Old 03-04-23, 10:03 AM
Rgianino
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 is250 no start, help

Hello,

I am having some issues with my is250.
it is a 2012 is250 rwd 115k miles.

On Sunday my fuel pump died and so I ordered a new one and got it replaced Thursday. I put some fuel additive and fresh 93. That night I drove three hours back home, everything worked fine, no issues at all.

Friday morning I drive the car to work and again no problem at all. Everything felt good. There was a humming noise which almost sounded like I had an exhaust and it would resonate with the rpm of the car. I thought it would something loose with the intake from before when I sprayed starter fluid to make sure if it was the pump. Now leaving work, the car cranks and won’t start. I tried a couple times, stepped on the accelerator and some posts online said the motor could flood. Nothing.

saturday I go back to work to try diagnosing a bit and to see if I can get it running. I sprayed starter fluid and it cranked right up. Left it running a bit incase it was just the fluid. Idled good, accessories all worked, radio etc. Ended up driving it home since it felt good and drove home no problem at all. The noise I mentioned before was still there but it almost sounded less than Friday morning. Still not sure what it is. I made it home and parked the car, turned it off, but when I went to turn it on again, no start. Did the accelerator trick and it kinda started, idled super low and when I took the foot off the pedal died. The issue continues.

I am not sure what it could be, I am thinking the fuel pressure sensor? I was thinking high pressure fuel pump but it doesn’t make sense why it would run so good up until I shut it off. Clogged fuel line? But then again, it ran good coming home. It’s a 25-30 minute drive home, varied speeds of 20-60mph. No issues. But I go to start it again and it doesn’t start. Any feedback is appreciated. Good thing is car is home and I don’t have to pay for a tow.

Last edited by Rgianino; 03-10-23 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-04-23, 04:01 PM
creed1026
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a pressure test on the fuel rail.
Old 03-04-23, 04:39 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

When you go to start it do you hear a hum coming from the high-pressure fuel pump? Pop the hood and have somebody else go ahead and try starting it. The pump makes quite a bit of noise so you will know if it is running.
Old 03-05-23, 04:07 AM
Rgianino
6th Gear

Update: I tried starting it last night and it started. Ran for a while and didn’t shut off, stepped on the gas a couple times, seemed to run fine. There is a strange noise I have never heard before, but I can only really hear it from inside the car. Was kinda loud at first, on lower rpm (under 3k) not sure if it has to do with this but it’s just weird.

I turned the car off after a while and went to crank it again. This time it was struggling to turn on, it did start but it was running really bad at this point. Lower rpm than usual, when put in drive it goes down go 600rpm. Left the car in park for a while and went to try again.

this time the car started but ran worse than ever, idled below 500rpm and threw this code: P0087 fuel system/rail pressure system too low. My teacher light came on as it had been turned off, and dies. This is the first time the car actually throws a code from all the issues I have had.

I will try to get a fuel pressure tester to try and pinpoint that the pump I got is good.

I also want to say I do hear the front pump working, it was definitely ticking when the car started. I will pay more attention to make sure.

I read online that if I disconnect the fuel pressure sensor the would be able to turn on but be in limp mode. Will be trying this today to try and get some direction until I can do a pressure test.

thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-23, 06:08 AM
creed1026
Rookie

It may be you were sold a defective pump. What brand did you buy? If you did job yourself and it was a easy job you could take pump out and exchange it for a new or even better quality one. I had a Jeep do same as you describe it was a bad fuel pump. I was getting pressure on rail but it was too low.
Old 03-05-23, 09:49 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

OP, did the in tank filter get replaced? Was there any chance the tank has either high amounts of sediment or water in it? I bring this up as either condition without being addressed would repeat until the tank is clean. Most of these pumps live 250k miles or more unless they get hit with a load of sediment during fuel up which can happen when stations are not properly maintained.

If the strainer was plugging from debris, *usually pulling a hill at RPM of 3500 to 4500 the engine would lean out from fuel starvation. Any chance you had it up there for any bursts more than a few seconds?

If you look at the ECU's Freeze Frame Data it could show that lean could happened under load which could support either a faulty pump or clogged strainer. PS FFD shows the engines conditions when the event triggered. Please take a look and report back before clearing the code.

The tank pump is low pressure electric that supplies the Hgh Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) mechanical camshaft pump driven by bank 1 intake cam.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 03-05-23 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-05-23, 02:57 PM
Rgianino
6th Gear

@creed1026
I did the pump myself so I am leaning towards getting a new one to be safe. it was a Carter fuel pump from rock auto. was the last one they had in stock, the other option is Delphi I believe.

@2013FSport
I replaced the whole fuel pump assembly to be safe. the bad fuel is something I don't think, I filled up in Miami before driving 3.5 hours, and then drove the next morning to work. I should also add that I put a fuel cleaner with the tank of gas

Update:
I went out to start the car with the fuel pressure sensor disconnected and I was not able to get to it. I tried starting the car either way and it started right up. the noise I keep mentioning was present, but it eventually went away and the car was running how it should.
I connected a scanner tool I have and was able to read the fuel rail pressure with this. At idle, the pressure was at 600psi, small fluctuations but it was up there. when I gave it gas it would increase as much as 2000psi. I was letting the car run, and just monitoring the data. the car eventually started acting up, fuel pressure was now in single digits and the car was struggling to stay on until it eventually died.

I am leaning towards having a bad pump, although it let me drive 3.5 hours home, and to work, maybe it just went bad? I'm not sure.
I think my next approach is going to be to replace the fuel pump just to be safe and I am also thinking of getting a factory Toyota fuel pressure sensor for peace of mind for 140.

Let me know what you guys think, the scenario is definitely strange considering the fact I drove a significant amount of time, drove to work the next day and then to go home car wouldn't start. then started with starter fluid, drove home, then problems again. starts up fine today and then problems again.

Old 03-05-23, 04:44 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

I believe AISIN is an OEM brand Lexus uses

Last edited by primavera; 03-05-23 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-05-23, 05:41 PM
creed1026
Rookie

My Jeep would run just fine for days, weeks and hours at a time but would always stall, hesitate and not start. Friend suggested checking pressure on the rail with his gauges and pressure was too low. I can’t remember if I put a Bosch or Delphi pump but after new pump was installed it never gave me a problem.

Few months ago I bought a starter from Napa for my truck. First one wouldn’t even start truck. Totally defective. Next one failed 2 days later. Had my old one rebuilt and it has never given any problem since. I’m wondering if these parts produced these days are low quality crap.
Old 03-08-23, 01:51 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

So you replaced the fuel pump, and complete assembly with dealer parts?

Did you make sure everything snapped in place including O-rings.? Perhaps you missed putting one back in?

I did half a** write up years ago.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...el-filter.html

Last edited by MikeFig82; 03-08-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-10-23, 05:53 PM
Rgianino
6th Gear

Update:

i got a new pump but when I went to put in I didn’t notice the one that came in is a denso Toyota unit. I decided to wait to install the new fuel pressure sensor. I got everything in today, cleaned up the intakes and some of the ports to what I could reach and put some new spark plugs. Bolted everything up and the car ran good. I waited to see and it was quiet a while that the fuel pressure was stable. I turned it off after 15 minutes or so and it had trouble starting. Went for second time and it started with 200rpm very sluggish until it finally shot up in rpm and idled okay. Kept waiting and the pressure was good so I went on a drive around the block. Everything ran good, consistent. Made it home just fine. when I parked the pressure started to shoot around and dip until it died entirely. Tried starting again and it same as before. Left it at that.

I’m leaning towards just replacing with the new pump that came in.

could there be anything else causing a sudden drop in pressure? Is it possible to be the high pressure pump? I’m waiting on the low pressure pump since it has Toyota and denso on it.

i read a post that someone installed an intake and they messed up the wiring, so I’m just going to remove the box and make sure everything there is snug and how it should be since when I sprayed started fluid I was kinda quick in moving things.

Very confused about the situation. Let me know what you guys think