IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 06:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, never heard of that one. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-01-10, 12:36 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us posted, I just had a friend who's engine had to be rebuilt at 135k because of damaged valves. It was an IS350 as well.

Note: I know many of you are a bit skeptic about there being any issues popping up all of a sudden, but we have a fair amount of drivers that are now approaching 100k. Maybe not on this forum but outside of the web there are IS owners who might be having problems we're not aware of, such as my friend. It's not something for anyone to over react on but we have to consider all possibilities, one being faulty design.

Last edited by XhyDra; 09-01-10 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 07:50 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah a .02 chance, and I have not received a letter yet. I should be good to go
Old 09-01-10, 11:11 AM
aira
Pole Position

nicchules, is your car still in warranty?
Old 09-01-10, 11:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aira
nicchules, is your car still in warranty?
Based on their post, which states:

Originally Posted by niccuhles
****ty part is that I am no longer covered under factory warranty considering my car has 100k on it.
I'm gonna go with "no"
Old 09-01-10, 11:58 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Yes, a whole 2 or 3 people out of the thousands of users on here have reported them! Everybody panic!
True, but Toyota/Lexus should be building or buying parts that meet six sigma requirements which means 3.4 defects per 1 million. One or two in a couple thousand is actually a really high failure rate.

Anyway, I'm taking in the car next week to get the VVTi valve fixed (rattle/knock noise on cold startup). Wonder if they will take of this as well or wait...
Old 09-01-10, 01:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Madsci625
True, but Toyota/Lexus should be building or buying parts that meet six sigma requirements which means 3.4 defects per 1 million. One or two in a couple thousand is actually a really high failure rate.

Anyway, I'm taking in the car next week to get the VVTi valve fixed (rattle/knock noise on cold startup). Wonder if they will take of this as well or wait...
The rate of failure stated by Toyota is 0.2%

That's 2 people per thousand.

That IS higher than six sigma.

Which is, ya know, why there's a recall.

But it's still hardly a sky-is-falling situation.
Old 09-02-10, 10:01 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

random question, but does anyone know if the dealership has to take off the front bumper to do this recall? or do they just work from the top of the engine downward?

im asking this because i have a front lip on my car that hinders taking off the front bumper, and i do not trust the dealership taking their time to take off my front bumper without damaging my lip.
Old 09-02-10, 01:54 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMF350
In case people are wondering, I just checked the lexus/owners website and the recall is now good to go. I think...

This is what I see:
2006 LEXUS IS350
Safety Recall ALE - Certain Lexus GS 350, GS 450h, GS 460, IS 350, LS 460, LS 460 L, and LS 600h L Vehicles - Valve Spring

This is an important Safety Recall. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer and schedule an appointment to replace the valve springs with the newly designed ones as soon as possible.

What is the Condition? During the manufacturing process the valve springs on certain Lexus vehicles were contaminated with a foreign material. As a result, the strength of the spring might be compromised. Over time, there is a potential for the valve spring to develop a crack and eventually break. A broken valve spring may result in abnormal engine noise, vibration, and/or power reduction. In the worst case, the engine may stall or not accelerate as quickly as anticipated, which could result in a crash.
----

I'll be calling my service adviser to ask about the status and whether or not we could start bringing the cars in.
I also got that message on the website, so I called today. They said the parts will be in shortly and then they send the letter out.
Old 09-02-10, 11:53 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

I just received the letter in the mail 2 days ago. I read this entire thread and heard what everyone had to say about the recall. I guess I have no problem letting them replacing the valves if its going to fix/prevent anything future problems. But my concern is the quality of the work that will be done by whichever anonymous junior technician that happens to be working at my nearest dealership. What guarantee do I really have to ensure that the procedure will be done correctly? What if the dealership decides to cheap out on the other parts that need to be replaced like the gaskets, but don't replace it? What if they have to uninstall the head? That is a major operation that needs to be delicately handle by a master technician that knows this engine inside and out. What if after they replace the valve springs, other problem start happening, or performance is worse? I've always had this fear that technicians might loose a screw or two when taking engines apart, or when they screw it back together, some go back in too tight or too loose.

Its a tough decision for me because if I don't do the recall, one day the valve springs actually might go on me. If I do, I'm worried about the quality of work.

I better let some other IS owners go first and see what they have to say before I bring my car in.

Anyone have similar thoughts?
Old 09-03-10, 12:19 AM
Raralith
Intermediate

Ah crap, I signed up, and I see the valve recall too. It takes 26 hours of work on this, is this still right?
Old 09-03-10, 04:37 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I've searched CL for "valve spring recall" and came up with everything on the IS, GS and LS models.

It is true that there as been a manufacturing defect on these valve springs and Lexus intends on taking care of all the vehicles affected. So far the Campaign has been released for the GS350/450h and IS350 models. The 4.6L V8 motor in the LS and GS are still in process of being reviewed and the campaign should be released sometime in the near future.

The 2UR-GSE in the IS-F isn't affected since the cylinder heads are done by Yamaha (I believe).

The worst thing anyone could ever do at this moment is overwhelm the service department with your vehicle. Unlike the fuel rail campaign (that was introduced in '09), this campaign is a whole lot more involved. Anyone who has done valve work would prefer to have the cylinder head off the engine block. On all the UR and GR series engines, cylinder head removal requires removal of the engine. On these models that means dropping the engine, transmission, front suspension and crossmember from under the vehicle.

Lexus has decided on another approach of having the valve springs serviced. It involves he usage of their special service tools and servicing the valvetrain without removal of the engine with the heads on the engine block. Ask any experienced automotive technician and they ould agree with me on calling it as close to brain surgery as you could get to your engine.

The work is extremely tedious and intricate with an exceptionally large margin for error for irreversible damage if anything goes wrong. It involves removal of the intake system and plenum, valve covers and all 4 camshafts.

The work takes a technician well over half a day to get done and in the end we're left with sore hands and aching backs. I've just finished 2 ALE campaigns and I'm looking forward to the weekend to sleepin.

Even heavy line technicians are not comfortable performing this campaign. Most of us are still trying to get a rythm down to become proficent and comfortable performing this campaign.

My own IS350 falls in this campaign. It is an early production '08 with a little over 30k on the ODO. I've now driven the vehicle at 4 different HPDE events and haven't had any issues with anything. Needless to say, I plan on having the ALE campaign completed on my own IS350 eventually. I'm not that concerned about having it done in the near future. If the valve spring would have broken, it would have done so by now. The engine has seen its share 6K+ at the HPDE events at speeds of over 140mph.

All of the dealer associates are all human. We appreciate the business that comes in with open arms. It is our best interest to take care of the everyone's concerns but we can only go ar far as we are capable of. As any business, overwhelming increases the margin of error. In this particular campaign, no one will benefit from this as the error margin will be very costly. Its to your best interest to remain calm and patient and I can gaurantee that Lexus and your dealer will take care of you. My recommendation is to await till you recieve a letter from Lexus regarding the campaign and then call your dealership service department to get your vehicle serviced. If you have a drivability issue then I would rcommend having your vehicle looked as soon as your dealer can get it scheduled in.

If you have any concerns beyond what I've posted please contact your dealer or search Lexus.com regarding your concerns. Unfortunately, I have limited time since I work ~60 hrs a week and have a expectant wife and a 2 year old kid who loves to tear up the house. PMs and emails will take me a while to return.

MODS, make this a sticky if necessary and share the post with other sub-forums.

TIA

-Joe
Old 09-03-10, 01:19 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

I called Longo Lexus an hour ago, they have started replacing valve springs, and my car's VIN was a part of the batch. Esimated time of work is 2 days, and I have it scheduled to drop off next, next Monday for Wednesday pickup. I was told that the valve replacement itself takes most of the day so I have no clue what they are doing the second day, testing I guess.
Old 09-03-10, 07:00 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got the notice and booked an appointment for the valve spring recall for later this month.
Old 09-03-10, 08:59 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

in the shop for recall..

Quick Reply: 7/1/2010 Engine stalling valve spring replacement recall (merged threads)