IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.

Old 11-21-11, 08:20 AM
BeanBone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to provide some hope. After back and forth with the dealer, corporate and the LExus twitter, my dealership ended up swapping out the dash under warranty for $0. Keep pushing, guys.
Old 02-11-12, 01:24 AM
BigWiLL345
Driver

sorry to bring back a dead thread, but i just got my 2IS a couple weekes ago and notice this happening to my dash and door panels. the car is an 06 with 73k on it, anyone in South Florida know of a dealership that would help me out?
Old 02-11-12, 02:42 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Nope the dealership and corporate said thats normal wear and tare
Old 02-11-12, 12:04 PM
BigWiLL345
Driver

Originally Posted by accelerate
Nope the dealership and corporate said thats normal wear and tare
thats sad cause my 92 maxima dash is still perfect.
Old 02-27-12, 09:31 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that Lexus released a TSIB for the melting dash/door problem, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have it? Please let us know. Thanks!
Old 03-30-12, 08:39 PM
jeweltag
Driver School Candidate

hey guys i am from malaysia, and my is250 also has this problem of a sticky and brittle plus easy to scratch dashboard!!! this annoying problem can be countered by a complete wrap over in alcantara/ suede or leather cut and stitched to a perfect fit for the entire shape of the dash. A change of the dashboard is not worth it as it is expensive and also very very tidious...plus the problem comes back soon enough to irritate the daylights out of you..
very very annoying problem!
Old 03-31-12, 06:53 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeweltag
hey guys i am from malaysia, and my is250 also has this problem of a sticky and brittle plus easy to scratch dashboard!!! this annoying problem can be countered by a complete wrap over in alcantara/ suede or leather cut and stitched to a perfect fit for the entire shape of the dash. A change of the dashboard is not worth it as it is expensive and also very very tidious...plus the problem comes back soon enough to irritate the daylights out of you..
So, you have done that with success? I would love to see the pic as I am interested going that route.
Old 03-31-12, 07:44 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeweltag
+1 for pics!
The following users liked this post:
javswish (06-06-23)
Old 11-11-12, 09:43 AM
Rising2010
Rookie

Hey everyone I have a 2007 IS250 that was originally bought from Florida but has been in Jamaica with me since 2010. The sticky dash problem, along with scratches and pieces of the dashboard coming off has been happening. Also, I have this problem on my door panels as well.

I read here that the Mr. Clean Magic eraser can take off the sticky film and another forum said lime juice. Has anyone tried these methods?

Also I went on ebay as well as googled but cannot seem to find a place that sells the entire dash. Can anyone assist?

There are no Lexus dealerships in Jamaica so to fix this problem I am going to have to replace the dash or rewrap the dashboard in a different material.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-11-12, 09:49 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would find it hard to believe that acid (lime juice) would help the problem....really all you can do is keep it out of sun with a visor and try not to touch it. They also sell the cloth type covers on ebay, that might be a good solution but I never liked the look on other cars.

I had mine replaced free by Lexus of Tampa Bay.
Old 11-12-12, 09:29 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

06 is350 with 110,000 miles. mechanically sound but my dash is a different story. im in for some answers regarding this sticky dash issue. Anyone have luck getting a goodwill replacement or any kind of help from lexus while out of warranty ? Paying full price is obnoxious.
Old 11-13-12, 07:35 AM
StickyNM
Driver School Candidate

just something to share, when dashboard is sticky and melting, finger prints will be all over the surface. Before and after.
Attached Thumbnails My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.-car-photo.jpg  
Old 11-20-12, 08:20 AM
Rising2010
Rookie

My sticky dash is now making it very difficult to drive when the sun is very bright.

Eg.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any product that can remove the sticky film? I tried the mr. clean magic eraser and it didnt work.

I am going to try the lemon juice suggested next. I read on another forum that the 3m adhesive cleaner may work as well. So I am going to try and find that product.
Old 11-20-12, 02:24 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Well I got a call from Lexus today denying any assistance in the replacement of my melting dash. Reason being my car was far out of warranty and such an issue is not even covered under warranty. What are my options now..... I tried the Lexus of Akron-canton
Old 11-20-12, 07:30 PM
Rising2010
Rookie

Originally Posted by Offspring
Well I got a call from Lexus today denying any assistance in the replacement of my melting dash. Reason being my car was far out of warranty and such an issue is not even covered under warranty. What are my options now..... I tried the Lexus of Akron-canton
That is a lie, it is covered under warranty according to Lexus Service Bulletin dated December 2, 2011.

The warranty is a joke though 48 months or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. I have attached the service bulletin. Hope it works out for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0144-11.pdf (154.5 KB, 711 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My used Lexus IS250 has a soft, sticky dash that scratches and mars easily.