Cam Gears Rattle & Rear View Mirror Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 02:38 PM
Nora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cam Gears Rattle & Rear View Mirror Problems

Hi all,

I just got my 2006 is250 back from the dealership. They informed me that the rattle/knock I hear for a few seconds right after start-up is due to cam gear problems. They can replace them for a cool $2,350. (My car is out of warranty.) I am holding off on that as I do not want to spend that type of money. I think this is the "TSB EG017-07 Engine - Brief Knock/Rattle On Cold Start Up." Any reason that I need to get this fixed immediately? Will it get worse/cause major problems? The service consultant didn't make it seem urgent. Is it possible to get this fixed by someone else for less $$?

Also, my rear view mirror is practically ruined. Something with the auto-dimmer has gone beserck, causing black lines all over the mirror. I can still see out of it, but it's not a nice view. Of course, Lexus would charge me $900 to replace the mirror. It seems ridiculous that this would have happened on a 4 year old car. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for a fix or cheaper replacement?

I am not car-savvy, so thank you all in advance for any help/advice!
Old 06-15-10, 02:40 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't make sense. It was a recall, why would you have to pay for it whether or not your warranty is out? I say talk to the someone about it cause the cam gear isn't something I'd let linger.
Old 06-15-10, 02:48 PM
Nora
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it's a recall, just a technical service bulletin. I have had all the recalls done on my car. I wish it was a recall!
Old 06-15-10, 03:10 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlike recalls, dealers are not obligated to repair TSB. I only wish they were since it was a design flaw by the manufacturer.

The only recall I heard of are the pedals and floor mats. If you don't care much about the compass and garage door opener, then you can always slap a third-party rear view mirror.

I used to have a Broadway Mirror to my rear view mirror because the factory ones are too small. I don't have enough view in the back. Skip the wide ones because they look tacky. It's easy to install, just clip it on to your mirror.

To replace the rear view mirror, it's not easy. It looks like you need to yank it off. It's probably held onto windshield by 3M tape. I'll let an expert confirm first...

Sorry to hear about you car issues.
Old 06-15-10, 03:20 PM
spicaly
Driver

i would think the first thing is covered by the powertrain warranty not the bumper to bumper

are you out of that coverage as well?
Old 06-15-10, 03:21 PM
ragzod
Rookie

WTF? I have a 2006 and have the exact same problems. First, my rear-view mirror is full of streaking black lines. I thought for sure a cleaning product was the cause, but they said something with the auto-dimmer??? How's that logical, I think its just cheap glass/plastic.

Second, it just started this week, but when I start my car I hear that rattle/knock you're describing. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it and was planning to have it checked. Of course, spending 2G's to fix it isn't something I looking forward to.

Are we approaching the shelf-life of these cars???
Old 06-15-10, 03:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the engine rattlling noise caused by faulty cam gears should be covered by the powertrain warranty - iirc, 75k miles/5 years.

if you can find a replacement rear view mirror unit - stem, base, and wiring + harness, it's not hard to replace it. there's a torx T20 screw holding the base of the rear view mirror to the windshield. remove that, unplug the wiring harness, and it comes right off. install is the opposite of removal.

and i doubt "we" are approaching the shelf-life of these cars. you show me any car, and i can say with a straight face that it is NOT completely bulletproof in terms of design and build quality.
Old 06-15-10, 04:28 PM
Nora
Driver School Candidate

Rag - we do have EXACTLY the same problems! Your description of the rear view mirror is mine to a T. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the mirrors would go bad like that this soon. It seems like they make it just good enough to last past the warranty.

That's very good information about the Powertrain Warranty. Like I said before, I'm not car-savvy, and I know this sounds absurd of me to say (what stupid idiot doesn't know this about her own car, right!?), but how do I know if I have that coverage still? I am under 75,000 (I'm at 71k) and the car was purchased 4 1/2 years ago. Any advice on how to proceed assuming I have this coverage? Anyone out there have the cam gears replaced under the powertrain?

I see online that I can easily buy a replacement rear view mirror from a different company for much cheaper... anyone have a website they recommend for parts?

Thanks all!
Old 06-15-10, 04:31 PM
Nora
Driver School Candidate

Just read online that the 2006 is250 drivetrain warranty is 6 years/70,000 miles which would mean I'm over by 1k miles!!! You've got to be kidding me Lexus!!!!
Old 06-15-10, 05:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i stand corrected, then.

"when it rains, it pours..."
Old 06-15-10, 05:48 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

go and see if they'll play the good guy and have it covered under warranty.
Old 06-15-10, 11:15 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Good thing I am getting mine replace as we speak under warranty. I hope they replace my F-sport springs too. Depending on how things go I have another 10k miles before I will decide if I want the extended or not.
Old 06-15-10, 11:22 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow you guys... err ppl, have some major miles on your cars, i got mine in 07 and im already getting depressed that im about to hit 20k... maybe next month or so
Old 06-15-10, 11:45 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
wow you guys... err ppl, have some major miles on your cars, i got mine in 07 and im already getting depressed that im about to hit 20k... maybe next month or so
I would have low miles on my car too if I bought it new since I only drive less than 10k a year and maybe even lower like 8k or less. The average I think is 12.5k or was it 15k a year from statistics? I have a buddy who drives back and forth from UC Davis to Fresno in his 2010 Prius and he has 25k already.
Old 06-16-10, 08:49 AM
AdioKIP
Driver

I had the camshaft work done about 2 months ago, luckily I still had about 5k miles left on my power train warranty. I wondered what the cost would be without warranty. $2350 seems ridiculous considering its a known issue, that from what I've heard is most likely to come back later down the line. You should contact lexus corporate, being just 1k over your warranty and it being a known issue Lexus should be more willing to work with you on the cost.

This really has me worried about keeping the car over the long term. I had the TSIB done but I dont want to get stuck with a $2400 bill 2 or 3 years from now when the gears act up again.