IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS350 got stuck in the snow, now I'm really considering to trade it

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 10:19 AM
willfxp
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the mechanic says there's no weight in the rear, how about put something in the trunk? And did you test drive the BMW in the snow?
Old 02-03-11, 10:28 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably need to start practicing in an empty parking lot in the snow to learn how to control the car in snow conditions for those who are not quite experienced in the snow.

Since the car does not have true LSD, the throttle control is more important important so it does not cut off the power if you feather the pedals right or use the parking brake for assistance. With true LSD (or for those who have modified their car to have true LSD), you the RWD would essentially would be able to get out of situtations since the wheel with traction would spin up instead of staying still.

Last edited by Sango; 02-03-11 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-03-11, 10:43 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 Chicago winters and so far and no problems (I have winter tires). One time I thought I got stuck but I turned off traction control and rocked myself out.

If you want a BMW just get a BMW. Stop looking for excuses to get one.
Old 02-03-11, 10:43 AM
willi3ja
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With regards to "no weight in the rear", isn't the distribution still 52/48?
Old 02-03-11, 11:47 AM
Jordo487
Driver School Candidate

I bought some Blizzacks for my IS350. I am in Utah and we get plenty of snow.... They have been a LIFE SAVER!
Old 02-03-11, 11:47 AM
Grazy
Driver

i don't think RWD cars was meant to be driven in snows anyway... if you want to go through snow then you shouldve gone with the AWD
Old 02-03-11, 11:49 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Duke02
the 2IS Traction Control and/or snow mode almost killed me once (ok, that's exaggerating but it did almost get me t-boned). I'm not sure which was to blame but I think it was the traction control. I made a left turn onto a main road out of my development which is at the bottom of a hill. In the process of crossing the main road in my left turn, the car sensed wheel slip (duh!, there's gonna be some, it's snowing!) and cut all power for way too long and left me just sitting in the middle of the road with cars coming down hill with limited ability to brake. I had plenty of room when I pulled out but sitting there for 10 seconds like a turd in the middle of the road certainly took away any margin for error and scared the bejeezus out of me.
It's the traction control. I've had the same problem in mine.

In my case, I was taking a right turn on red, and had plenty (and I mean plenty) of time before on-coming traffic would get to the intersection...

The roads were clear, but I slipped on some random patch of ice over the storm grate, and the traction control killed power for far, far, far too long. I believe the people behind me had to slow down to avoid hitting me, and I felt really really bad.

I guess you could shut off the traction control, but that seems like such an over-reaction to a feature that could be helpful. Hopefully Lexus adjusts the traction control in the 3rd Gen IS.
Old 02-03-11, 12:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Grazy
i don't think RWD cars was meant to be driven in snows anyway... if you want to go through snow then you shouldve gone with the AWD
And yet most of the world drove around in snow with RWD for most of the last 100+ years just fine.

Good snow tires, proper use (or non-use in some cases) of traction control, and for bad conditions some extra weight in the trunk, and a RWD car is extremely capable in snow.

Witness all the folks who drive around in IS350s (or even IS-Fs) in the north, including Canada.
Old 02-03-11, 12:47 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And yet most of the world drove around in snow with RWD for most of the last 100+ years just fine.

Good snow tires, proper use (or non-use in some cases) of traction control, and for bad conditions some extra weight in the trunk, and a RWD car is extremely capable in snow.

Witness all the folks who drive around in IS350s (or even IS-Fs) in the north, including Canada.
Agreed. Since I from Vancouver as well, I've been lot of IS's around where people who know to drive in the snow. At times, the people who end up first in accidents are drivers who are over confident with their SUV's with AWD, regardless of what tires they were on.

It is mainly the driver's skill and he or she is using the proper tires.
Old 02-03-11, 12:48 PM
Dunkin1222
Pole Position

What a wuss...gets stuck and wants to trade car in??
Old 02-03-11, 01:06 PM
tardorange
Driver

I think OP needs some driving lessons. I drive in the snow with my RWD 5 series with all seasons and NO PROBLEMS.

Grow some *****... trading in your car because you got stuck. And the XI system is not that good. Its overrated...sure its better then RWD but if you think XI will magically make you an amazing driver overnight think again.

Last edited by tardorange; 02-03-11 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 01:23 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by SUPERBRINO
I knew RWD was not the best in the snow but I seem to manage also knew i had the optikn to get my car in AWD but for my own reasons didn't want it ... I have a truck also for that reason, these are all things I've considered before buying this car PLUS I have experience driving a powerful RWD vehicle in the snow, maybe it just wasnt a good match for you ... either way NO BMW!!! get the new STI or something lol my friend picked one up recently, sweet lil ride no more hatchback sedan is back!
335i will blow the STI away. 335i is luxury and power all in one and with a simple tune its more powerful then a M3 let alone a STI. . The STI is just a boy racer car.

Also the warranty and maintenance costs concerning BMW...I have paid more money servicing my Lexus cars then I have on my BMW's. My 325XI has 78k miles and its a daily driver and not a single thing has broken on the car just simple maintenance. My 528i has 40k miles and since day 1 it has needed nothing either. I am going to be paying $550 to get my ES350 and IS350 serviced this weekend. .

I pay $90 for an oil change at Lexus and I pay $120 at BMW. $90 gets my normal oil at 5k miles and $120 gets me synthetic oil for 15k miles. Whats the more expensive car now?
Old 02-03-11, 01:31 PM
dizzer
Driver School Candidate

Different circumstances are different circumstances. I have the same issues with my car because I live in the mountains (I bought my 350 before I even considered moving).

As much as I'd love to be able to drive around town in the snow, my 350 just doesn't cut it. If you feel you need AWD and can afford the trade, do it.
Old 02-03-11, 01:33 PM
twenty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I have a RWD IS250, and I haven't gotten stuck yet. In fact I've been quite happy with the performance. Did you try snow mode?

Jeff
x2, I'm quite happy with my car in winter (Canadian winter too). I have the blizzack winter tires... I'm getting used to the snow mode now, it's nice when it's slick out.
Old 02-03-11, 01:55 PM
drftsoarer
Driver

What did you expect?? RWD will never be as good as AWD in the snow.

Quick Reply: My IS350 got stuck in the snow, now I'm really considering to trade it