IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any experiences with broken TPMS sensors here? (Think I was ripped off)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 12:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My god, reading this thread is making me more and more furious... I was already having trouble sleeping last night because of how angry I was, heh.

I HATE knowingly getting ripped off. Those guys lied straight to my face. It's really no different from stealing. It's criminal. I will get my money back one way or another.
Old 01-11-11, 01:58 PM
rizzy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
EDIT: One other thing while I'm here. I understand that a new TPMS sensor needs to be synced up to the ECU one way or another. Right now, it doesn't appear that that syncing was done since I am getting the low-pressure light in the dash. They told me that I would have to "drive around for a while for it to reset", which sounded like BS, but I thought I would probably have to be coming back there soon anyways, and didn't really want to stick around at the time. But now it's been a while (driven ~20 or so miles since the service), and the light is still on. Do I need to get them to re-program something in the ECU to get things working?

I also noticed that they slightly under-inflated the serviced tires. 32 and 33 PSI. Not enough to set off the TPMS warning, but still silly for a tire shop, especially when accompanied with all the other garbage they screwed up... I'm starting to wonder if they even flipped my tires at all. Doesn't seem like this place can do anything right except run a credit card.

Try refilling all your tires to you designated pressure and then re-initiate the sensors. This will make the pressure you just set your tires to the "new pressure". So if they get below that pressure your light will go on.
Old 01-11-11, 10:10 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rizzy
Try refilling all your tires to you designated pressure and then re-initiate the sensors. This will make the pressure you just set your tires to the "new pressure". So if they get below that pressure your light will go on.
Thanks, sounds simple enough. How do I re-initiate the sensors? Is there some pedal sequence for that? Or do I need to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to erase all the saved settings?
Old 01-12-11, 07:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

My god, reading this thread is making me more and more furious... I was already having trouble sleeping last night because of how angry I was, heh.

I HATE knowingly getting ripped off. Those guys lied straight to my face. It's really no different from stealing. It's criminal. I will get my money back one way or another.
Originally Posted by kensteele
Be prepared to go to conciliation court otherwise known as small-claims court.
Don't get angry; get even.
Old 01-12-11, 07:41 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Well to update...

I went back today (still furious they basically stole from me, but I try my best to be civil) and tell them that I know they broke my sensor, and I need them to give me the money for it. Leads to a bit of a heated argument with the asst mgr. "I'm a good christian man, you're accusing me of lying???" Incidentally the guy who was actually working on the car (and broke the sensor) didn't say much during the debate. A couple sentences to defend himself, and that was about it. That says something. I mean the assman seemed genuinely offended that I was making this accusation, but on the other hand, I know from my experiences doing bad things as a kid that sometimes when you lie confidently enough, you sort of start to believe your own lies, heh. At one point he even retaliated by saying that *I* was lying, and my TPMS light WAS on.

Ultimately he gave me my $115 back and asked me not to come back to his store. I will gladly oblige.

Honestly as angry as I was when I went in, I left feeling just a bit bad for the guys, even though they tried to rip me off. I guess it's just because I don't really like confrontations with strangers.... Then I remembered that not only did they rip me off, but they didn't even re-initialize my sensors properly, and I got over it.

Be careful, folks. I trust people less and less every day, but I really wish I didn't have to do that... I know people aren't all jerkbags deep down.

... Now to get my sensors re-initialized.
Old 01-12-11, 08:19 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

So they didn't use the bactec tool to reprogram the system? Were you at the store when they did the work?

I never leave my car out of site at any tire place. Gotta watch and make sure they don't scratch my lips, rip the bead or break sensors or valve stem. All of which has happen in one form or another even as I watched.
Old 01-12-11, 08:37 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
I suppose not, or if they did, they did it wrong.

I'm going to try to use rizzy's method to reprogram it myself than deal with them anymore.
Old 01-12-11, 09:32 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^
I suppose not, or if they did, they did it wrong.

I'm going to try to use rizzy's method to reprogram it myself than deal with them anymore.
Sorry about your troubles. I am a customer of America's Tires too. It is a hit or miss. They have broken the back clips on the wheels on my tundra. The cap flew off on the road somewhere shortly after they reblanced and rotated my tires. Ended up finding a decent deal for a set on eBay and moved on with my life. Not going back to the same location. This other Americas Tires ive been going to lately is better... surprisingly...

Regarding your TPMS.. if they broke it.. and replaced it. They should program the new sensor into your car.

See the code... these are my sensors for example.
Attached Thumbnails Any experiences with broken TPMS sensors here? (Think I was ripped off)-tpms_num.jpg  
Old 01-13-11, 03:31 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well to update...

I went back today (still furious they basically stole from me, but I try my best to be civil) and tell them that I know they broke my sensor, and I need them to give me the money for it. Leads to a bit of a heated argument with the asst mgr. "I'm a good christian man, you're accusing me of lying???" Incidentally the guy who was actually working on the car (and broke the sensor) didn't say much during the debate. A couple sentences to defend himself, and that was about it. That says something. I mean the assman seemed genuinely offended that I was making this accusation, but on the other hand, I know from my experiences doing bad things as a kid that sometimes when you lie confidently enough, you sort of start to believe your own lies, heh. At one point he even retaliated by saying that *I* was lying, and my TPMS light WAS on.

Ultimately he gave me my $115 back and asked me not to come back to his store. I will gladly oblige.

Honestly as angry as I was when I went in, I left feeling just a bit bad for the guys, even though they tried to rip me off. I guess it's just because I don't really like confrontations with strangers.... Then I remembered that not only did they rip me off, but they didn't even re-initialize my sensors properly, and I got over it.

Be careful, folks. I trust people less and less every day, but I really wish I didn't have to do that... I know people aren't all jerkbags deep down.

... Now to get my sensors re-initialized.
Yes, this is why I send emails instead as a first "warning" shot. Gives you time to think it out and write down your thoughts.

I'm glad you got your $$ back. Very surprised he told you not to come back. Either way, you did what you had to in order to not get taken advantage of. Sometimes that's just how life is...
Old 01-13-11, 06:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The method rizzy posted is to reset what the "normal" PSI is to the TPMS system.

It will not add a "new" TPMS sensor to your computer. You'll need a dealer (or tire place with the right tool) to accomplish that. And unless it's the place that installed the sensor (who presumably doesn't know what they're doing) it probably won't be free.

Even worse, if you don't have the code from the sensor, and the shop in question doesn't have the newer version of the tool, they'll need to unmount the wheel and physically read the code off the sensor in order to program it (which also won't be free).
Old 01-13-11, 08:13 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
I was thinking that the problem might be along those lines, actually... but they said that they were going to program the TPMS into my system. So I figured that maybe they did, and they just didn't re-initialize all the sensors afterward because that may be a more car make/model-specific procedure or something (or they just forgot because they're incompetent).

I hope I don't have to go back there because obviously I don't really want to deal with them again... hopefully a different Discount Tire will take care of it since I did still get the parts and service from within the chain. But if I need to, I will go back.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-13-11 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 08:33 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

thats why you find a shop that you trust and go there every time. these places cant even balance a 20inch wheel properly...
as far as the tpms sensor there is a thread on here that shows how to reinitialize it, that is if its programmed already.
Old 01-13-11, 10:24 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Just to be sure, if I follow the procedure to re-initialize the sensors, and it works (i.e. the low-tire warning goes away), then that means they did program the sensor in properly, right? And I'm done?
Old 01-13-11, 10:54 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

i beleive so
Old 01-13-11, 12:29 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Well so much for that... I re-initialized it, and I'm still getting the warning.

It seems there is no end to their incompetence. Who knows if they even remembered to put the new sensor in there, heh.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-13-11 at 12:45 PM.