ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Changing License Plate Lights (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/525203-changing-license-plate-lights.html)

poorkidlol 09-14-10 10:30 PM

Changing License Plate Lights

After some intensive reading, it seems the the "license plate" lights are already LED and there is no need to to change it unless I want it in a different colour.

I want my Puddle Light have the same brightness with my License Plate Light

I saw some pictures but some people define them as "extremely bright" or "super bright".

Any know what size of 168 bulb to get so my puddle light will be the same as my license plate light so it won't overpower it?

brociouz 09-14-10 11:27 PM

The license plate lights are part of an assembly and cannot be easily changed. In fact, I don't think anyone has successfully done it on this forum, despite multiple attempts. If you were to attempt it, sounds like you'd have to take the whole thing apart then solder on new LEDs. It's definitely not plug and play.

Not sure why you're so worried about the puddle lights matching your license plate lights since they're far apart, but I suspect this LED would come closest in color/output: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...98419-1-2.html. You are talking about the light under your side view mirrors when you say puddle light right? It's a 192/168 bulb, and it should be a flank LED like the one I linked you to.

Bigrahizzl 09-15-10 09:21 AM

^^^^ Hes the LED master LOL

Sffd103 09-15-10 10:48 AM

Brian is the crazy light guy with $$$ thrown at them!! All hail da master!

WIZARD1325 09-23-11 06:46 PM

License plate lights

how do you take these things out? tried to take the bulb out but notice there one whole unit

I wanted to put some LEDS in them

HeartmyIS 09-23-11 06:54 PM

You have to remove the trunk panels including the outside ones. They are not bulbs, they will need to be solder with new LEDs.

chi123 09-23-11 07:13 PM

You need to take apart the trunk lining, license plate, and lower trunk part to pull out the license plates lights. It's not worth it messing with it. I changed out ALL my lights on my car, only stock bulbs are the turn signals. It took me three hours to deal with the license plates lights only to find out they were LEDs already and an assembly that is almost impossible to open up. I tried heating the housing up, stepping on it, squeezing it with pliers, and it just won't open. I ended up double side tapping (2) 2W LEDs over the housings and now it lights up the ground and is a pure white instead of the yellowish stock LEDs. I like the result but not worth all the time.

GilIS250 09-23-11 08:42 PM

^^^ chi, thank you for saving me hassle... will try this once I am completely bored... (which doubt it will happen)

istarzan 09-23-11 09:18 PM

What happens if the factory leds go out?

2slow 09-23-11 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by chi123 (Post 6702310)
You need to take apart the trunk lining, license plate, and lower trunk part to pull out the license plates lights. It's not worth it messing with it. I changed out ALL my lights on my car, only stock bulbs are the turn signals. It took me three hours to deal with the license plates lights only to find out they were LEDs already and an assembly that is almost impossible to open up. I tried heating the housing up, stepping on it, squeezing it with pliers, and it just won't open. I ended up double side tapping (2) 2W LEDs over the housings and now it lights up the ground and is a pure white instead of the yellowish stock LEDs. I like the result but not worth all the time.

You cut the housing and you can pull out the circuit board. Put it back together with silicone and epoxy. Sand it down and paint, if you want to hide the epoxy.

WIZARD1325 09-24-11 01:07 AM

What was Lexus thinking first the air vents now the plate lights? ERrrrrr guess the car just cant be perfect o well

GilIS250 09-24-11 04:33 AM

they just wanted to make few things hard for us.. :D

omgitsjoe 09-24-11 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by GilIS250 (Post 6702911)
they just wanted to make few things hard for us.. :D

Sounds like my ex wife's attitude :rolleyes: ! Sorry for the hijack my bad !

GilIS250 09-24-11 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by omgitsjoe (Post 6702934)
Sounds like my ex wife's attitude :rolleyes: ! Sorry for the hijack my bad !

LMAO no dramas ... it does sounds like someone's ex-wife or maybe the current :rolleyes::D:cool:

birador 09-24-11 07:05 AM

led's will last longer than the typical bulb.i believe sooner we will find ways to DIY this!