IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 11:28 AM
andyroo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!

Hey guys,

I've had my '06 is350 for 4 years now and have never encountered this problem. My car key unlocks/locks the door fine, interior lights and headlights/breaklights are working fine, but my key won't start the car. When I press the start/stop button, it doesn't go into accessory mode and absolutely nothing happens. I recently changed the battery on my key and I'm guessing that has something to do with it. This is really frustrating because I am sure it's not a battery problem because everything is working fine except my car is rejecting my key somehow(?) Please, if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

-Andrew
Old 12-19-10, 11:38 AM
Srd555
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Andrew,

Do the dash lights come on at all when you press the button?
Does it say Key not Detected?
Can you try the spare key?
If the spare key cant start it either we can rule out the keys and look at something else.

Also, try putting the key right up against the start/stop button wait a few seconds, then try to start.
Old 12-19-10, 11:42 AM
andyroo
Driver

Nope, no dashlights at all, it doesn't even say "key not detected."

I've tried the spare key, I switched the batteries back and forth between the master key and spare key to see if it would do the fix and nope.

I've also tried putting it right next to the start/stop button and no go.

The interior lights work, horn works fine, headlights/tailights work fine,
but no dashlights, no accessory mode, nothing
Old 12-19-10, 12:19 PM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

From what you described, sounds like your main ECU is dead.
Old 12-19-10, 12:20 PM
Hapa88
Driver School Candidate

Or a bad start button?
Old 12-19-10, 12:27 PM
Srd555
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I was about to say the same thing as Dexterr...

You said you used two different Keys (transmitters) and had the same problem. So that rules out the keys. IMHO

As a test, I just unlocked my car with the key fob and left the keys in the house. I went to the car opened the door, sat down. The dash showed the door open light only. I then pressed the start/stop button. The car beeped, displays key not detected and flashes an orange exclamation point.

Yours is not doing anything when you hit the button (not even looking for the key) which leaves me thinking you have a problem with the start/stop switch and or the ECU that controls that circuit...

Sounds like a trip to the dealer....
Old 12-19-10, 12:28 PM
andyroo
Driver

I've been googling and googling about my problem, and the only relative results I got were all about engine immobilizing.

It seems that the car is not reading the key and I have to reset the immobilizer(?) Does anyone have a step-by-step process to do this or does the engine immobilizer have nothing to do with my problem??

Also, is there a way to check if my main ECU is dead? I doubt its a bad start button because the "Start Engine" led light turns on, but not the little light above it that turns yellow then green when you start the engine.
Old 12-19-10, 12:54 PM
andyroo
Driver

aghhh, I am really hating the fact that I might have to tow in my car to the shop on monday. I feel like this might be some standard fix that probably takes just a few minutes to fix, but can't even pinpoint the problem . Thanks again guys..

Car door can lock/unlock, Horn works fine, Headlights/Tailights work fine, Alarm works fine

Accessory mode doesn't turn on, dashboard lights don't come on, engine doesn't start (engine doesn't even turn over), also it's in steering lock.

Can someone grant me my christmas wish by fixing this problem
Old 12-19-10, 02:50 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think somewhere here there was someone with a similar issue. IIRC I believe it was because the car alarm had gone off sometime and the car thinks it's being stolen so it shut down...

I forgot how he got it remedied though...Sorry this doesn't help much to get it started again but it may be another idea as to why it's not.
Old 12-19-10, 02:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

quick question: when was the last time you changed the batteries in both keys?

i change mine once a yr whether it needs it or not.
Old 12-19-10, 03:24 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in ca are you located?
Old 12-19-10, 03:35 PM
andyroo
Driver

i'm in socal orange county, 714.

still couldn't find out the problem any and all help is appreciated.
Old 12-19-10, 03:40 PM
andyroo
Driver

Default (IS350) Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!

Hey guys,

I've had my '06 is350 for 4 years now and have never encountered this problem. My car key unlocks/locks the door fine, interior lights and headlights/breaklights are working fine, but my key won't start the car. When I press the start/stop button, it doesn't go into accessory mode and absolutely nothing happens. I recently changed the battery on my key and I'm guessing that has something to do with it. This is really frustrating because I am sure it's not a battery problem because everything is working fine except my car is rejecting my key somehow(?) Please, if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

-Andrew
Old 12-19-10, 03:41 PM
andyroo
Driver

Default (IS350) Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!

Hey guys,

I've been googling and googling about my problem, and the only relative results I got were all about engine immobilizing.

It seems that the car is not reading the key and I have to reset the immobilizer(?) Does anyone have a step-by-step process to do this or does the engine immobilizer have nothing to do with my problem??

-Andrew
Old 12-19-10, 03:42 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the freeways weren't as bad as they are right now in this weather, I'd stop by and hep you figure it out.

Try and push the brake pedal down as hard as you can.

Quick Reply: Key Unlocks/locks Door But Won't Start Car! Help!