IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iPod shuffle - anyone using it with their IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 03:36 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iPod shuffle - anyone using it with their IS?

I had originally decided that an AUX jack was a must have in my next car. I've had my car less than a week and I'm wondering now if I will ever use the AUX or iPod jack, because I was thrilled to learn I can simply play MP3 data CDs. With a 6 disc changer that means plenty of music at the ready not including all the XM radio content.

However, with the low cost of the Shuffle, I was thinking about giving it a try as an extra music mechanism that I can load up with tunes without the need to burn a CD.

Will the Shuffle work? (i.e is it just like any other iPod for purposes of this car)? Even if it does work, is there a reason I wouldn't want to use it and should spend more on one with a screen?

Thanks
Old 07-04-10, 03:53 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just burn cds.... unless u already own a shuffle and there's a song on it that u really want to hear ... but u can't change songs from ur steering wheel .. u gotta change it from the shuffle..

i only use the AUX to hook up to my iphone for songs and to pick up calls so it comes through my car speakers

Last edited by panda327; 07-04-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 04:16 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the aux cable should work..... if you really want to, you can get a vaistech ipod integration kit or a dice integration kit
Old 07-04-10, 04:36 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by panda327
just burn cds.... unless u already own a shuffle and there's a song on it that u really want to hear ... but u can't change songs from ur steering wheel .. u gotta change it from the shuffle..

i only use the AUX to hook up to my iphone for songs and to pick up calls so it comes through my car speakers
Ah, well if I can't control the iPod from the stereo, there's no motive to bother I guess, I thought that's what the USB port was for. Occasionally I may use the Aux jack for my XMP3i (satellite portable) just for recorded shows, but I suspect that will be rare and I will stick with CDs. There was a time when I would have been thrilled to have a six disc changer that would play regular audio CDs with a dozen or so songs on each one, so having 6 discs which can each have hundreds of songs should give me enough tunes to last a while

I didn't quite understand what you meant about receiving calls through your speakers, I thought bluetooth is standard on the base model?
Old 07-04-10, 04:41 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joeker
the aux cable should work..... if you really want to, you can get a vaistech ipod integration kit or a dice integration kit
I mentioned the AUX cable (which I have tried with my XMP3i portable and it works great, though navigation is on the portable of course), but I really should have focused my post around the USB port there. I thought that was for iPod integration with the stereo controls?

Thanks for the tip on Vaistech, I did look at their website, although I don't want to make any elaborate modifications like that. I did look at their Install Guide and it mentions the different supported iPods, no mention of Shuffle there.

Originally I was wondering if I could just buy an inexpensive shuffle and instantly have a few more gigs worth of MP3s navigatable through the stereo, but it seems wishful thinking. It's all good though, I'm happy with the disc changer.
Old 07-04-10, 05:04 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MBTC
Ah, well if I can't control the iPod from the stereo, there's no motive to bother I guess, I thought that's what the USB port was for. Occasionally I may use the Aux jack for my XMP3i (satellite portable) just for recorded shows, but I suspect that will be rare and I will stick with CDs. There was a time when I would have been thrilled to have a six disc changer that would play regular audio CDs with a dozen or so songs on each one, so having 6 discs which can each have hundreds of songs should give me enough tunes to last a while

I didn't quite understand what you meant about receiving calls through your speakers, I thought bluetooth is standard on the base model?
for 2010 IS bluetooth is standard... anything before that .. bluetooth only comes in the navigation package .. so 2010 owners are very lucky :P even tho i think it should've been done long time ago

i found out recently when i plug the 3.5mm jack in to the headphone jack in the iphone .. the sound comes out but the mic remains functional on the iphone .. so i use that as hands free... there is no feedback too .. the noise cancellation on the iphone is pretty good .. people say it sounds like i'm holding the phone to talk to them
Old 07-04-10, 05:19 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Do you also have a USB port right next to your AUX port? After what you said about Bluetooth I'm wondering if there might be slight design changes from year to year (or depending on options) where we may not be on the same page completely. I have standard (not ML) stereo, with no nav.

I'm confused at this point because when I look at the operating manual, it shows me that I can control the iPod through the stereo and there are different menu modes. It is a bit vague on connecting the iPod but leads the reader to believe there's no more to it than plugging into the USB.

Another possibility I overlooked -- the stereo also has Bluetooth Audio, which I thought just referred to the phone integration but looking at it separately it seems like it might be a separate option for wireless integration with an MP3 player that supports it (iPods don't but there are others that do). Or am I wrong and the BT-A option is really just the same as the phone? The salesman paired my phone for me so I have not dinked around with the BT yet.
Old 07-04-10, 05:46 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

no usb port for me
there has been some changes along the years
your year has usb port, bt, and that radar crusie control thing all standard
i dunno if you can just plug ur ipod in to the usb to control the ipod but i dun think the shuffle has a 30pin jack for you to do that anyways

i think the phone integration thing is when you have the navigation you can upload your phone book on to the system? .. i'm not sure
but those sounds like the same as BT