IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Purchased used IS350 last year - found out it was wrecked!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 02:54 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greg0723
yes of course but the reason i said go CPO is because of the warranty. he doesnt have one. CPO warranty seems better than the factory warranty. and you can get a cpo car with no accidents so it can be 2 thumbs up
CPO does not mean perfect car. I've seen CPO Lexus cars that had accident reported.

CPO you're just paying 2-3k more for a 'just in case' something happens.
Old 06-29-10, 08:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

BMW got whacked for selling repaired cars as new. Class action lawsuit. New cars with body repairs from shipping damage. You can't even trust manufacturers.
Old 06-29-10, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think you did pretty good with how the dealer fixed his mistake. It's very rare getting a money payment from them, let alone all the other perks. I'd be content and call it a day.
Old 06-30-10, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, glad for the compromise outcome, dealer stepped up.
Old 06-30-10, 09:47 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottina08
my wifes 08 with 30k miles still has all those stickers and such with similar markings. She also had similar tire wear at 18K miles on the stock bridgstones. The local lexus dealer told me it was normal on the IS platform. I put Goodyear GT2's on it and had it aligned and no problems since. We bought thee car with 7 miles by the way. Also...I had a 3000GT that a carfax listed as unibody damage in one accident and it ended up being the sunroof panel.....it was repainted...thats it. Carfax sux imo
On carfax, my car showed that it was involved in a natural disaster. It was only hail damage! LOL

It's been fixed of course.
Old 09-14-10, 04:37 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha ha

I like how the op handled his case.

Thumbs up.
Old 09-14-10, 05:01 AM
speeds27
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't always trust a carfax or autocheck. I've used both and alot of times i've come across cars who've had body work that was done that wasn't reported. It might of been minor, or big, not too many ways to tell except to rip out all the panels and check the back, or measure the paint.

One thing i've invested in was a fendersplendor, dealers usually have them too, it measures how thick the paint is on the car down to 10ths of a mil. If the car has been repainted, there's no way they can match the factory paint.

When the car comes from the factory, the panels are dipped evenly into paint, whereas when there's body work that has been performed, it sprayed on, and it's nearly impossible to spray it on evenly down to a 10th of a mil.

If anyone is in the SF area, and want to check your car, let me know. I'll let you borrow it. It's a great tool to check cars. I'm glad everything worked out for you. It teaches us all a lesson. Do your homework!
Old 09-14-10, 05:46 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speeds27
You can't always trust a carfax or autocheck. I've used both and alot of times i've come across cars who've had body work that was done that wasn't reported. It might of been minor, or big, not too many ways to tell except to rip out all the panels and check the back, or measure the paint.

One thing i've invested in was a fendersplendor, dealers usually have them too, it measures how thick the paint is on the car down to 10ths of a mil. If the car has been repainted, there's no way they can match the factory paint.

When the car comes from the factory, the panels are dipped evenly into paint, whereas when there's body work that has been performed, it sprayed on, and it's nearly impossible to spray it on evenly down to a 10th of a mil.

If anyone is in the SF area, and want to check your car, let me know. I'll let you borrow it. It's a great tool to check cars. I'm glad everything worked out for you. It teaches us all a lesson. Do your homework!
that tool is great for checking paint on cars. But FYI, manufacturers do not dip panels into paint. They spray it on too, it's just they're spraying an unpainted surface and they have machines that cost god knows what. When repairing a car and spraying it by hand, it's not going to match the oem paint because body shops do not have the machinery and human error always comes into play.

Back to the OP, even if you had a CPO car, what would the warrantied have covered? MAYBE the alignment and front tires, but it wouldn't cover anything regarding your accident.

If the carfax is good, go to another dealer that only uses carfax. There are plenty of them. Or sell the car locally and print out the carfax and include it with the car. People care more about carfax these days then if the car was actually in an accident. Not every accident is a big deal.