IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lack of respect for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 11:40 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

For those how say IS can't handle as well as 335 here's what happen to me last Thursday on my way home on Merit parkway I ran across 335I coupe, I had just intstalled my F - Sport parts so when 335 came acroos could help my self, we had a little fun with each other heading back into Westchester county neither one of us getting clear lead, at time hitting 120mph I know that's very fast but we were the only two around and this was great opportunity to see what IS350 with my F-sport suspension could in real time against 335. When we both had to slow down do to road work he pulled up next to me and said he was surprised that I kept up with him he saw it was IS350 but he thought that my car could not hang with him in turns. When I told him I had F-sport components (CAI, exhaust, sways, springs, chassis brace) he said impressive gave me thumbs up and got off at the next exit.
Attached Thumbnails Lack of respect for IS350-1273249984478.jpg   Lack of respect for IS350-1273249962795.jpg   Lack of respect for IS350-1273250136716.jpg   Lack of respect for IS350-1273165782865.jpg  
Old 07-29-10, 11:43 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
For those how say IS can't handle as well as 335 here's what happen to me last Thursday on my way home on Merit parkway I ran across 335I coupe, I had just intstalled my F - Sport parts so when 335 came acroos could help my self, we had a little fun with each other heading back into Westchester county neither one of us getting clear lead, at time hitting 120mph I know that's very fast but we were the only two around and this was great opportunity to see what IS350 with my F-sport suspension could in real time against 335. When we both had to slow down do to road work he pulled up next to me and said he was surprised that I kept up with him he saw it was IS350 but he thought that my car could not hang with him in turns. When I told him I had F-sport components (CAI, exhaust, sways, springs, chassis brace) he said impressive gave me thumbs up and got off at the next exit.

Not too surprising. I am coming from a 335i coupe, actually, and I've always said that stock for stock the 335i clearly handles better than an IS350.

However, these F-sport sway bars make a world of difference for the IS350. F-sport sway bars are far and away the best modification for the IS350.
Old 07-29-10, 11:50 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Not too surprising. I am coming from a 335i coupe, actually, and I've always said that stock for stock the 335i clearly handles better than an IS350.

However, these F-sport sway bars make a world of difference for the IS350. F-sport sway bars are far and away the best modification for the IS350.
Brother, have to agree with you by far the best mod were you really feel a major difference are the sway bars. If you don t do anything else to your car do this upgrade best bang for your buck
Old 07-29-10, 03:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dexterr
Tell me about it bro. I couldn't believe the fine I had to pay. It's actually $525.00 for the ticket, then I had to go to traffic school (38 bucks) then pay the court fees.

I was on hwy 280 near Woodside Road. If you are local, you know 280 is f#cken autobahn, 80mph are for sissies on 280. I see Honda Accords going 90mph there daily. Anyway, he got me. Now I have to f#cken drive like grandpa...cause the officer said, next ticket I get I will get a point in my driving record, which equals higher insurance.
I'm local (SJ), sorry to hear about that, but thanks for the warning.

Yes 80 is low end of normal out there on 280.

I've been lasered at indicated 80mph twice, which is probably closer to 78mph actual speed, but not pulled over.
Old 07-29-10, 03:55 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The S4 is a $43,000 car (invoice, not sticker).

The IS350 is is $34,000 car (invoice).

The fact they both run about 4.9 0-60 and low 13s in the 1/4 mile is a testament to how great a car the IS350 is for the money.

(ditto the 335i which is insanely more expensive than the IS350 if you option them similarly)

Optioned well, the S4 and the 335i both are closer to an IS-F in price than a 350, and the IS-F crushes both in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

(all of the above discussing the vehicles without modding them)
Well, performance numbers are not that close, really. This comparison by R&T has the S4 do a QM in 12.9... Also, the cornering is on different planets. Also, the sticker price starts at 45,000. I had the opportunity to buy one for about 5,000 under MSRP. It would have been 41,XXX OTD. I STILL chose the IS350. So, I am obviously not hating on the IS350- it was a better value. But I'm sorry, there truly was/is no flaw with the S4. It's nice that the 2IS's only flaw can be fixed with the F-Sport upgrade.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co..._page_3_page_3
Old 07-29-10, 04:53 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Originally Posted by carLx
Comparing invoices of the IS350 and S4 isn't even enough, because the S4 requires extra "options" payment for features that come stock with the IS350.

And, considering the absolute difference alone can still be deceptive. You always have to take into account the time value of money.

$10,000 saved now is $20,000 saved 10 years down the road, is $40,000 saved 20 years down the road, is $80,000 saved 30 years down the road, and so on. This is a very rough and generous calculation assuming an average 7% return on investment via the stock market.
Don't forget insurance costs. The IS350 is relatively cheap to insure compared to other performance cars. It seems whenever you have a turbo or V8 insurance sky rockets. My Legacy GT which should have been cheaper to insure on the grounds that it was slower and less expensive cost almost $1000/year more to insure. Most likely because of the turbo. It seems the insurance companies haven't figured out that V6 sedans can be fast.

I just looked at insuring a C5 Z06 and even though it would be only for pleasure with 5000 miles per year, it costs 2x the cost of the IS. Granted the Z06 is a handful but the IS isn't that much slower (ok yes it is but it's still plenty quick.) Not to mention the IS costs a lot more to repair if it gets into a crash.
Old 07-29-10, 11:28 PM
bobbo1978
Rookie

You have valid points but look at the people you are preaching to. These are the people who are willing to forgo reliability and quality for performance, like you said vette has cheap interior and BMW's N54 engine is plagued by fuel pump issue. Of course they are not going to respect is350. These are people who are willing to sacrifice convenience for incremental performance.

Is350 is akin to someone who isn't willing to go the extra mile to get an inch worth of improvement. He's going to be perceived as soft and compromising. But he may be more practical.

I came from a BMW and it took me a year to adjust to my is350. Currently in the process to improve suspension. There's nothing I can do about transmission. I wish it came with manual. Sports mode in automatic is the best thing there is. Using the paddle shifter frustrates me. I understand your point of view because my 135i had numerous quality problems.

Last edited by bobbo1978; 07-29-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 11:41 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

No one mention anything bout honda's so i guess i'll share my "hater" story. i have a friend who's a BIG honda fan, and everytime we talk about cars he always make fun of me for overpaying for a Toyota with a Lexus badge, and how when he could afford an S2000 he'll smoke me with it and make me fell stupid for over paying for a Toyota. But i always tell him that i welcome his challenge any day but till then my car is hands down faster then his honda civic hybrid, who have problem going above 70 on the highway.
Old 07-31-10, 09:52 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juice14
I think it has alot to do with the market in the USA. Here in the Caribeean people have as much respect for the IS350 if not more than the 3 series. and when it somes to the 335i there are probably 1 for every 10 IS350s.
Maybe the cultures here doesnt get impressed by name brasnds as much as in the US, and reliability and overall value of the car is alot more apreciated.
also the price of the 3-series is ridiculous for what it ofers. To me th only thing that has better thant the IS350 is handling and maybe steering feel (subjective)

PRICE of a brand new IS350: 60-65 GRAND (fully loaded)
PRICE of a brand new 335i: 80-85 GRAND (W/O options)
Not even close to true.

And to those who say the IS has more options than the 335i, what other options do they have that BMW does not offer?

BMW - Can use Navi/Browse through IPod while driving.
- much better Navi interface with new I-Drive

- Better IPOD interface
- Can download music to hard drive
- Fold down rear seats (very important for some)
- Manual transmission
- Offered in a coupe AND sedan
- Front and rear PDC vs Camera
- Real time traffic w/o XM fee
- More color choices
- More interior choices
- Much more configurable options wise. You do not have to buy a certain package to get a certain feature.

IS
- ventilated seats
- Backup camera

If you are into aftermarket items, the BMW is much cheaper as well. I have noticed this when shopping for our IS.
Old 07-31-10, 10:27 AM
HERBos
Lead Lap

who cares if others dont like the is...at least we all know wassup
Old 07-31-10, 05:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The 335 needs thousands in options to match the standard stuff on the 350

You're closer to an isf in price than a 350 once you option the BMW

And the isf will hand the 335 it's rear unless you mod it

And the BMW has reliability issues BEFORE you mod so no thanks
Old 07-31-10, 08:41 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
No one mention anything bout honda's so i guess i'll share my "hater" story. i have a friend who's a BIG honda fan, and everytime we talk about cars he always make fun of me for overpaying for a Toyota with a Lexus badge, and how when he could afford an S2000 he'll smoke me with it and make me fell stupid for over paying for a Toyota. But i always tell him that i welcome his challenge any day but till then my car is hands down faster then his honda civic hybrid, who have problem going above 70 on the highway.
Don't forget the Hondas with Acura badges.
Old 07-31-10, 10:31 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

A lot of people just love to hate certain brands even if they succeed at something. Basically people are brand *****s. Also, automatic transmissions are a no-no on car forums/amongst car enthusiasts. There is a lot of other stuff that comes into the equation, but seriously just ignore the haters and enjoy your ride.
Old 08-01-10, 01:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by texan629
and the lexus has reliability issues like broken valve spring and pedals that stick.
If you had bothering doing any research before posting you'd be aware the sticky pedals doesn't involve any Lexus cars

The springs do where the failure rate is like 0.2%... how's the failure rate on those 335 fuel pumps?
Old 08-01-10, 02:07 PM
Karlson
Driver

^1:1, its like a volcano, eventually they'll blow.

Quick Reply: Lack of respect for IS350