IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 10:48 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Is there any way you can send a picture with the area you're talking about highlighted or circled? I'm having this rattle and really want to fix it.

Here's what I'm dealing with. The plastic trim piece surrounding the clear plastic cover for the gauges is rattling. This black trim piece is highlighted by the red arrow below:

Attachment 221657

There are two screws/clips that seem to hold this trim piece in place - these are highlighted by the white arrows. My thinking is that if I tightened those, it would hold the trim piece tighter and eliminate the rattle. In fact, if I apply pressure in the following manner, the rattle goes away. If I hold the top of the black trim piece with my thumb while clamping down with the rest of my hand on the top part of the dash, it goes away. This pressure is obviously preventing the trim piece from rattling. Here's a pic showing the pressure I apply on the top of the gauge area to eliminate the rattle:

Attachment 221656

The problem I see with tightening the screw/clips is that some people are saying they're screws and can be tightened, and others are saying they're clips and don't actually tighten when you turn them, they just spin in place. Can anyone speak to this? Has anyone fixed this particular rattle by tightening those screws/clips, or is there a different fix?
Here's the part I was talking about:

This is how you remove the side piece so that the lower trim can be removed. Using your fingers is good enough:

Pulled out

Now just pull the lower trim outward and it should pop right out. I put the electrical tape on the edge where it touches the upper trim

Hope this helps!
Old 09-07-11, 10:52 AM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rog1206
Here's the part I was talking about:

This is how you remove the side piece so that the lower trim can be removed. Using your fingers is good enough:

Pulled out

Now just pull the lower trim outward and it should pop right out. I put the electrical tape on the edge where it touches the upper trim

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much! I was tryin to find that rattle forever!!!
Old 09-07-11, 03:11 PM
ponychaser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem too, but I thought the rattle was at the top portion of the dash. I'll fiddle around with it to try to fix it. Thanks for the pictorial btw
Old 09-07-11, 03:31 PM
DY3K1D
Driver School Candidate

i get the creaking sound on the side panel of wood on the drivers side (with the window buttons and stuff) and i get some rattling in the dash when i turn my music up and also get rattling in the little pocket thing on the passengers side. it sucks
Old 09-07-11, 04:16 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ponychaser
I have this problem too, but I thought the rattle was at the top portion of the dash. I'll fiddle around with it to try to fix it. Thanks for the pictorial btw
rog - thank you so much for the pictures. Like ponychaser above, the rattle for me I think is actually coming from the top part of that plastic bezel/trim piece, above the gauges, not the lower part, but your fix might actually fix that rattle if I can put felt or something there so there's pressure.
Old 09-07-11, 04:39 PM
ponychaser
Driver School Candidate

Also, I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but I tried tightening the screws up top and that didn't do anything. They just float. Do I need to do anything special when taking them out and/or putting them back in?
Old 09-07-11, 07:39 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

The upper portion of the bezel is where I thought the noise was coming from a while back. If you put some tape where the bezel meets the lower trim, it might put some upward pressure on the bezel itself. Tightning those 2 screws won't do much good at all since I was able to push the screw in with my finger after taking it out.
Old 09-07-11, 07:42 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DY3K1D
i get the creaking sound on the side panel of wood on the drivers side (with the window buttons and stuff) and i get some rattling in the dash when i turn my music up and also get rattling in the little pocket thing on the passengers side. it sucks
Is the panel with the window controls kind of loose when you touch it? I can't remember how to take those off but try putting something in there so it's a tighter fit.
Old 09-07-11, 07:56 PM
DY3K1D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rog1206
Is the panel with the window controls kind of loose when you touch it? I can't remember how to take those off but try putting something in there so it's a tighter fit.
its not loose enough that i can pull it straight off but when im driving my knee sometimes rest against the door (idk why) and when i make turns it creaks A LOT. what would you recommend me putting in there?
Old 09-08-11, 07:44 AM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DY3K1D
its not loose enough that i can pull it straight off but when im driving my knee sometimes rest against the door (idk why) and when i make turns it creaks A LOT. what would you recommend me putting in there?
So you're resting the side of your left knee on the window controls and when you make turns, your weight shifts putting more stress on that area of the door? I do this too since it keeps my body in place when making hard turns and it does make a creaking noise once in a while. Try putting your leg straight where it belongs
Old 09-29-11, 03:27 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Just wanted to post an update here. I was experiencing a very aggressive rattle from the gauge cluster area, and I determined it was the black plastic bezel surrounding the gauges. It wasn't taut, so it was rattling around in place.

I followed rog1206's instructions in this post - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6664323-post76.html - and I can say my rattle is 100% fixed. I've been driving it now for a few weeks with no recurrence!

I followed his instructions exactly and applied several stacked layers of black electrical tape between the lower dash area and the bottom of the black bezel, where he's pointing to in the picture. I also applied it to the same area but on the right side of the steering wheel. What I believe this does is push the black bezel up, applying pressure so that it no longer rattles.

If you have any questions let me know, but I just wanted to post this for those suffering from it. A quick $5 fix with no tools necessary!
Old 09-29-11, 08:03 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

does the TSIB apply for my 2008 IS250?
Old 09-30-11, 06:40 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
does the TSIB apply for my 2008 IS250?
Yes. You can always go in and ask about the TSIB at your dealership. Not sure if you're in warranty or not.
Old 09-30-11, 01:17 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Yes. You can always go in and ask about the TSIB at your dealership. Not sure if you're in warranty or not.
yea i still got a few months left on it. also bought the car as CPO so wouldnt that make it an extended warrenty?
Old 09-30-11, 02:56 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
yea i still got a few months left on it. also bought the car as CPO so wouldnt that make it an extended warrenty?
Yes but the CPO warranty won't cover the dash and windshield rattle TSIBs, since it expressly does not cover interior trim pieces, which is what's failing and rattling in each case.

So go in and get every single squeak and rattle fixed under the factory warranty before it expires.

Quick Reply: Anyones dash rattling and popping really loud???