IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Spoiler on Lexus IS250

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 02:31 PM
JPZEE83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler on Lexus IS250

So I am a new owner of a 2007 IS250. The color looks silver but I believe Lexus calls the color Tungstan Silver Pearl. I am looking for the rear lip spoiler to add on to my ride. Anyone know where I can get one for a good price that I won't need to paint.. Any advice would be awesome!

Is this spoiler easy to install or should I get a professional to install it?
Old 07-07-10, 02:35 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trunk spoiler is fairly easy. Just need a drill, small tap, hammer or brick whatever you like use lol and the spoiler will come with 3M tape. Now that's for the factory. I'm pretty sure some of the other aftermarket are 3M tape only, so that would be even easier. Here's a site for standard OEM replacement stuff and they give CL discounts. Just have to register an account with them. I'm sure others will chime in soon with other places. You can order for your color when going with OEM styles, aftermarket will require you to get it painted.

http://is.sewellparts.com/index.php
Old 07-07-10, 02:35 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Argh! you beat me to it.

you can check the vendor section for all your needs, unless they dont have what your looking for.

I believe that the spoiler is installed with 3m tape. you should be able to do it yourself. GL with the find, congrats and welcome to CL

Last edited by fknISC808; 07-07-10 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Lexy250 beat me to it!
Old 07-07-10, 02:38 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

lol sorry fknISC
Old 07-07-10, 03:55 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Install with 3M tape, no drilling require.

Last edited by Initial_K; 07-07-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 04:20 PM
vangis350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Install with 3M tape, no drilling require.
What he said
Old 07-07-10, 05:05 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

What's the easiest way to get the spoiler off; to re-tape it?

The very edges of my spoiler are starting to lift but the middle of the spoiler is holding like a rock. I don't want to just grab one of the edges and rip it off...
Old 07-07-10, 05:11 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
What's the easiest way to get the spoiler off; to re-tape it?

The very edges of my spoiler are starting to lift but the middle of the spoiler is holding like a rock. I don't want to just grab one of the edges and rip it off...
Did you install the spoiler yourself?
It's kind of difficult to remove it from the car. But if you want I have used dental floss.
to remove the original adhesive, you will need an adhesive eraser, it's quite messy.

The 2 corners can lift off slightly, when I looked at some factory installed ones they lift a little.
Old 07-07-10, 05:20 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Did you install the spoiler yourself?
It's kind of difficult to remove it from the car. But if you want I have used dental floss.
to remove the original adhesive, you will need an adhesive eraser, it's quite messy.

The 2 corners can lift off slightly, when I looked at some factory installed ones they lift a little.
I bought the vehicle used and the spoiler was already on there. But, I am willing to bet it was installed on the car from the factory - seeing that the car was a corporate vehicle before I got it.

I can tell the edges of the spoiler were taped, but I haven't yet pulled out the trunk-liner to see if there are also screws.

So dental floss is probably the easiest way to get the spoiler off the car, and then use adhesive remover to get the gunk off the car before I re-tape it?
Old 07-07-10, 05:26 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
So dental floss is probably the easiest way to get the spoiler off the car, and then use adhesive remover to get the gunk off the car before I re-tape it?

That sounds right. It is how high school kids steal the badges off Hondas/ Acuras to use as bag ornaments. Just slice off the adhesive with dental floss. Then clean off the residue with adhesive remover. Make sure surface area is clean before sticking 3m back on.
Old 07-07-10, 05:50 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

If it was factory installed it would have 3 screws.

I am talking about, the spoiler will come off your car quite cleanly I think.
but, to remove the original strip of adhesive from the spoiler is quite difficult and time consuming. Then you order new 3M tape to redo those strips.

To remove that strip of adhesive, I used one of these, the eraser part but on a drill, you can get it at a DIY finishing body shop type place..

http://www.amazon.com/Eraser-Amber-E.../dp/B0002UL0UC

If it is not lifting too much I recommend leaving it alone. You may damage the spoiler finish with all the handling. My lifts just about 1 mill and for a 1/4 inch.. in length only, pretty much only I know it will wiggle a bit.. This lifting has to do with how the spolier was positioned when it was first taped down. There is no guarantee you get it right unless you use somekind of windex technique which I havn't tried. (I'm not a fan of trapping windex under something)

Last edited by SC3coupe; 07-07-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 06:10 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
If it was factory installed it would have 3 screws.

I am talking about, the spoiler will come off your car quite cleanly I think.
but, to remove the original strip of adhesive from the spoiler is quite difficult and time consuming. Then you order new 3M tape to redo those strips.

To remove that strip of adhesive, I used one of these, the eraser part but on a drill, you can get it at a DIY finishing body shop type place..

http://www.amazon.com/Eraser-Amber-E.../dp/B0002UL0UC

If it is not lifting too much I recommend leaving it alone. You may damage the spoiler finish with all the handling. My lifts just about 1 mill and for a 1/4 inch.. in length only, pretty much only I know it will wiggle a bit.. This lifting has to do with how the spolier was positioned when it was first taped down. There is no guarantee you get it right unless you use somekind of windex technique which I havn't tried. (I'm not a fan of trapping windex under something)
Yes, I am aware of the screws; I just haven't pulled the trunk liner to see if they are there or not. The screws indicate if it was installed from the factory or not, correct?

It is starting to lift quite a bit, but it isn't awful (me just knowing it is there makes me want to fix it though).

Are there any other techniques other than dental floss that people have tried? I am hesitant just because I don't want to screw it up getting it off and not being able to put it back on better than it is now..

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-07-10, 07:03 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

I installed by drilling 3 holes. I maybe minority though
Old 07-07-10, 09:58 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

just use 3m tape. mines is mounted with the 3m only.
Old 08-02-10, 07:08 PM
JPZEE83
Driver School Candidate

i just purchased it off sewell. Does it come with the 3m tape?

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler on Lexus IS250