IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problem with Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 10:25 AM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like I'm getting rid of the car. No clue what's wrong with it. I'm picking up a potential new vehicle this afternoon. What a disappointment.
Old 07-17-10, 10:44 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you brought the car to the dealership to have them remedy? Isn't powertrain 70k miles or 72 months?

Maybe try Sewell Lexus Service.
Old 07-18-10, 09:27 PM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDKane527
Have you brought the car to the dealership to have them remedy? Isn't powertrain 70k miles or 72 months?

Maybe try Sewell Lexus Service.
My car is still at the dealer. It's been in service since July 9th. I've been dealing directly with the service manager who has been great but we're just not finding the answers as to what's wrong with the car. The dealership is working with me to get me out of the car but I still haven't heard from Lexus corporate what they want to do. Hopefully I'll hear something this week.
Old 07-19-10, 06:16 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Crystal, I'd recommend that you become familiar with Texas' Lemon Law.
Old 07-19-10, 07:12 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wondering if this has anything to do with the latest recall for valve springs.

http://www.lexus.com/recall/#hs3RecallSection

Lexus announced that it has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of its intention to file a Defect Information Report (DIR) regarding approximately 138,000 Lexus vehicles, powered by 4.6 and 5.0 liter V8 and 3.5 liter V6 engines in certain 2006, 2007 and 2008 GS, IS and LS models in the U.S. The formal report will be filed the week of July 5.

In the covered vehicles, due to slight variations during the manufacturing process, some foreign material may have contaminated a small number of the valve springs. If a vehicle is affected, there is a remote possibility that abnormal engine noise or idling may occur. In extremely rare instances, the engine may stop while the vehicle is in operation.

Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %). Lexus has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. No vehicles from the current 2010 model year nor 2009 are affected.

Lexus will send owners of the involved vehicles a recall notification via first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair after receiving their notification. The repair will involve replacement of the engine's valve springs at no charge.

Owners can continue to drive their vehicles. If symptoms are noticed, such as vibration, rough idling, unusual engine sounds or poor performance, the vehicle should be brought to a Lexus dealer for service.

Certain Lexus vehicles produced among the following models and years are covered:
Model
Model Year

GS 350
2007 2008

GS 450h
2007 2008

GS 460

IS 350
2006 2007 2008

LS 460
2007 2008

LS 460 L
2007 2008

LS 600h L

Customers with questions or concerns should contact the Customer Experience Center at
1-800-255-3987.

Crystal, maybe it would be worth a try to call the number with your VIN and see if your car is part of this. Please keep us updated. Good luck.

Last edited by Micaiah; 07-19-10 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 07:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Crystal has a 250. Which is not part of that recall.
Old 07-19-10, 07:27 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoops. I'm sorry. *embarrassed*
Old 07-19-10, 09:32 AM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CWS
Crystal, I'd recommend that you become familiar with Texas' Lemon Law.
I've already looked into Lemon Law. Sadly, my situation doesn't qualify. I purchased the vehicle used with 3300 miles on it. It was previously a Lexus company vehicle. Also the first time the problem was acknowledged was just over 12k miles. The cutoff is at 12k miles.
Old 07-19-10, 09:35 AM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Wondering if this has anything to do with the latest recall for valve springs.

http://www.lexus.com/recall/#hs3RecallSection

Lexus announced that it has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of its intention to file a Defect Information Report (DIR) regarding approximately 138,000 Lexus vehicles, powered by 4.6 and 5.0 liter V8 and 3.5 liter V6 engines in certain 2006, 2007 and 2008 GS, IS and LS models in the U.S. The formal report will be filed the week of July 5.

In the covered vehicles, due to slight variations during the manufacturing process, some foreign material may have contaminated a small number of the valve springs. If a vehicle is affected, there is a remote possibility that abnormal engine noise or idling may occur. In extremely rare instances, the engine may stop while the vehicle is in operation.

Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %). Lexus has received no reports of accidents or injuries related to this condition. No vehicles from the current 2010 model year nor 2009 are affected.

Lexus will send owners of the involved vehicles a recall notification via first class mail. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair after receiving their notification. The repair will involve replacement of the engine's valve springs at no charge.

Owners can continue to drive their vehicles. If symptoms are noticed, such as vibration, rough idling, unusual engine sounds or poor performance, the vehicle should be brought to a Lexus dealer for service.

Certain Lexus vehicles produced among the following models and years are covered:
Model
Model Year

GS 350
2007 2008

GS 450h
2007 2008

GS 460

IS 350
2006 2007 2008

LS 460
2007 2008

LS 460 L
2007 2008

LS 600h L

Customers with questions or concerns should contact the Customer Experience Center at
1-800-255-3987.

Crystal, maybe it would be worth a try to call the number with your VIN and see if your car is part of this. Please keep us updated. Good luck.

This valve spring recall has also been performed on my car even with it being a 250. But this isn't the answer either. Looks like my car is headed to the auction block.
Old 10-01-10, 08:26 PM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

So after 3 months, Lexus purchased my vehicle back. The diagnosis was inconclusive but they feel it was a problem with carbon. My car is now a research car, hopefully they can get a handle on the design problem causing this issue.

Now to find a new car!
Old 10-02-10, 05:19 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crystal
Fortunately the computer is recording the misfires. It just doesnt always record which cylinder. Most times its just recorded as a random misfire. This time it actually recorded which cylinder it was. I think we're all just baffled at this point. No one has a clue.
r u kidding? The computer doesn't know which cylinder misfired?
What computers does the lexus use? From the flintones era? Shame on them.

My 2003 (other brand car non lexus/toyota) recorded misfires with the cylinders every time. The resolution was either Spark plugs or ignition coils. There is no more "mystery" to misfires, especially on a engine with so low miles.
Old 10-02-10, 05:23 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Crystal
My car is still at the dealer. It's been in service since July 9th. I've been dealing directly with the service manager who has been great but we're just not finding the answers as to what's wrong with the car. The dealership is working with me to get me out of the car but I still haven't heard from Lexus corporate what they want to do. Hopefully I'll hear something this week.
Can you tell me which dealership are you working with, if that is not such a problem? Looks like they are doing a good job for you.
Old 10-02-10, 06:00 AM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Can you tell me which dealership are you working with, if that is not such a problem? Looks like they are doing a good job for you.
I worked with Lexus of Austin. Gary the Service manager was phenomenal in assisting to get it resolved.
Old 10-02-10, 06:02 AM
Crystal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
r u kidding? The computer doesn't know which cylinder misfired?
What computers does the lexus use? From the flintones era? Shame on them.

My 2003 (other brand car non lexus/toyota) recorded misfires with the cylinders every time. The resolution was either Spark plugs or ignition coils. There is no more "mystery" to misfires, especially on a engine with so low miles.
The car would always record random misfires. This last time it did show a misfire on cylinder 6. But there was no explainable reason for any of it.
Old 10-02-10, 06:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Thanks. But Austin is a bit far from DFW so I would not be able to avail of their services.
Good to know that Lexus is buying the car back.

So what do you drive now?

Quick Reply: Problem with Misfiring