IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where to trace VIN number???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 11:39 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to trace VIN number???

Hey guys, trying to transfer my registration to another state. Does anyone know where there is a vin number that I can trace over? The windshield one is impossible. Thanks
Old 01-20-11, 11:41 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be VIN all over the cars to prevent theives from parting out stolen cars.

Doors, door pillars, trunk... and engine block . Open you door and look around.
Old 01-20-11, 11:42 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Yea I saw a couple but nothing that I saw that have numbers that stick up where you would be able to trace over it with paper and pencil.
Old 01-20-11, 11:44 AM
jlho1980
Driver School Candidate

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. VIN number, is redundant.

as stated above, VIN's are everywhere, unless it was a recovered theft vehicle. id check the door jamb where the air pressure amounts are.
Old 01-20-11, 11:45 AM
jlho1980
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
Yea I saw a couple but nothing that I saw that have numbers that stick up where you would be able to trace over it with paper and pencil.
oh, you need to actually "trace" it? well in that case, you may be SOL. will a picture do?
Old 01-20-11, 11:47 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine should have it stamped or there's VIN plate on it. But you won't be able to reach it easily...
Old 01-20-11, 11:53 AM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

yea maybe the car tag places will accept a pic.
Old 01-20-11, 11:55 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

They're requiring you to trace it? Seems like an odd request. I'd snap a photo, hand write the VIN in the (assumed) paperwork, and tell them that's the best you can do. ha
Old 01-20-11, 12:00 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

yea they said either go to a authorized mechanic to get a form filled, trace vin NUMBER (I love being redundant- j/k), or I have to bring the car for them to verify. Maybe its a Philly thing.
Old 01-20-11, 01:11 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch!! That's worse in capital letters !! Maybe the person who told you is giving you the text book answer and not what is the reality answer to get the VIN.
Old 01-20-11, 01:16 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by relaxfoo
yea they said either go to a authorized mechanic to get a form filled, trace vin NUMBER (I love being redundant- j/k), or I have to bring the car for them to verify. Maybe its a Philly thing.
what? i never heard of such a thing

well i just looked it up, apparently its true

How To Title and Register Your Out-of-State Vehicle in Pennsylvania

All new residents are required to make application for Pennsylvania title and registration of their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency in Pennsylvania.

As indicated below, individuals are required to have a valid form of Pennsylvania idenitification in order to make application to title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania. Although new residents have 60 days to obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license, there is nothing to prevent them from obtaining their Pennsylvania driver's license sooner.

Pennsylvania title procedures require that the out-of-state title be surrendered to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles when applying for a Pennsylvania title. The current lienholder of an out-of-state title may require that the vehicle owner refinance the balance of the outstanding lien through another lending institution and pay the out-of-state lienholder in full. A Pennsylvania certificate of title will only be issued when the out-of-state title is submitted with the completed Form MV-1, “Application for Certificate of Title.” Likewise, a temporary Pennsylvania registration plate may only be issued when the out-of-state title is submitted with the application for Pennsylvania certificate of title.

Form MV-1 is not available online. This form must be completed by an authorized agent of the Department. Most notaries, dealers, and messenger services are authorized agents and will be able to complete an application for title and issue you a temporary registration. Some authorized agents are online with the Department and are able to process your title and/or registration request on the spot. To locate an On-Line Messenger in your area that processes new resident title and transfers online, visit the Locations Information Center.

In order to title and register your vehicle(s), you will need to bring the following items with you to the authorized agent:

A valid title for all of the vehicles you want to register in Pennsylvania, issued in your name, from your previous state; and

Proof of Pennsylvania insurance, such as a valid insurance identification card, declaration page of an insurance policy, a copy of a valid binder or a copy of an application for insurance to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan for all of the vehicles you will be registering. These documents must indicate both effective and expiration dates.

A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the verification of the VIN by an inspection mechanic or notary public at a dealership or issuing agent.

Appropriate title, lien, registration fees and sales tax (if applicable). Make checks or money orders payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please do not send cash.

If you are titling and registering a leased vehicle, the leasing company will also be required to complete Form MV-1L. NOTE:A Power of Attorney may be required from the leasing company.
The Department will only allow agents to issue title and registration documents to customers who provide one of the following credentials for identification purposes:

a valid Pennsylvania Photo Driver's License
a valid Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card
a valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Driver's License
a valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Identification Card
a valid U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card
Dependents of Armed Forces Personnel must provide a valid United States Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form 1173)
Note: The requirements for Pennsylvania ID do not apply to the seller or sellers of a vehicle. However, this does not exempt the seller or sellers from providing valid government issued photo identification for identification purposes when completing motor vehicle documents as the seller of a vehicle.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 01-20-11 at 01:20 PM.