IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - Upgrade Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 08:44 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

daym man. nice diy. I dont think I'll ever have that much time to attempt it. ! propz
Old 10-19-10, 09:12 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yo am a lexus master tech thats good work and wireing display ,diy nice
Old 10-19-10, 09:22 PM
LED guy
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lexusis305
yo am a lexus master tech thats good work and wireing display ,diy nice
Apparently you're not a english major.

Joking aside, that's amazing!
Old 10-19-10, 10:08 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn dude, you got skills. And I was all proud of myself for installing a midpipe.
Old 10-19-10, 10:15 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Great write-up. But I do agree. This is not for your typical DYIer. But if you can follow instructions (which you've done pretty well here) you can do this.
Old 10-20-10, 08:48 PM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa!!! This is an awesome DIY but
Dan I think it is too much lol...

toHn
Old 10-20-10, 09:37 PM
mikemoto81
Rookie

Seriously been waiting for a DIY like this, you 'DA man! I'm gonna give this a shot in the near future, thanks for your hard work!!
Old 10-21-10, 09:14 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the props, I know it seems daunting but it's not really all that bad. I went into this with zero previous experience, it was actually my first time ever using a voltmeter. If you can do the nav haq/bypass, then you can tackle this mod.

P.S. For those who are planning to attempt this I will be making an adjustment to the DIY. I have found a better wire to tap than the door trigger, the wire is right next to the black wire I specify (it's white and two slots over) which is for the door unlock detection. I did the install on another IS, but for some reason, although the glass break sensor was tripping the door trigger(light was turning on), the alarm was not going off. This was weird because the tilt sensor, which was tied into the same door pin, was tripping the alarm. Changing over to the door unlock detection, which is a ground trigger as well, fixed the problem.
Old 10-21-10, 09:21 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusK
Sorry to go kinda offtopic, but does anyone know how sensitive the factory alarm is? My friends IS keeps getting egged and Im wondering why the alarm isnt going off to warn her. I wanna know if theres a way to make it more sensitive.
The factory alarm only activates if a door, hood or trunk is opened/unlocked. You would need to integrate either a shock, or proximity sensor into the alarm, or get an after-market to have it go off when getting egged.
Old 10-21-10, 09:28 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

I've went through your walkthrough 3x now and just trying to figure everything out before I start tearing away at the interior. Expect some PMs in Novemeber when I'm less busy .
Old 10-21-10, 09:33 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by svntwosix
I've went through your walkthrough 3x now and just trying to figure everything out before I start tearing away at the interior. Expect some PMs in Novemeber when I'm less busy .
Lol, no worries. I admire your braveness, you will be the first to attempt to my knowledge
Old 06-25-11, 11:14 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just stumbled across this, really would like to add the shock sensor to my vehicle. To many people like to wail their doors open. Door dings on a black lexus are very ugly.
Old 09-07-11, 04:13 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm thinking about adding a radar field disturbance sensor that has a prewarn ... does anyone know if it can hook up in such a way that a prewan will trigger the beeps and flashes like when you press the Lock button?
Old 10-10-11, 11:20 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I did this over the weekend on my non-nav 2008 Lexus IS350 (I actually hook up an alarm system through this).

Taking the air vents out takes the longest. Make sure you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF_JNaVTir0 before doing it, if you read the instructions on the DIY nav hack thread, it sounds complicated and gets confusing (at least I got confused and did it wrong :/ ) It's very simple on the video. After that you can read the rest on how to remove the stereo unit. You might want to use one of those L shaped torque tools, I need that on my 10mm bolts, or it won't move at all with the power tools.

Another tip on removing the wires plug into the stereo is to use a small screw driver as leverage to pry it out, while holding the locking clip down. Otherwise, you'll get sore fingers trying to pull them out like me ...

Originally Posted by rcJten
For those with non nav, you will need to look for a plug, that when looked at from the back, as the photo above, will start with a Green wire (BATT) in the top right corner and 10 slots later (Right to left) should have an Orange wire (ACC). These are your tap locations. I highly recommend you use a voltmeter to test these to make sure they are correct. If you do this, please take a pic of the plug so I can post for others, thanks!
Here's a picture of the wires. It's actually the top 2 wires (green and orange) on the bottom plug of the group. They're next to each other. Also, I think the timer delay part is not needed since the tilt sensor has a 2 minutes delay.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Upgrade Factory Alarm-imgp2389.jpe  
Old 01-08-12, 10:11 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quick Reply: DIY - Upgrade Factory Alarm