IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights LED strips not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 09:45 AM
Drpower
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DEPO Headlights LED strips not working

I have the DEPO headlights with the LED DRL strips. Yesterday I noticed that the led strips on both headlights went out. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I am running out of ideas about what else to check. Anyone else experienced this issue. Any advice on how to fix it?

Last edited by Drpower; 10-08-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-08-20, 11:36 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have 1 of my LED DRL strips gone out on the DEPO headlights. Both going out is an improvement lol

These headlights don't seem to be of good quality. I'll be going in to try to take out my other DRL that's still working -- not worth it trying to fix them.
Old 10-08-20, 04:07 PM
Drpower
Driver

Lol, it seems that way. Yeah, they aren't the best for sure. Are you going to bake them to open them up?
Old 10-08-20, 04:25 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

I think the VIPmoto headlights are the best bang for the buck. They basically were the first ones to offer after market headlights for the 2nd gen. They had a lot of time to address problems, and fix their problems as well. If looking into purchasing any new ones. I'd definitely recommend getting them. Just remember to seal the headlights, and make sure the back cover is properly sealed. This will help to keep the condensation out for good.
Old 10-08-20, 11:38 PM
nosurprise
Racer

I mainly like the look of the DEPOs because they look just like OEM (when working). I wished they made the headlights with higher quality.
Originally Posted by Drpower
Lol, it seems that way. Yeah, they aren't the best for sure. Are you going to bake them to open them up?
I had baked them opened to add LED bulbs inside and change the reflectors because of the extremely bad light output pattern. You should try it if you're up to it. There isn't much to the DRL LEDs, so if there is something wrong, I don't think it's fixable other than replacing parts. I don't really care about the DRL that much so I'll try to disconnect the power to my other DRL that's still lighting up.

You can check out one of the forum member's video below to get an idea.

Old 10-09-20, 05:40 AM
Drpower
Driver

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I mainly like the look of the DEPOs because they look just like OEM (when working). I wished they made the headlights with higher quality.

I had baked them opened to add LED bulbs inside and change the reflectors because of the extremely bad light output pattern. You should try it if you're up to it. There isn't much to the DRL LEDs, so if there is something wrong, I don't think it's fixable other than replacing parts. I don't really care about the DRL that much so I'll try to disconnect the power to my other DRL that's still lighting up.

You can check out one of the forum member's video below to get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Z2q-5vY2o
Ill definitely be taking on this very soon. Yeah I watched his videos and the entire process seems to be manageable, so ill give it a try. What did you used for the reflectors? Also, did you change the projectors or kept the halogen ones?
Old 10-09-20, 01:33 PM
nosurprise
Racer

In the video, he removed the wires and wire harness from the headlights. That's not necessary since baking the headlights with the wires doesn't do any damage to them.

I put in the PROFILE BI-LENS LED projectors (bulb, reflectors, etc all in one). You need to cut the bracket to fit it in -- there is also a thread on this process with pics; he may have a video as well.

I would be interested if you can find anything wrong with the DRLs or you can somehow fix them.