IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 09:02 AM
trotondo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord

I know there are threads already dedicated to hardwired detectors - i've searched through them and can't seem to find exactly what i'm looking for...

I have a V1 and an 8 inch invisicord. (cord picture below)

I've taken the mirror off, and tried several ways to plug into the back of the mirror's power cord.

I even went so far as to go to the dealer and they wouldn't do it because they didn't want to short anything out. I'm all for trial and error but they reminded me the mirror costs upwards of $1600 and, well, I'd rather not screw it up when i've only had the car for a month.

am i doing this right? does anyone know exactly which colors I should be plugging the cord into? maybe a picture of it?

A little frustrated at this point...and I feel kinda (really) stupid

Old 04-26-10, 06:36 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also hardwired my V1. I forgot which one goes to which color, but i will post pictures tonight at 9 when i get off work. its actually really easy.
Old 04-26-10, 06:41 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

I think its yellow to orange and black to blue, or vice versa. but than again, the 2010 rear view harness might be different from the 06-08 harness.
Old 04-26-10, 09:08 PM
TommyT
Lead Lap

Yeah the 2010 new rear view mirror harness are different from 06-08 model harnes.....
Old 04-27-10, 06:00 AM
trotondo
Driver School Candidate

yeah, it has to be - the guy on the website must have been going off old information because it just doesn't want to work.

i'll use the hardwire kit that came with the V1 and get it done to the drivers side fuse box, at least I know that will actually work.

now to get my refund...

thanks for the help everyone.
Old 04-27-10, 04:01 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trotondo
yeah, it has to be - the guy on the website must have been going off old information because it just doesn't want to work.

i'll use the hardwire kit that came with the V1 and get it done to the drivers side fuse box, at least I know that will actually work.

now to get my refund...

thanks for the help everyone.
ya you can do that, but get an add a circuit. works a lot easier.
Old 04-28-10, 09:58 AM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

I had my mirror replaced a week ago. I had to rewire my V1, and discovered not only is the mirror different, but so was the harness. I tested the wires with my volt meter, and found the switched 12v and ground. I took some pictures, but they are on my camera at home. I'll post up later.
Old 04-28-10, 10:25 AM
trotondo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TxAdamFitz
I had my mirror replaced a week ago. I had to rewire my V1, and discovered not only is the mirror different, but so was the harness. I tested the wires with my volt meter, and found the switched 12v and ground. I took some pictures, but they are on my camera at home. I'll post up later.
cool, thanks!
Old 04-28-10, 01:03 PM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Here are the images of the new mirror harness. I also discovered the actual mirror is adjustable at the base as well as at the mirror. Allowing you to adjust the height. I moved the mirror pretty close to the ceiling, allowing me to move the radar up as high as I could without the mirror blocking it.

The harness is difficult to remove from the mirror, so I tapped into the harness just beyond the headliner. I put down a towel to avoid dripping any hot solder onto the nav display, or any other interior parts. Individually wrapping each connection with electrical tape, and then all of with with electrical tape. It tucks nicely into the wiring cover when you're done.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord-dsc03889.jpg   V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord-dsc03890.jpg   V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord-dsc03891.jpg   V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord-dsc03896.jpg  
Old 04-28-10, 02:21 PM
TommyT
Lead Lap

can you tell us which color wires to tape on the wires on the cord

I appreciate your help

Thanks

Originally Posted by TxAdamFitz
Here are the images of the new mirror harness. I also discovered the actual mirror is adjustable at the base as well as at the mirror. Allowing you to adjust the height. I moved the mirror pretty close to the ceiling, allowing me to move the radar up as high as I could without the mirror blocking it.

The harness is difficult to remove from the mirror, so I tapped into the harness just beyond the headliner. I put down a towel to avoid dripping any hot solder onto the nav display, or any other interior parts. Individually wrapping each connection with electrical tape, and then all of with with electrical tape. It tucks nicely into the wiring cover when you're done.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by TommyT; 04-28-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 02:25 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TommyT
can you tell us which color wires to tape on the wires on te cord

I appreciate your help

Thanks
i think this is it.
stock black to inviscord green
stock white wire to inviscord red
Old 04-28-10, 02:28 PM
TommyT
Lead Lap

thank you so much

One moe question, will your V1 turn on and off automatic when you car on and off ?

Originally Posted by ISThree
i think this is it.
stock black to inviscord green
stock white wire to inviscord red
Old 04-28-10, 02:41 PM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

Yes sir, it is 12v switched. It acts just like it would as if it were plugged into your cig lighter.
Old 04-28-10, 02:44 PM
TxAdamFitz
Driver School Candidate

It is not actually solid white. There is a trace line along the side of it. I'm color blind, so I'm not much help there.
Both wires are on the same row, next to each other.

The darker wire was negative (-) - goes to GREEN RJ 11 V1
The white with a line was positive (+) - goes to RED RJ 11 V1

Last edited by TxAdamFitz; 04-28-10 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Had polarity swapped!
Old 08-19-11, 03:57 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

I just want to post here regarding tapping directly into the mirror... don't do it. My set up was fine for a few years, but then somehow the wire shorted. The result was a bunch of $$ spent on troubleshooting b/c when it shorted the mirror, then the power steering and AC would not work. They are all tied in together somehow, which is strange, but that's what it is.

So, don't tap off the mirror, or if you do, use a small fuse!

Quick Reply: V1 Hardwire in 2010 IS350 with Invisicord