IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Issues with battery/alternator.... again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 11:18 AM
IS2Fuego
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Issues with battery/alternator.... again?

Hi Everyone, It seems like I am having issues with my battery/alternator again.

(posted before, Bad alternator or bad serpentine/drive belt? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (never finished updating but replaced both battery & alternator along with belt & replaced spark plugs)

I read a few threads but most were about the alternator being replaced & then the car not starting, or random unexplained issues such as this link which is kinda of close to my issues: (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-charged.html)

07 LEXUS IS250 RWD
160K Miles
VSC / Check engine / Traction Control light on (from previous alternator issue)
Battery/Alternator replaced 2-3 Years ago

Anyways, Monday Morning I got in the car & my dome light above center console was on... odd, I never turn that light on & I swear I checked my car 100 times & made sure it was locked. The car started right up but I had a bad feeling it drained the battery pretty good. I drove downtown 20 Miles & back home and in the area (20 - 30 miles) & the car was fine. I thought I drove it enough to charge battery back up. The rest of night car was fine as well.

Tuesday morning, temperatures dropped to 10 or below & my girlfriend said the steering wheel was very difficult to turn, lights seems dim but no dash lights came on. 7 hours later, she drives home, steering wheel still difficult to turn & the battery light came on. I inspect the engine when she pulls up the driveway & immediately hear a weird whining noise or something & a slight burning smell possibly. I immediately feel like its the alternator, but I drive it work & unplug the battery & take to local auto store to have it charged while at work, I plug the battery in after leaving it with them for 3 hours & car starts up with some slight hesitation. I let the car warm up for about 10 - 20 min & for the first time ever it is idling at 500 - 700 Rpms & it is warming up very slow. The headlights are on but kind of dim & the interior lights seemed to be working okay. The light on the rear view mirror was going haywire though, it was quickly displaying all letters rapidly over and over.
I ended up driving it to the front & mistakenly putting on the heater while I waited to clock out for another 5 - 10 min. I come back to the car & all the lights are going crazy on entertainment area & car is making a weird revving noise like its about to die. So i turn off the car realizing I shouldnt have put heat on & let it reset for 20 min. Tried again & no luck.

I left the car overnight & Wednesday Morning (Today) I replaced the battery & car started right up with very little hesitation. The car has been on since 10:20 am & it is now 12:16am local time & I have not shut off the car fearing it will not turn back on & I have work soon. Everything is working at the moment, HEAT, Radio, Power Seats, Windows, interior lights, etc. The car did take over an hour to fully warm up. I drove it around a bit as well. What are your thoughts? I tried to give as much info as possible, sorry for all the reading.

UPDATE: I turned off the car at 12:20 & she started right back up with no problems when I took off to work at 1 PM. She sat for 8 hours & started up again no issues & I have not had any issues since replacing the battery.. after more reading through the threads I think I'll go ahead and replace my cables for the positive & negative. I don't think they corroded or anything but just to cover all my bases I will just swap them out.

Last edited by IS2Fuego; 01-28-21 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Updated 1/28
Old 01-27-21, 01:05 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 767 Likes on 670 Posts

The battery life is around 3-5 years. Temperatures play a big roll on how long they really last.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/the-ef...-battery-life/

As for the buring smell I'd monitor the battery voltage. Seems like you will eventually have a bad alternator. The burning smell is not a good indicator.

I'd recommend getting OBD Fusion, and a VEEPEEK Bluetooth adapter. You can always monitor live data on the fly.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pid-pack.html

The following users liked this post:
IS2Fuego (01-28-21)
Old 01-27-21, 01:14 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I would say its the alternator again.... I replaced mine with a rebuilt one and warrantys only 1 year or 20k miles. I also had that same whining sound as well almost like a supercharger, once I got it replaced the sound went away and so did the lights.
IS2Fuego (01-28-21)
Old 01-27-21, 03:28 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

Did you replace the alternator with an OEM Denso model?
Old 01-28-21, 08:42 PM
IS2Fuego
Driver

@Protholl I did not replace the alternator with an OEM.. like @ncatona I too replaced it with a refurbished one from auto store (was tight on money back then) but I expected it to last more than 2 years...

@MikeFig82 I did end up having 2 different auto stores test my battery, 1 said Volts too low & possibly bad alternator & the other said all good. Last time, this happened I believe I replaced the battery first as well & 2 months later the alternator went out on me. I hoping that is not the case this time..
Old 01-28-21, 08:52 PM
IS2Fuego
Driver

@ncatona I replaced mine last time with a refurbished one as well and expected it last longer than 2 years & more than 20K miles... Will see what happens with the dash lights this time around if I am forced to replace it with an OEM.
ncatona (01-21-22)