IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check TPMS light came on, then disappeared

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 09:00 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Check TPMS light came on, then disappeared

So when I drove into work today halfway through my commute the "Check System" (TPMS) alert came on - the red warning triangle was solidly on and the orange flat tire/TPMS logo would flash.

When I drove back back home the warning was still on when I started the car but disappeared a few minutes later. Any ideas? I use iForged TPMS adapters to make the TPMS system work with my aftermarket wheels. My best guess is that one of the adapters was jarred loose by a pothole or something, then fell back into place.
Old 12-06-10, 09:08 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it's on the borderline low/not low with the heat/cold of the evening.

Micaiah does that every so often. I just give him a spritz of air a couple of pounds and he's fine. I think it starts to go on at 36 psi.
Old 12-06-10, 09:11 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

^ It was a TPMS system failure, not a low tire pressure warning. I doubled checked the PSI in all my tires when I got home and it's all good.
Old 12-06-10, 09:21 PM
Micaiah

For me both the red triangle and the orange come on when it does that.
Old 12-06-10, 09:32 PM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been told it might be the spare?
i've check everything also and it still shoots error... i think i'm just gonna have them reset/ reprogrammed again...
Old 12-06-10, 09:36 PM
Micaiah

I think you can reset the yee haw by putting in the desired pressure in all the tires and then using the toggle button clicky thingy on the left of your steering column.
Old 12-06-10, 09:38 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

this is the most annoying thing ever..
My Check System / Red Triangle / Tire Light have been on for as long as i can remember. I bought some off a member here and the lights still go off, i got it programmed at the dealer the first time and few days later it came back on. Went back in the next week, waited 4 hours, drove the car, 3 days later, lights came back on. Of course knowing the dealership they said the TPMS sensors i bought were faulty or something.. something about having a hard time being detected.. I think im just going to sell the car like this.
Old 12-06-10, 10:22 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

The weird part is that it happened near the end of my commute, which is inconsistent with the borderline PSI theory (aside from the fact that I double checked all my tires) since the tires would have heated up and caused the PSI to jump, not go down.

Hmmm... any other ideas? I'm guessing either faulty adapters or sensors.
Old 12-06-10, 10:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ We've had A LOT of cars come in with the low tire on. Easy fix is to fill the tires to spec (and then some) due to the climate this time of year. That said, my guess in your case would be a faulty sensor. There not perfect, and it does happen from time to time for a sensor to fail.
Old 12-07-10, 05:20 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

I had a similar problem yesterday morning, I assumed it was due to the change in temp here in FL, but I found out some idiot put little rubberbands in my caps which made the sensors go off for low air since it was slowly releasing it.
Old 12-07-10, 09:04 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has it been cold? If so air pressure in tires drops...then when the tire warms up..pressure rises..
Old 12-07-10, 10:23 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Well, the exact same thing happened to me again this morning. No problems as I startup the car, and then near the end of my commute I suddenly get the solid red triangle with a "Check System" message, and the blinking orange TPMS indicator, which turns solid after blinking for a minute or two.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^^ We've had A LOT of cars come in with the low tire on. Easy fix is to fill the tires to spec (and then some) due to the climate this time of year. That said, my guess in your case would be a faulty sensor. There not perfect, and it does happen from time to time for a sensor to fail.
Yeah, definitely seems like a faulty sensor at this point. I'll bring it into a dealership this weekend.

Originally Posted by meangene
I had a similar problem yesterday morning, I assumed it was due to the change in temp here in FL, but I found out some idiot put little rubberbands in my caps which made the sensors go off for low air since it was slowly releasing it.
What a weird prank... maybe I'll check for that too.

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
has it been cold? If so air pressure in tires drops...then when the tire warms up..pressure rises..
Like I said, the issue came up at the end of my commute, after the tires would have warmed up, thus increasing the PSI. If it was related to the cold that order should be reversed (TPMS light upon startup, then goes away as you drive). Plus, the error I'm getting is "check system" not "low tire" so I don't think it's related to PSI at all. And again, I checked all my PSIs and they're good, and it's actually been relatively warm in the Bay Area this week.

# # #

I'll report back what the dealer says, but it's most likely a faulty sensor. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-07-10, 11:21 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

^^ Never seen a "Low Tire" message. Mine always has said "check system". When your TPMS arent detected, it takes the car about 15 minutes to detect it and put up the "check system", red warning sign and flash the tire pressure light. When i got my tires/rims + new tpms, i didnt get them re-programed (they were already mounted) so every day i deal with a 15 minute drive then i get the annoying warning... I just lived with it since i heard dealers charge a lot to re-program, no big deal.
Old 12-07-10, 11:29 AM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

It is when your trying to sell the car
Old 12-07-10, 11:42 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by heyarms
^^ Never seen a "Low Tire" message. Mine always has said "check system". When your TPMS arent detected, it takes the car about 15 minutes to detect it and put up the "check system", red warning sign and flash the tire pressure light. When i got my tires/rims + new tpms, i didnt get them re-programed (they were already mounted) so every day i deal with a 15 minute drive then i get the annoying warning... I just lived with it since i heard dealers charge a lot to re-program, no big deal.
Ahh, makes sense. Sounds more and more like I have a faulty sensor.

Quick Reply: Check TPMS light came on, then disappeared