IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 03:43 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm thinking about skipping the recall also... At least waiting to hear more about it. I only have about 23,000 miles though. Just received the letter this past week.
Old 11-14-10, 08:12 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MDOTM
The only thing is I live 1 1/2 hours from Lexus of Orlando my nearest Lexi dealer:/, I got my letter when you call do they tell you drop it off for 3 days??
Yeah when i dropped it off they said 3-4day max. But that all depends how busy your dealership is on that note.
Old 11-15-10, 11:15 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
hmmm this sounds like a very involved fix.. once they rip it all apart stuff like this I don't think the reliability will ever be the same.. wonder if I should just skip this recall....
If you are one of the few that have defective valve springs & you don't have them replaced Lexus may not cover it later.
Old 11-16-10, 07:00 PM
caudlek
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caudlek
I just had mine done 8 days ago .... been experiencing erratic rpm's (cycles up and down from 1000-1500rpm for 30 seconds on a cold start) and more vibration at idle as well. Go's back to the dealer Tuesday....My first thought was that an oxygen or air flow sensor was left unplugged .... but maybe the bozo's have been careless with the rebuild and/or missed a step.
Turns out a vacuum hose was left loose or unconnected ..... i was having the car in for new rear snows anyway (thanks to that $250 Lexus credit) so it wasn't really an inconvenience.

We'll see how my first cold start goes in the morning, tomorrow.

KC
Old 11-17-10, 09:18 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dropped mine off at the dealer. This particular dealer does NOT take appointments. I even called before hand trying to work that out. Anyway, I get there and he tells me is a 10 day wait, but I can have a loaner. Then he proceeds to tell me I have to pay $5/day for the loaner. Wouldn't be a big deal if it was a 3 day job, but $50?!

Oh, and the kicker... if they have my car over my Thanksgiving holiday I can't go home to Jersey b/c the loaner is only insured in the tri-state DC area... which means now I have to RENT a car?

Give me an f'ing break. This is the THIRD unhappy Lexus service experience I've had in 2 years.
Old 11-17-10, 10:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vdubturbo
Just dropped mine off at the dealer. This particular dealer does NOT take appointments. I even called before hand trying to work that out. Anyway, I get there and he tells me is a 10 day wait, but I can have a loaner. Then he proceeds to tell me I have to pay $5/day for the loaner. Wouldn't be a big deal if it was a 3 day job, but $50?!

Oh, and the kicker... if they have my car over my Thanksgiving holiday I can't go home to Jersey b/c the loaner is only insured in the tri-state DC area... which means now I have to RENT a car?

Give me an f'ing break. This is the THIRD unhappy Lexus service experience I've had in 2 years.

Pretty sure the dealer is required to provide a free loaner for any service that will exceed 8 hours.

I'd call Lexus corporate if I were you... especially with it being part of a recall.
Old 11-17-10, 12:11 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

I may very well do that. I was trying to be patient and reasonable, but this could prove to be expensive if I have to rent a car for the holidays on top of the $50 ridiculousness of the loaner.
Old 11-17-10, 05:14 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

I just dropped my car to the dealership a couple of days ago to get the valve spring done. Will let u guys know what happens. My fingers are triple crossed. Hope everything goes well and I won't notice any difference.
Old 11-17-10, 07:31 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Pretty sure the dealer is required to provide a free loaner for any service that will exceed 8 hours.
At Johnson/Raleigh, they told me if it exceeds 2 hours, meaning pretty much everything beyond standard oil change intervals.
Old 11-18-10, 12:29 PM
onilink
Rookie

I just called my dealer and they said they have no dates available until January 6th... does that seem a little way to far ??
Old 11-18-10, 12:44 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That's about how long I had to wait.
Old 11-18-10, 01:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
At Johnson/Raleigh, they told me if it exceeds 2 hours, meaning pretty much everything beyond standard oil change intervals.
That's an extra-mile perk that Johnson offers... (just like how they arranged to offer free valet parking at most of the local malls if you're in a Lexus).

The 8 hour/overnight policy is the "offical" one from Lexus that is the minimum a dealer must do for you. They're always free to do more to try and earn your business.
Old 11-18-10, 01:36 PM
typhoon44
Rookie

vdubturbo which dealership do you use? I'm in NOVA and Lindsay will have it done in two days with a free loaner.
Old 11-18-10, 01:47 PM
albis350
Driver

Default Valve Spring Recall done in S.Florida..

Got my recall done at lexus of west kendal took em exactly one week i did all 3 the accelerator pedal, valve spring and the newest recall the one for the brakes, the service advisor said my car was the first one to the the brakes done @ that dealership. Until now the car is running perfect. And hope stays like that
Old 11-19-10, 05:23 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by typhoon44
vdubturbo which dealership do you use? I'm in NOVA and Lindsay will have it done in two days with a free loaner.
Pohanka. Whom I hate extensively but is MUCH closer to me than Lindsay, especially with all the Tyson's Corner construction going on.

I may call them for status and let them know that if they can't get it done that I'll be picking up the car and taking it to Lindsay. I'm so absolutely sick of Pohanka Lexus. They've treated me like an *** since day one.

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)