IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Didn't accept my cash offer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 10:51 AM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if the car is $47,000 and they need to order it. Then They wont take the $44,000 cash.
But if the car was sitting there I think a fair offer will be $45,800.
I ask my uncle about this he works in the Lexus dealer here and he told me they will take the $45,800 for the car sitting and he wont take less than $46,900 for the one they have to order.

Last edited by nonopr01; 02-16-11 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 10:52 AM
foam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to www.truecar.com and entered in a zipcode and the average price paid is around 43k. You should go to that website and see if it applies to your city.
Old 02-16-11, 11:08 AM
felixdang
Driver

I checked truecar.com, they said under $44187 for that car.. It's $1869 above dealer invoice
Old 02-16-11, 11:25 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magneti
this is my experience as well. do not let them know you have cash til everything is all wrapped up and tidy.

then you let them know.
Yup. I went in, asked about their finance promotions bs, agreed on how much OTD, then gave them a fat check.
Old 02-16-11, 11:33 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by laobo979
Since the package you want is not on the lot its hard to bargain.
That was the situation I ended up in so I did my best to get as close to the price I wanted.

Originally Posted by magneti
this is my experience as well. do not let them know you have cash til everything is all wrapped up and tidy.

then you let them know.
I agree. My family did this on one of our previous cars.
Old 02-16-11, 12:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If a dealer won't budge off MSRP for a special order then find a better dealer...simple as that.
Old 02-16-11, 03:15 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Finance and pay it off right away. There's no additional cost to financing if you pay right away.

Three money making elements to any car deal: New vehicle price, trade in offer, financing. All three together comprise the deal's value. When you take financing out of the picture, you eliminate one of the places they can make money, so either trade or purchase price will suffer. If you have no trade and you pay cash, they need to make all their money on purchase price. It's the hardest way to get a good deal.

I've never bought from a dealer with cash even when I had the money in hand.
exactly! Put the usual 5-10k down and agree to finance next time. Pay it all off in a month when the bill comes in. Just make sure that you can pay it off in full at any time without a penalty
Old 02-16-11, 03:17 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nonopr01
I think if the car is $47,000 and they need to order it. Then They wont take the $44,000 cash.
But if the car was sitting there I think a fair offer will be $45,800.
I ask my uncle about this he works in the Lexus dealer here and he told me they will take the $45,800 for the car sitting and he wont take less than $46,900 for the one they have to order.
another good point. the dealer has to pay for each car sitting on the lot. the longer a car sits on the lot the more they have to pay the bank out of there pocket. if a car is on the lot they want to move it as quickly as possible.
Old 02-16-11, 03:37 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flektone
exactly! Put the usual 5-10k down and agree to finance next time. Pay it all off in a month when the bill comes in. Just make sure that you can pay it off in full at any time without a penalty
I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb here and say I believe new rules and laws regarding simple interest loans or retail installment loans prohibit "penalties" for paying off a loan in full or making more than the minimum payment earlier. Always best to check (because banks are always up to no good) but the old tricks should be or are becoming a thing of the past. A couple decades ago I got hit with a rule of 78s loan and it was a brutal tough lesson to learn.
Old 02-16-11, 04:00 PM
felixdang
Driver

I think I'm just gonna fianance and pay it off in a month
Old 02-16-11, 04:21 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

yu guys must make good money to be able to pay 47k cash for a car in this economy. I still think you should finance the car for 3-6 months and then just make 1 big payment to pay it off. Not sure what type of work yu do, but im sure the goverment may investigate if yu buy a car for 47k cash. Maybe i need to move to MI bcuz yall making serious money out there.

Last edited by RastaRacer; 02-16-11 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-16-11, 04:23 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by felixdang
I think I'm just gonna fianance and pay it off in a month
I think that's your best bet. I would go to edmunds.com and look up True Market Value TMV and see how that compares kind of like what was mentioned earlier. Then print it and tell them you want that price, first payment is your last and you have a sick new IS350 AWD! Good luck!
Old 02-16-11, 05:36 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by felixdang
Hi everyone.. So yesterday I went to the dealership expecting to buy my new is 350awd.. After some numbers were crunch up by the dealer for a 350awd nav/ luxury package. It came up to a little bit over $47k out the door taxes, fees etc etc..

I counter back at 43k and they came back at little but over 46k

I came back at them with 44k cash offer out the door, and I told them if they accept it I'll buy it today..

To my surprise they didn't accept my offer( I was shocked)

Do u guys think $44k for a is350 AWD with nav/ luxury package was a fair deal.. I thought it was a fair deal? Or am I wrong
Take a loan and pay it off after a month. You'll typically get a better deal.

Banks borrow money at low rates, and lend it back to you at higher rates. So financing is easy money for them, and they don't like to give that up.
Old 02-16-11, 05:37 PM
ISSteve
Rookie

Hang tight, the dealer may call you back in few days as well. New car buying is a waiting game over who wants what. The more desperate party usually gets the short end of the deal.

The fact that the car you want isn't on that dealer's lot does work against you though. Have you considered going through a broker?
Old 02-16-11, 07:13 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, you would think paying in cash would seal the deal, but like others have said they probably want to make money by having you finance.

if you were buying it from a private seller then cash would be accepted in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Didn't accept my cash offer