IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm a newbie that hates my 2010 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 06:44 PM
642mx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a newbie that hates my 2010 IS250

Well, I don't exactly hate it...lol. But I have had some problems with it. I'm just wanting to see if anyone else has had these same problems.

At 2000 miles, the right rear tire blows out and takes the bumper out, inner fender, rocker panel, exhaust, and bends the quarter panel. The tire was found to be defective, so Lexus footed the bill. After rejecting the car twice from my lovely dealer, they got it right the third time. (<- very long story!)

At 5000 miles it starts black smoking and pulls to the left when braking hard. The exhaust tips are black, soot on the bumper, belches black smoke on hard acceleration. Back to the dealer and they "decarbonized it"... rotated the tires and changed the oil. I'm still not sure how it carboned up with 5K on it. The braking pull was blamed on uneven tire pressure.

At 6000 miles we notice the a-pillar cover didn't match the passenger side... it sticks out too far. Back to the dealer for a replacement, while it was there, I had them check the tire pressure and lug nut torque since we had a 1600 mile trip the next day. Tire pressure was at 46 psi... dealer blamed us, but I've never touched the car.

At 7000 miles I noticed a rim that the clear coat felt rough on... the dealer actually ordered one for me without seeing it.

Now at 9000 miles, all 4 tires are cupped on the outside edge. They are noisey and it looks like I'll be going back to the dealer for this... oh.. and the braking pull is back.

We bought the car last June, its my wifes daily driver. She loves the way it drives (the AWD is the shiznit in the snow), but I'm seriously considering trading it off.... its spent over a month of its life at the dealer!

Did I just get a bad one or are they all like this? Please understand that I'm not trolling, just trying to gather information about this car as we did not reseach anything before we bought it.
Old 02-07-11, 06:51 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you bought one built on a Monday. At least the dealer is taking care of your problems as they should. If you trade it in though, you may take a hit.
Old 02-07-11, 07:48 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are all not like that. havent seen much like yours. you got a special one lol j/k
Old 02-07-11, 08:01 PM
642mx
Driver School Candidate

A special one...lol It sure feels like it!

I just went out in the garage to have another look at the tires, the left side (front and back) are more cupped than the right side... maybe the alignment is off or something? I'm guessing with 9k miles on it that the dealer will take care of the tires? (fingers crossed)
Old 02-07-11, 08:06 PM
642mx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A1Lexis
Sounds like you bought one built on a Monday. At least the dealer is taking care of your problems as they should. If you trade it in though, you may take a hit.
No... actually my dealer sucks! I've bought 4 (3 Toys & 1 Lex) in the last 5 years from them and they are great on the sales side... but they have absolutely the worst service I've ever seen or heard about.

Is your IS lowered in your signature line pic? (looks awesome!)
Old 02-07-11, 08:13 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

That's really brutal to hear you've had such bad luck. I don't know of too many people that have had such horrible consecutive issues with theirs. Both of my Lexae have been tanks for my family. Like A1 said, sounds like you just got a bad egg. Is there another dealer in your area that can look after you, if you're having trouble with your current one?
Old 02-07-11, 08:16 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry to hear about your problems. Shouldn't be happening to a new car!
Old 02-07-11, 08:32 PM
642mx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by busdepot
That's really brutal to hear you've had such bad luck. I don't know of too many people that have had such horrible consecutive issues with theirs. Both of my Lexae have been tanks for my family. Like A1 said, sounds like you just got a bad egg. Is there another dealer in your area that can look after you, if you're having trouble with your current one?
I was sure hoping this Lexus would be as bullet-proof as our Toyota's have been... but its not looking good so far. My wifes last car was a 2006 Solara SLE that we bought new, she drove it 40K trouble free miles. (I miss that car!)

The next closest dealer is 2 hours away... this Lexus actually came from there (dealer traded). My selling dealer is 20 minutes away... and with both our crazy schedules, the 20 minute drive is inconvenient.
Old 02-07-11, 08:44 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

You might want to call Lexus Corporate. Sometimes a bit of complaining can get some free stuff like servicing or whatever. Might be worth the call as it sounds like you've had a tough go with things. Even talking to the manager at the dealer might be worth a chat? I'm not sure how they've really been to you so far. One thing I will suggest though is that you keep pretty careful documentation of everything that happens to your car. Dealers aren't called stealerships for nothing.

I hope the car turns around for you. It's a great piece of kit and you've pretty unlucky to not enjoy it so far.
Old 02-07-11, 08:44 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cupped tires might be the alignment.
Old 02-07-11, 08:58 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As for tires, sounds like the bad factory alignment right out of the door which would wear out the inners super fast since it was supposedly set more toward racing instead of general use.

I had my tires ruined when I gotte my car as CPO and it was pulling too. Funny is that they put two new tires in. Ok they do that, but then they not notice how they were wearing out?

Good thing I went to a dedicated alignment shop and had a new set of tires installed. I was suprized by the difference before and after and the read-outs of the report.
Old 02-07-11, 09:02 PM
642mx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by busdepot
You might want to call Lexus Corporate. Sometimes a bit of complaining can get some free stuff like servicing or whatever. Might be worth the call as it sounds like you've had a tough go with things. Even talking to the manager at the dealer might be worth a chat? I'm not sure how they've really been to you so far. One thing I will suggest though is that you keep pretty careful documentation of everything that happens to your car. Dealers aren't called stealerships for nothing.

I hope the car turns around for you. It's a great piece of kit and you've pretty unlucky to not enjoy it so far.
I did send corporate Lexus an email requesting a survey from the first nightmare we had at the dealer (tire blowing apart). The dealer told me that not every person gets a survey when they have a problem... so I emailed Lexus asking for one. They sent one, I flamed the dealer and went on.

When I rejected the car for the second time, I talked to the "top brass" of the service department and expressed my concerns about there crappy work. I told them my attorney would be the next person I would call if they didn't fix it right and so on... it got real ugly, and I'm sure they hate me.... but in all honesty, I never did anything wrong (besides raising my voice). I just wanted my car back in perfect, flawless conditon... just like it was before it blew the tire out.
Old 02-07-11, 09:13 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my rwd 2007 is250 has had no issues...I had the brakes replaced at around 10k due to the brake dust issue, a rear strut went out at around 25k and two service campaigns done (peddals and fuel lines). Oh an last oil change I asked for a new shifter **** because I said the chrome was pitting a little bit.

Never had to pay for anything and all the work was done during a scheduled oil change where I was also provided with a loaner.

The customer service has been top notch.
Old 02-07-11, 09:26 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you my friend have received a bad seed
Old 02-07-11, 09:30 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

*gasp!*

Quick Reply: I'm a newbie that hates my 2010 IS250