Viper 5902 on 2008 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 05:10 PM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Viper 5902 on 2008 Lexus IS 350

Hi Everyone-

I just got my Viper 5902 installed on my 2008 Lexus is 350 today. The setup is pretty sweet. There is a wire attached to my rear view mirror that blinks an LED blue color. It would seem to intimidate robbers. I like the remote start feature especially for cold days or very hot days. However, while learning the in and outs of the system I ran into a couple issues.

Questions....

1. I can remote start the car w/ the Viper remote but when I go to get in the car it is locked. If I press unlock on the viper remote or the lexus remote it does nothing. I have to then shut the engine off with the viper remote, unlock the car with the viper remote and or/lexus remote, get in the car and then push start it to turn it back on. Is there anyway to bypass this?

2. Is the Viper 5902 compatible to set up temperature reading and/or window roll down and up via the viper remote?

Any feedback, thoughts, questions, comments would be greatly appreciate.

Cheers to all!
Old 02-10-11, 05:18 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You should be able to unlock with the Viper remote when the car is running. I can do this with my Python. The OEM fob will not work, however, in this situation.

2. Should be compatible with the window roll down. Mine has this programmed.
Old 02-10-11, 05:56 PM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

Default thank you

I appreciate the feedback.

1. That's what I was thinking. So maybe it was installed wrong? It for sure won't let me unlock it though, strange. It lets me unlock it with Viper remote though when car is not started.

2. Did you have to purchase a separate window module or it came with your security package? How much to install this feature? It looks like I may have to purchase it separately for the viper 5902 - bummer!
Old 02-11-11, 10:53 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I don't know how much help I can be, but if you need additional modules I recommend TrendyTodd (vendor here). He works with REV-01, who installed my system.

I honestly don't know the difference between your set up and mine, so I can't really speak much about it. I have the Smart Start by Python but I don't know which one LOL.

REV-01 is an installation guru down here and my car was NOT easy from what I've heard. There are a bunch of pitfalls to getting it to work somewhat seamlessly with existing electronic/features and I don't really know the specifics.

As for the window roll-down, that was programmed as an auxiliary function on my remote fob. There may be a module required to do so though, so perhaps a PM to TrendyTodd can net you the answers you need.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-11, 11:04 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering the rationale of getting an after market alarm? I know there are more features like remote start, but is the factory alarm not very good? Just wondering, thanks!
Old 02-11-11, 09:40 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

^^Most of the time people buy aftermarket alarm with remote start. It has longer range like 2 miles on some of this alarm and also its a 2 way alarm meaning that if your alarm is triggered it will send you a page. If you want unlimited range you can buy the smart start and you lock and unlock or start your car anywhere in the country as long as your car and your cell phone is in the 3g network area.
Old 02-12-11, 10:30 AM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISBU
^^Most of the time people buy aftermarket alarm with remote start. It has longer range like 2 miles on some of this alarm and also its a 2 way alarm meaning that if your alarm is triggered it will send you a page. If you want unlimited range you can buy the smart start and you lock and unlock or start your car anywhere in the country as long as your car and your cell phone is in the 3g network area.
can anyone speak to the quality of the factory alarm? is it the same as a standard $100 aftermarket alarm?

I'm kinda interested in a aftermarket alarm now that you mention about the range.. I live in an apartment and if my alarm were to go off I wouldn't be able to hear it..
Old 02-12-11, 01:20 PM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

Nice! Yea looking into more I do indeed need a module for the window feature. My installer said it was a pain in the a$$ to install my remote start and security as well. Appreciate your help.
Old 02-12-11, 01:25 PM
MDK1116
Driver School Candidate

Vital- my rationale in getting an after mark alarm was for several reasons.

1. remote start - nice for when its cold outside or in summer to get the cooled seats and AC pumping before entering the car. Plus, remote start is just cool haha.

2. The features. You can have stuff such as window roll down, temperate gauge check of the car, defrost, etc.

3. With the Viper 5902 I installed, it will alert me on the full color remote when a sensor goes off and shows which part of the car is being tampered with. With your stock security, you will never know it's going off if you are not right there by it.

4. The alarm sounds the viper makes is very impressive as well as a blue led flashing to scare away robbers.

I posted a demonstration of my viper 5902 on you tube.

Here is the link....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jT-ChvSM0

Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!
Old 02-12-11, 02:57 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

@vital - the OEM alarm is fine. The aftermarket systems can add stuff like tilt sensors (if someone tries to tow your car), window break sensors, and other features mentioned above. There's been talk lately about thieves being able to steal smartkey cars but I wouldn't really be too concerned about it. I had mine done mainly for the added security features.

@MDK - consider the ceramic windshield tint for your car as well. It will help a fair amount for those hot summer days by keeping the car cooler. It will also protect your interior from UV rays.
Old 02-12-11, 04:24 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

I have a Viper 5901 installed and your installer did a poor job. DEI has a module to interface with our smart keys and i recommend they use that. I cannot use my OEM remote buttons anymore if i enable the alarm or have the remote start working. Although i have noticed if I lock using the OEM system, I can still remote start using the DEI system, and unlock using the DEI system.

I start the car, come out a few minutes later, unlock using the viper remote, get in the car, hit the brake and the car is just fine--does not die. Although i have noticed if i open the passenger or other doors to put stuff in, then go around to my side the engine will die when I hit the brake (Basically anytime the car would normally beep that it senses the smartkey and then loses the connection because you are too far away--the system does not seem to handle that well).

The temp reading also works from the remote. They also wired my trunk and wired my defroster to work as an option from the remote as well.

You installer did a bad job. It took them two tries to get mine right, but they did and I am very happy! PM if you have questions.
Old 02-12-11, 04:26 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisyano
@vital - the OEM alarm is fine. The aftermarket systems can add stuff like tilt sensors (if someone tries to tow your car), window break sensors, and other features mentioned above. There's been talk lately about thieves being able to steal smartkey cars but I wouldn't really be too concerned about it. I had mine done mainly for the added security features.

@MDK - consider the ceramic windshield tint for your car as well. It will help a fair amount for those hot summer days by keeping the car cooler. It will also protect your interior from UV rays.
just remember the OEM alarm has no motion sensor at all--if some bumps it or breaks the glass it sit there silent--it only trips if the doors are opened. As for a stealing the car factor, most thieves are not wise to our keys although the technology is there. it is only a matter of time--i don't arm the alarm half the time anyway--i just use the remote start feature.
Old 02-12-11, 04:45 PM
ApokC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. What's the price on this Viper system?
2. Do I need both key fobs or just the Viper one?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-11, 05:01 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ApokC
1. What's the price on this Viper system?
2. Do I need both key fobs or just the Viper one?

Thanks!
the 5901 or 5902 will run from 700 to 900 USD (the ones less than 1 mile range will be much cheaper--these are the top of the line viper units). As for the FOB, you forget that our OEM remote is also the key, sadly you must carry two.

I was told that there was no way to get a smartkey OEM fob to do the remote start with the aftermarket brain.
Old 02-12-11, 05:14 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best part about the smart key is the fact that you just throw it in your pocket That's what is holding me back from getting a remote start.

Usually what I do is just throw the smart key in my backpack for the day and dont use it till i get home and open the door.

Quick Reply: Viper 5902 on 2008 Lexus IS 350