range. So if you're using your Aux-In port by using the headphone jack on your Apple product, definitely pick up one of these line-out cords.

Last edited by calvin2376; 02-28-11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 05:21 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice.

Also the 09+ Guys with USB in can plug their Ipod cables into that. Im currently using that and it gives me full control over my ipod. It does lag a little bit tho.
Old 02-28-11, 05:31 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by redline.gT
Nice.

Also the 09+ Guys with USB in can plug their Ipod cables into that. Im currently using that and it gives me full control over my ipod. It does lag a little bit tho.
Ah I didn't know that functionality came on the 09+, that's awesome. I'd love to get the ability to control my iPod through the nav system/steering wheel on my '07 IS350, but I think the only way to do that is with one of those Vaistech setups which requires removing the center console/nav/dash. Is that correct? I'd love to know of a way that circumvents having to do that (even though I know DIYs are out there).
Old 02-28-11, 07:47 PM
NCLexi250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Just wanted to write about my experience and give a tip to those out there suffering from poor sound quality. I'm new to the IS350 and new to an Aux-In port, so I just pulled out a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord and played sound through the headphone jack on my iPhone. The sound was OK, but I got a little static and almost no bass response.

Then I stumbled across an article saying using the line-out on your iPod/iPhone (the dock connector, not the headphone jack) provides much better sound quality, so I picked up a line-out cord that goes from dock connector to 3.5mm (Aux-In port). The cord I got (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031U1AU0) is actually a bonus because it allows charging while playing (this also gave me a good reason to go in and get the TSIB for aux/charging buzz or ground loop issue fixed under CPO warranty). These cords actually aren't too easy to find, and ones with good reviews are ever rarer.

I'm sure some of you already know this, but I just wanted to write to inform those who didn't. My sound quality is 10x better, with great bass response and a much better overall range. So if you're using your Aux-In port by using the headphone jack on your Apple product, definitely pick up one of these line-out cords.
I'll have to agree w/ this thread. Here's my experience w/ this setup.

I was using a Scosche 3.5mm to headphone retractable type cord previously to play music from my iPod. Similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XRW0H6X092BJ58

I thought it sounded great for a few months while it was under my center arm rest, for only $15 or so at the Lexus stealership. Long story short, the sound coming out of my iPod to my car speakers started sounding inconsistent and flat after about a 1 1/2 year of usage (ie, no bass). I then found out the retractable cable was worn out after plugging in my friend's iPod as well and getting, lo and behold, crappy sound!!!

So, naturally I went on eBay and bought a 3.5mm to dock type connector...

Wow... my music is more realistic and the bass is sooo much fuller sounding now it's not even funny. I bought this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1180wt_1139

Being a self-confessed audiophile I am so glad I made this switch from the headphone jack to dock connection. I truly feel that I am listening to my iPod through my car for the very first time.

Cheers everyone.

Last edited by NCLexi250; 02-28-11 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 08:21 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this only related to iPhones or is it true for any phone? I wonder if I can find a cable like that to fit my android phone
Old 02-28-11, 08:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd expect it'd be true of any phone that you'd get better sound avoiding the headphone jack since you can get a line-level output instead of going through the crappy amp built into the phone.

(though I imagine not all phones provide a line-level audio output via their dock/charge/data port)
Old 02-28-11, 09:04 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Imma try it with my blackberry tomorrow (USB port)
Old 03-01-11, 05:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by MashinA
Is this only related to iPhones or is it true for any phone? I wonder if I can find a cable like that to fit my android phone
I believe that this would be true of any phone/MP3 player that offers line-out capability in place of the headphone jack
Old 03-01-11, 06:19 AM
machefai
Driver

Yeah, the usb port rocks! I get all of the music data from my iphone to the screen. Can't be happier with the info provided and sound quality is exceptional! No to mention it charges too! Go Lexus for providing a usb port! As mentioned above, there is a slight lag, but I've already gotten used to it! Can't complain, you know?
Old 03-01-11, 10:59 AM
CCM03
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 2011 when i have my iphone plugged into the USB, it charges it, but doesnt let me play music also =/ thats why i just use a cable from headphone jack to AUX in.
Old 03-01-11, 11:33 AM
machefai
Driver

Originally Posted by CCM03
on my 2011 when i have my iphone plugged into the USB, it charges it, but doesnt let me play music also =/ thats why i just use a cable from headphone jack to AUX in.
When you plug in via usb, does the "USB" option activate on your screen? Just press that and it'll allow you to see all of the info and control your iphone.
Old 03-01-11, 11:40 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is every 2IS effected with the ground loop thing ? do i have to show my dealership i am getting that whine ? and is it oNLY thru the aux port ? whawt if i did the ipoad integration kit through the car stereo?
Old 03-01-11, 11:55 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
is every 2IS effected with the ground loop thing ? do i have to show my dealership i am getting that whine ? and is it oNLY thru the aux port ? whawt if i did the ipoad integration kit through the car stereo?
All 06-08s at least... the TSB should list affected models.

It happens if you're plugged into the AUX port and the same device is plugged into one of the 12vDC power ports at the same time.

AFAIK you just have to tell the dealer you're experiencing it- though I'm sure some will be hard cases and make you "prove" it it's nowhere near the hassle to fix as, say, the startup rattle, so I don't expect you'll have this issue with most dealers.
Old 03-01-11, 11:57 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by panda327
I was getting the whine and was already taking my car into the dealership for the fuel sensor recall so I told them I was experiencing a whine when playing music through aux port while charging. The service manager asked me if I had my iPod with me to test it and I didn't, and he said that was fine. He called me later to say he'd found the TSIB and had ordered the parts and that it'd all be covered by CPO warranty. They never asked me to show them and I don't believe they tested it themselves.

So no, at least in my experience, you don't need to show proof of the whine to get the ground loop issue fixed. And it sounds like the vast majority of 2IS have this issue; those who haven't probably just aren't charging at the same time as using the aux port, otherwise they'd experience it.

I almost never do either, but I figured since there's a TSIB and it's under warranty, why not?
Old 03-01-11, 01:15 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tip.. I was thinking of getting this but the price was a bit too high...
http://www.amazon.com/SiK-pimp-Charg...9014248&sr=1-1

With the Kensington A/C adapter and USB cable plugged into power next to the AUX port, can you still close the top cover of the compartment?

Quick Reply: Much better sound through aux port using iPod line-out cord