Print Wikipost

led tail light install problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 08:37 PM
JB84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led tail light install problem

Hi all, I was trying to install some led tails that I ordered from ebay made by eagle eye. I have a 2006 is350 and it said it fits it. It was suppose to be plug and play but when I got to the outside part of the light the wire harness won't connect and won't fit. I read on a couple of posts on here that some people had to splice the wires and do some modifications to make it work. I also heard if I do the mod wrong it can mess up some kind of codes or something. So I was wondering if anybody can tell me which cable wires are for the signal, power, and ground cable? And by any chance anybody know where I can get a wiring diagram for this install? Any kind of help would be appreciated...thanks.
Old 01-18-11, 04:20 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. You have to splice the wires. Just use a meter and you will figure out which wire is which. And it's just the brake/tail that you have to splice. It's not hard to figure out.
Old 01-18-11, 05:25 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps you can purchase an upgraded harness from one of our CL vendors. When I upgraded my 06 IS to ISF tails, I received a new wiring harness to accomodate the different fitment.

I would inquire at Sewell Lexus or Nigel JDM parts.
Old 01-18-11, 11:42 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

from what I have read, 08+ would have code error and need resister, yours is 06, so I think you are fine.
Old 01-18-11, 05:23 PM
Lexs350
Driver

I have an 08 350. I too recently purchased and installed LED tail lights from Eagle Eye from Ebay. I had to shorten down one of the mounting bolts from the inner tail light by cutting it with a hacksaw. You can remove it from the light assy. with a wrench. As for the outer lights, it came with a wire harness which i had to installed between the new LED Lights assy and the wire harness that was connected to the OEM outer tail light.

Did you get the wire harness with your new lights. It should of came with it and included in the price of the LED tail lights. I payed $219.99 shipped.

Last edited by Lexs350; 01-18-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 09:25 PM
JB84
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the helpful tips. I will give it all a try this weekend when I try to install them again.

Originally Posted by Lexs350
I have an 08 350. I too recently purchased and installed LED tail lights from Eagle Eye from Ebay. I had to shorten down one of the mounting bolts from the inner tail light by cutting it with a hacksaw. You can remove it from the light assy. with a wrench. As for the outer lights, it came with a wire harness which i had to installed between the new LED Lights assy and the wire harness that was connected to the OEM outer tail light.

Did you get the wire harness with your new lights. It should of came with it and included in the price of the LED tail lights. I payed $219.99 shipped.
I think I payed about the same too and it did come with a wire harness but the connector part from the new tail lights that plugs into the car wouldn't fit. Those little silver pins were too wide to fit into the connector on the car.
Old 01-18-11, 10:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by quang
from what I have read, 08+ would have code error and need resister, yours is 06, so I think you are fine.
Yup I got a few codes when I installed the tails. Do you know what kind of resistor I need for the fix? Also what's it tap into?
Old 01-18-11, 10:38 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, no experience with the resistor, but I assume you might need at least 2 or 3 resistors for each side. Hook up with redline201 who had done that. The resistor usually gets as hot as the light bulb, so you may want to find a good location to mount them.
Old 01-19-11, 08:34 AM
Lexs350
Driver

@JP84. It will fit. You just need to play with it. However check the new connector harness (the Black end) you got with the New LED's.
Above it you will see a small black lip. You need to slice that off with a Utilty knive so that the connector is nice and flat then the pins will line up. I then use black electrical tape, for good measure, between the connections to ensure a good tight connection.

I hope this will help you. Good luck. I have a photo of my new tail lights on the thread "ROLLCALL-WELCOME" #599 with pic's.
Old 01-19-11, 08:34 AM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

The problem isn't with the eBay LED's ... when I bought them for my IS250, they connected fine, now when I parted the car an sold them to a local, we found out Lexus made two different harnesses. All you have to do is take off the connecting wire that came with the LED's because you don't need it. The person I sold mine too, his IS was an 06 as well; we both were dumb founded to find out they have two different harnesses for stock tail setups.... I'm sure this will solve your problem
Old 01-19-11, 11:52 AM
JB84
Driver School Candidate

@JP84. It will fit. You just need to play with it. However check the new connector harness (the Black end) you got with the New LED's.
Above it you will see a small black lip. You need to slice that off with a Utilty knive so that the connector is nice and flat then the pins will line up. I then use black electrical tape, for good measure, between the connections to ensure a good tight connection.

I hope this will help you. Good luck. I have a photo of my new tail lights on the thread "ROLLCALL-WELCOME" #599 with pic's.
I think I know what your talking about but not entirely sure. When my friend was trying to connect them together the silver pins on the harness on the led were too wide to fit into the original connector on the car. I will have to show him this whole thread so he can figure exactly what he needs to do thank you!

Originally Posted by Blu SC3
The problem isn't with the eBay LED's ... when I bought them for my IS250, they connected fine, now when I parted the car an sold them to a local, we found out Lexus made two different harnesses. All you have to do is take off the connecting wire that came with the LED's because you don't need it. The person I sold mine too, his IS was an 06 as well; we both were dumb founded to find out they have two different harnesses for stock tail setups.... I'm sure this will solve your problem
That my sound like it would work. I'm not sure if we tried to take off the wire that came with the led like you said. Will definitely take a closer look at this thank you for the tip!
Old 01-19-11, 01:04 PM
Lexs350
Driver

No....you are correct. I had the same problem of the OEM wire end not goiing into the New LED connector inside the assy. That is why Eagle eye sent the additional wire harness. That harness goes in between the existing OEM harness (which use to be connected back on the OEM light) and the new LED assy. Helpful tip. To make it easier to connect the two connectors, I pulled out the connection inside the new LED assy then connected the harness that came with Eagle Eye to the back of the New LED assy and then connected the other end of this new harness to the OEM wire harness that use to be connected to the back of the OEM light assy. Confusing???? sorry. I hope this helps. If you need additional explaination PM me.
Old 01-23-11, 04:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Just so I understand, by adding the this new wire harness (the one between the aftermarket lamp and OEM harness, does this stop the error codes that are being thrown when the new harness is not between the two? I noticed you have an 08 too, and seems like it's working for you with out adding a resistor as some other members have had to do. You mention cut the black lip on the new wire as well. Just by eying the two connectors, I noticed that even if the black lip were cut, they don't line-up very well. The prongs on the white connector (pictured below) have to bent a little in order to get the two to connect. Any comments or advice on this? Thanks

Old 01-24-11, 01:22 AM
JB84
Driver School Candidate

Hi again all, just wanted to say thank you to everybody for their help. My buddy finished installing the tail lights today and all he did was splice them and connect the wires color to color. We did not have any kind of code problems or anything but I'll see after driving it for awhile. Just also wanted to say the led lights look real nice especially at night. Very satisfied with them, just hope it lasts and has no problems. Once again, thank you all.
Old 01-24-11, 07:02 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This **** happen to me too, I was pissed.

Quick Reply: led tail light install problem