IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lack of respect for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 10:03 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haters gonna hate. they gotta lash out on somebody when their fuel pump goes into limp mode.

lexus draws a more mature crowd, so there's less of what jeremy clarkson calls the "*****". there's less of the ed hardy wearing crowd.
Old 07-28-10, 10:15 AM
Karlson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^OMG, I can't believe how many BMW owners where Ed Hardy clothes! Its pretty crazy.
Old 07-28-10, 10:18 AM
vipergts
Rookie

I understand that there are always haters and fanboys, but why no "real" haters for the 335i and so many for the Lexus? For instance on the Porsche and Corvette forums, the majority of people look down on the IS and highly regard the 335i when most KNOW how unreliable the latter is. Why are all car/auto magazines so supportive of the 335i? Why does no one focus on TRUE quality versus Name and Pedigree?
Old 07-28-10, 10:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

My personal opinion is that if the IS350 offered 6spd manual it would get more respect but again that's just me.
Old 07-28-10, 10:31 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

This whole argument of handling & driveability is crazy. I have owned a e46 m3 and right after that my is350. From the stand point of these two cars, i will be the first to attest that my IS is much more comfortable and refined then the bmw ever wishes it could have been. My car is lowered on eibachs and it rides as if it were factory height, smooth plush comforting feel. The M was a fantastic car as well, but the ride was harsher and I was always worried about a repair bill. Maybe i am just getting old, but the IS350 is hands down an OVER ALL much better package.

And for the other point of looks, my IS with Sf Winnings gets looks that the M never could pull off and my M was a mystic Blue that was mint with the smg wheels. The Lexus taps into a different interest group of people who could see themselves driving the car and are like, yeah, i could see myself driving that car. I recieve generally at least 4-5 people a week giving me a thumbs up or telling me that the car looks great. That is much more gratifying then going around a corner and looking like a parking lot racer.

Just my .2
Old 07-28-10, 10:34 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

1 other thing is that people tend to say lexus is just an upscale of toyota. they don't know about lexus but people who listen to those people saying that have like a moderator for their opinion even though that statement "lexus is just an upscale of toyota" is empty.

Or they say IS is just an upscale of Corolla.

1 other more convincing point is that Lexus is like an evolve of low-economic brand Toyota (speaking from their perspective.) and BMW is just pure-solid luxury brand from long history that has only been making luxury sport and never been in touch with low-economic projects like toyota. So from this logic, they all think that mistakes BMW & Mec made, like fuel pump, are just honest mistakes from the rich and the buyers who buy BMW & Mec are more proud of having those issue. the dumbs. speaking psychologically.
Old 07-28-10, 10:38 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by khoab88
So from this logic, they all think that mistakes BMW & Mec made, like fuel pump, are just honest mistakes from the rich and the buyers who buy BMW & Mec are more proud of having those issue. the dumbs. speaking psychologically.
Thumbs up to those people for being a non-educated consumer in life!!!
Old 07-28-10, 10:50 AM
kyle0k
Rookie

I have the new Corvette, and just bought the is350 as a second car... First off the C6 cannot be compared to the C5 in any way. My roommate a couple years ago had one and a c5's interior/performance/build quality is much worse, so you cant really compare those on the same level to the is350. The C5 is a very nice car, but it just has alot lacking in the creature comforts and the performance is outdated.
So I can tell you why you got hated on.

I believe the leather in my C6 is better quality than the is350, while the 350's dash is better than my cheaper feeling one. Looks and performance cannot even be compared. The c6 has a more powerful AC and hotter heated seats. The is350 has ventilated seats though that are nice. the is350 is rated way more "reliable", but on the other hand theres a big maintenance thing every 15k miles, while on the C6 I don't change anything basically till I get to 100k wen theres a big one. So thats just comparing to my corvette.

Overall though... Performance is neither here nor there. Its faster than cars 10 years ago, but slower then a next door neighbors SUV(any amg). Its a Lexus, which means its a glorified Toyota, even if there i no direct Toyota model to compare to, thats just the view people have.

At the end of the day though, I love having both my cars... Together they seem perfect
Old 07-28-10, 10:55 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fanboys will be fanboys until something makes them realize that not everyone functions just like them. If that were the case there would be one automanufacturer, one color of car, and it would only come in one package.
People choose cars for different reasons, whether it be that they want to fit in a certain crowd, or they want to go fast, or they choose something practical for their lifestyle.

And with pedigree, it can bring a good reputation to you, but times change. Pretty sure Paris Hilton isn't what the Hiltons used to be.

Me personally I'm looking at getting into an Audi S5 as my next car...a long long time from now hahaha
Old 07-28-10, 10:58 AM
Dexterr
Lead Lap

There will always be haters. You have to learn how to draw positive energy from them. Once you do, you will love them.

Anyway, I hope this will make you feel better. I know I couldn't stop smiling.

I was at Starbucks yesterday. Got my drink and sat outside to enjoy the nice weather. My car was parked no more than 20 feet from me.

Well, next to my car was a late model M5. Three college students (2 guys 1 girl) were walking by, and immediatly stop. I heard guy say, "That's NICE!" Then the girl said, "what car is that? It's really nice" I thought they were talking about the M5. The guy replied, "I think its the new IS-F Lexus." He took pictures with his phone camera.

What I learned from them: If people stop putting a price tag on a car, and just judge the car by the way it looks, you will win some people's heart.

Feel proud you own a Lexus!
Old 07-28-10, 11:06 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I think it stems from the fact that the IS300 wasnt really seen as a true competitor to the BMW, but then arrives the IS350 and as the saying goes:

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

You're in the ridicule stage...
Old 07-28-10, 11:10 AM
Synetix250
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
no matter what car you buy, there will always be someone that hates it. enjoy the car for yourself and dont worry what others think.
^couldn't have said it better myself..you can't please everyone.
Old 07-28-10, 11:31 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipergts
I understand that there are always haters and fanboys, but why no "real" haters for the 335i and so many for the Lexus? For instance on the Porsche and Corvette forums, the majority of people look down on the IS and highly regard the 335i when most KNOW how unreliable the latter is. Why are all car/auto magazines so supportive of the 335i? Why does no one focus on TRUE quality versus Name and Pedigree?
IMO i think there are so many haters for the toyota/lexus is because they revolve more around quality/comfort over speed/performance. Usually when a certain forum compares their cars to toyota/lexus its mainly based on speed/power/peformance, rather then overall value/quality. They dont really care about how unreliable their car is just knowing its faster/performs better they are satisfied.
Old 07-28-10, 12:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares what the flamers say or think.
Old 07-28-10, 01:09 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of guys on forums are pretty young so things like luxury and reliability are seen as qualities that only old people and sissys care about. To a lot of them if you can't chip a Lexus to have an extra 100hp for 20 bucks like on the BMW it's junk and you're a fool for buying jap crap.

Quick Reply: Lack of respect for IS350