ebay jdm lip...? any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 07:42 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay jdm lip...? any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...item5194bd217d

I believe this is a fabulous cf replica lip. I don't want the cf lip and been searching for non-cf lip like this and this is what I exactly want. Any reviews or feedbacks on these? I wanna make sure before I purchase it...thanks guys
Old 08-28-10, 01:30 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

So let me put it this way, you may or may not get one that fits properly. The replica items are usually made from creating a mold from the real item. Now by making a mold properly, you'll definitely get a near perfect replica of the item when they mold the plastic. Unfortunately when the mold is used, it tends to leave residue and/or deform which causes subsequent replicas to be not as precise. Usually they can get about 4-6 replicas made from a single mold prior to significant quality decrease.

Sounds easy to manage right? Unfortunately that means the shops have to remake the mold again and again which is more cost so they tend to use the same mold again and again and again. If you're ordering it, you MAY end up getting one of the first units of the mold it came from or be unlucky and get the not so perfect ones. The latter being the most likely. This results in your kit to not fit precisely. I doubt this the shop is ignorant or incompetent but rather they want to make money and lousy products for a low price is their way to profitting. Fine by me to be honest but don't expect any Ebay replicas to be good fitment. it COULD be perfect but unlikely by chance. Tkae a chance if you want
Old 08-28-10, 02:13 AM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if it fits ur budget then go for it. as far as fitment issues, let me put it this way... even oem factory gfx kits had fitment issues. just do a search theres plenty of threads about it. im not saying every oem product doesnt fit perfectly but there is going to be a few that dont.

i have that fap rep and it fit nicely... the key to installation is to start from the center.

Old 08-28-10, 03:14 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
So let me put it this way, you may or may not get one that fits properly. The replica items are usually made from creating a mold from the real item. Now by making a mold properly, you'll definitely get a near perfect replica of the item when they mold the plastic. Unfortunately when the mold is used, it tends to leave residue and/or deform which causes subsequent replicas to be not as precise. Usually they can get about 4-6 replicas made from a single mold prior to significant quality decrease.

Sounds easy to manage right? Unfortunately that means the shops have to remake the mold again and again which is more cost so they tend to use the same mold again and again and again. If you're ordering it, you MAY end up getting one of the first units of the mold it came from or be unlucky and get the not so perfect ones. The latter being the most likely. This results in your kit to not fit precisely. I doubt this the shop is ignorant or incompetent but rather they want to make money and lousy products for a low price is their way to profitting. Fine by me to be honest but don't expect any Ebay replicas to be good fitment. it COULD be perfect but unlikely by chance. Tkae a chance if you want
even legit authentic stuff doesn't fit perfectly sometimes. nothings perfect out there.
Old 08-28-10, 10:38 AM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Yea I know the whole replica myth /story from being ex-honda owner. I just wanted to know if anyone have bought that lip from that ebay vendor I posted...
Old 08-28-10, 10:51 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

mayb you can check the store's feedback and look for the reviews on the fab lip
Old 08-28-10, 10:57 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xuningshen
even legit authentic stuff doesn't fit perfectly sometimes. nothings perfect out there.
Typically cases like that is poor installation. I have never had a problem with any of my parts, and they're all authentic. I don't believe in supporting fake/reps
Old 08-28-10, 12:52 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dont know that already, but there is an authentic fabulous non cf lip. Just saying.
Old 08-28-10, 01:15 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I remember seeing a member from before with a rep FAB lip and it had a horrible gap on the side as if it was too short.
Old 08-28-10, 01:19 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

my friend has one that is perfect fit, but it's like 1/100 they made hope you are lucky enough to get the one that is perfect fit.
Old 08-28-10, 01:21 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

i have one before i cracked it... fits fine

Andre
Old 08-28-10, 02:35 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
If you dont know that already, but there is an authentic fabulous non cf lip. Just saying.
cool. but just checked the price on them and they go for $300-500 and the cf front lip goes for $700... -_____- wow.... ridiculous....
Old 08-28-10, 02:36 PM
GFM2Fitty
Rookie

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
i have one before i cracked it... fits fine

Andre
that same ebay one i'm talking about?
Old 08-28-10, 06:42 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

its eBay..
prepare to not be satisfied
Old 08-29-10, 02:34 AM
Ki11switch
Rookie

I just recently bought a fab lip on ebay not from this seller, but from another one. When i ordered mine i knew not to expect perfect. When it came in i was really disappointed. first the lip was off a 3/4 of an inch on each side, the brackets required cutting and drilling, and Abs material over the fiberglass was pitted which exposed fiberglass. Thinking i could save money and go this route i just decided to make it my weekend project for the next two weeks. After bondo-n, sanding, wet sanding, and painting it turned out near perfect except for the paint which was a little off since i was spraying out of a can. If remembering correctly i spent as much as buying the real thing, but the learning experience out of it was very satisfying.

Quick Reply: ebay jdm lip...? any thoughts?